Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ants, ants and more ants around the door frame

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery

2012, got a problem with a bunch of ants all the time.
Wife has a 2011, never problem, park in the same place other then work and nothing around the spot at work.
For some reason they seem to be aroud the driver side door. THe around the rubber molding gasket and plastic at the bottom of the door.
I'm seeing them all the time.
I spray and they die only to come back in short order like something is drawing them to the door area or truck.
Is there someplace that would hold water in the door or around the trim.
The trim is wet from time to time for no reason and dirt at the bottom at the holes that look like drains in the door skin.

Any thoughts, anyone else seen this.
BTW never see them on the outside of the truck around any tires or anyplace they would get on the truck.

Not reall seeing them inside other then a few as when you open the door some may come in.
most just around the Driver door and one time the PDoor.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Bizzare. Can't see why ants would nest in a truck. Do you have a lot of crap accumulating underneath from mudding or something? What would they nest in otherwise?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
that is weird..
I would really hesitate to spray pesticide on my truck.. that might not do well with the paint and plastics..
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
I use WD40 to kill ants.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I used lighter fluid once to kill a bees nest in the door of my VW bus.. I figured fire would do the trick.. didnt work out so well.. door went up in flames more than I expected.. threw a towel on it which also caught fire.. then dripped melted flaming towel on my girlfriends arm causing a bad burn that left a permenant scar.. so eh.. dont try that..
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I used lighter fluid once to kill a bees nest in the door of my VW bus.. I figured fire would do the trick.. didnt work out so well.. door went up in flames more than I expected.. threw a towel on it which also caught fire.. then dripped melted flaming towel on my girlfriends arm causing a bad burn that left a permenant scar.. so eh.. dont try that..
an unfortunate series of events...
Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Open the door , pop open the little cover at the base of the frame ( on the truck not the door ) towards the front fender , lots of debris can get caught in there
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
an unfortunate series of events...

pretty stupid. live and learn..
Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
409 works too. This happened on my old 95.5 tacoma and I had no mud on it no food crumbs etc. in my vehicle. I have no idea but I just dumped 7 dust all on them and where they were coming from then vacuumed out. I also spread the seven dust all on the ground around my truck and never saw them again
Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your user name is both fitting and is quite excellent.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
Bad Spuller

Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Had this problem with my old truck which had a water leak. I think they were water ants. I spayed it and cleaned out all the mud. I used the ortho home defense spray to keep them out. Worked for me.

I also sprayed every where I thought they could come in under the truck
Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
Since most ant species are genetically programmed to dig & tunnel, they don't usually nest in solid metal vehicles & similar. Thus, they're far more likely coming from somewhere else.

I'd look into where the truck is being parked for extended periods. Are you parking in an area (at home, at work, in the garage, etc) that is infested with ants? If so, you may want to address the problem at the source (by parking elsewhere, treating the problem area with pesticides, etc).
Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Open the door , pop open the little cover at the base of the frame ( on the truck not the door ) towards the front fender , lots of debris can get caught in there
Look here

Old 05-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Gooiegoogoo is on a distinguished road

Name: Gustavo
Gooiegoogoo's Tacoma Gallery
sprinkle a product called Maxforce Complete by Bayer in the truck and around the truck where ever you park it. It is a granular bait for ants which they take into the colony it works very well. If they are super tiny ants crush the granular into a powder to make it easy for them to carry and eat. Gid rid of the colony = get rid of ants in your truck.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm sorry man but that shit made me laugh out loud. Sorry about your girlfriend. It just sounded like one of those... "hold my beer and watch this!" moments.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
I'm sorry man but that shit made me laugh out loud. Sorry about your girlfriend. It just sounded like one of those... "hold my beer and watch this!" moments.
it was exactly that.. I had definitly had a few... too many....
Old 05-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Since most ant species are genetically programmed to dig & tunnel, they don't usually nest in solid metal vehicles & similar. Thus, they're far more likely coming from somewhere else.

I'd look into where the truck is being parked for extended periods. Are you parking in an area (at home, at work, in the garage, etc) that is infested with ants? If so, you may want to address the problem at the source (by parking elsewhere, treating the problem area with pesticides, etc).
Yep did that, wife has a year older truck and is next to mine other then work and the two guys I park next to never had a problem and we looked to see if they are around the parking lot in that area. Did not find any.

Truck does not go off road really, I pull on a farm path in Oct Nov Dec for hunting but not any mud and most the time never need 4x4.
Always parked on a hard surface for the most part.

It looks like it is in the door area and door only as I do not find only a few that are inside the truck.
Some try when you open the door.
I think they are around or behind the rubber seal in the door or the door it self. I may take some WD 40 and spray inside the drain holes at the bottom of the door.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Well, you can always try chemical warfare. Ants use scent trails to direct other ants in the colony to food sources, dangers, and so on. If ants are returning to that area over and over, it's likely been marked by such a scent trail. That scent can be easily overwhelmed by any strong chemical odor (perfume, Lysol spray, etc). Treat the area several times over a week or so and see if the problem disappears.

By the way, this same tactic can be used to completely destroy an ant nest. Stir up the nest using a stick or similar. Dig deep to get as many warrior ants to the surface as possible. Once enough warrior ants are on the surface to defend the nest, spray them with Lysol spray (the ammonia stings them and the perfume masks the scent of the other ants in the colony). Those warrior ants will then go about the task of killing every single ant (a perceived enemy) in the colony. Afterwards, they'll die because there are no worker ants finding food to feed them.