Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust

Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
mhollywood is on a distinguished road
mhollywood's Tacoma Gallery
Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust

I need some advice,

I have been negotiating the purchase of a 2011 Tacoma and had reached an agreement based upon the truck passing mechanical inspection.The Dealership where I live (Edmonton, AB) cleared the truck mechanically, however, I looked at the undercarriage and I am concerned with the amount of surface rust on the suspension, frame, exhaust etc.

According to the trucks current owner the vehicle has been sitting for the last six months. It is only a 2011 with ~25,000 Km's, is it normal for a new Tacoma to have this much rust? and what options would I have as a new owner to fix this issue if I do purchase the vehicle? Do you think that this rust will significantly lower the trucks resale value? Any and all advice is appreciated. I have included photos of the vehicle to give you some perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-1-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-2-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-3-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-4-.jpg  

Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-5-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-6-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-7-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-8-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-9-.jpg  

Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-10-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-11-.jpg   Purchasing 2011 TRD Access Cab Tacoma: Concerned about Undercarriage Rust-photo-12-.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
WAY to much rust for a 2011
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
arlypoo is on a distinguished road

Army: LdSH(RC)
Name: Arlin
arlypoo's Tacoma Gallery
I would avoid this truck if I were you.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Panzer is on a distinguished road

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. This is why I traded my 2006 in.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Are there any reasonably priced options (say less then $1500) to fix this issue?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery

I got a 2011 Tacoma and this is what the bottom of mine looks like. That Taco you're looking at has way too much rust.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
rickc5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rick
rickc5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 tacoma owner View Post
WAY to much rust for a 2011
OMG! Yes! Waaaay too much rust for a 2-year-old truck. Our '06 has hardly any rust at all (as a point of comparison).

Run away from THAT truck!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
lyodbraun is on a distinguished road

Army:
lyodbraun's Tacoma Gallery
My 2006 looks better than that... Man..before I took a wire brush and knocked Off most of the Rust that i saw then sprayed it with the truck bed coating i got from Lowes....
Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I could understand if the truck was from out in Eastern Canada. Or the truck was parked in a lake for those 6 months. That has way too much rust on it for being only 2 years old. Tacoma's are known for having rust on the undercarriage of the truck. If your truck was 5 years old then I could understand that. Being that it's only 2 years old makes me wonder where the truck was sitting for those 6 months. If I were you I wouldn't buy it. The great thing about the truck is that the km's are low and it's mechanically inclined. If you were going to sell the truck down the road after you buy it then you could run into the problem of the new people looking at it being concerned about the rust. I'm sure that it would make them wonder how well you took care of it. I would stay clear of this one and keep looking.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
asuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud of
asuchemist's Tacoma Gallery
isn't it still under warranty. Take it to dealership for rust.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Once again I really appreciate the feedback!

Apparently the current owners have asked Toyota if rust of this nature is covered and they were turned away. The owners have been really good and understand that the rust damage needs to be repaired in order for the truck to be sold. Do you guys have any experience with rust repair of this nature or what options there are to fix this sort of problem? I was thinking perhaps sand blasting and then an undercarriage coating could be a possibility... Any other suggestions? Or should I just follow the majority of your advice and give up the dream on this particular Taco.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhollywood View Post

Apparently the current owners have asked Toyota if rust of this nature is covered and they were turned away. The owners have been really good and understand that the rust damage needs to be repaired in order for the truck to be sold. Do you guys have any experience with rust repair of this nature or what options there are to fix this sort of problem? I was thinking perhaps sand blasting and then an undercarriage coating could be a possibility... Any other suggestions? Or should I just follow the majority of your advice and give up the dream on this particular Taco.
I personally would give up on this one. But if the price is right and your getting a heck of a deal, then go for it. Just recheck the rust again and see if it's fixable.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
That is definitely way to much rust for a two year old truck, my 08 has about the same if not a little more rust on the undercarriage. I am going to be keeping an eye on it, I live near the ocean so I guess it is to be expected.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
looks like it was in salt water for a month, move on not worth the hassle.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 has lived its life in new england and doesn't have that much rust
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 saw its share of salt and being near and on the beach and only had extremely minor surface rust here and there underneath. I would steer clear of that truck if it were me.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
I am the one who knocks!
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhollywood View Post

Just walk away! There is no 'fixing' this. I have a 2011 with 43k miles and have nowhere near this amount of rust, and I live in PA that salts the hell out if the roads. Just find another truck.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #20
Card1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCard1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1371 Combat Engineer, leave in july (currently highschool senior)
Card1's Tacoma Gallery
My 96 doesn't even have that much