1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which skid plate brand?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dizo, May 7, 2013.

1. May 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    Dizo

Dizo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    North of 62°, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB TRD Sport
    Aux Audio-input, 5100's @ 1.75", 2" Wheeler's AAL, LED Underhood Lighting, Anytime ABS-Off Switch,
    Just picked up a 2005 DCLB TRD Sport with 137 000km this weekend. Needs some A/T tires and some armor! I'm even missing the stock TRD skid plate.

What do people recommend for a front/IFS skid plate? I'm debating between the big names (relentless/AllPro/Bud Built ...) but i'm having a hard time deciding which one would be best to go with, considering price?

I dont plan on 4x4ing the truck hard, but i'd like more protection than the TRD plate would allow. I don't foresee full underbody plates in the near future, just the front for now.

Recommendations?

[​IMG]

2. May 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Being in Canada I'd probably say go with whatever you can get to you cheapest.

I'm partial to Relentless but they're all nice, well... I will say I don't like bud's IFS without the rest, it kind of just hangs off, waiting to snag shit in reverse and bend

3. May 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    Dizo

Dizo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    North of 62°, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB TRD Sport
    Aux Audio-input, 5100's @ 1.75", 2" Wheeler's AAL, LED Underhood Lighting, Anytime ABS-Off Switch,
    I'm close to the border so I'll be shipping to across the border and going to pick it up - not much of anything decent available here.

Good note on the bud built as I'll run just the IFS for a while. No quarrels with the All-Pro or Relentless then?

4. May 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Well...

I believe the new all pros come in 3/16 not 7 gauge or whatever they were using, a little stronger and about the same as everyone elses.

Sounds like you don't really need 1/4 but a few companies offer it.

A lot of guys on here Bash All Pro and some of their products are lame, but they do a lot for the off road community and I wouldn't have any qualms about buying select products from them, just gotta know which to avoid. :p But hell even Marlin's bumpers get trash talked by some and he's the best in the business when it comes to a lot.

Anyway... I wouldn't have any problem buying a 3/16 ifs skid with their older style, as shown on their website. I have seen a new revision where the front kind of steps and I'm not sure I like it, aesthetically or functionally.

At any rate Relentless skids cover more side to side but I think they may hang just a TAD bit lower. Which I guess could be good in the event you do cave the skid in a little... depending on your view. But it's not too much more than any others.

I made my own out of 3/16 plate very similar to everyone elses and I've caved it in till it was touching the diff but not that big of a deal IMO. Did it's job.

At any rate just throwing it all out there to be fair and honest.

If there is a chance that down the line you may want full skids you may want to consider which full set you like the most as if you mix and match you may have to take on some custom fabrication to get them all to work together. I don't much care for all pro's mid or t-case skid. I will honestly say I think the Relentless t-case skid cannot be beat.

I think all the other IFS skids are pretty much the same, 3/16 plate (though I know Relentless and ATO -- if you can still order them??-- offer 1/4) and pretty much the same design with maybe a little more or a little less coverage.

Oh and again I don't like the way bud's skids mount, they mount over the stock brackets and it's kind of a goofy setup IMO. IMO not as strong as the rest.

So again... of the ones I like I would say consider the full set options and then price shipped to you.

One last thought

All Pro and Relentless both offer the exhaust crossover skid for the t-case so you don't have to re-route your exhaust if you don't want to if you get the t-case skid. I think this is the only option for All Pro, Relentless will build either way.

Not fond of ATOs t-case skid, not fond of all pros, uhh who else...?

That's about all I can remember for now.

5. May 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Relentless is pretty good about minimizing exposed bolts on the full set too.

Also, Derrick of Famous Fabrication out of Vegas has a nice IFS skid if he's still selling them but I don't think has a full set, and it'd take a lot of extra work to mount any others up since he doesn't have any plate on the back at all. Still a nice IFS skid.

Sorry, lots of after thoughts, can you tell? :D

Price, options, design, needs, long term????

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. May 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    Matt123 is in Canada right? I got his skid plate and it is awesome. Look it up.

andrewtheadventurer likes this.
  7. May 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This guy is in Canada and is making armour for Toyota Landcruisers and more recently Tacomas

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6415010#post6415010

8. May 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    I got the Relentless full set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. May 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  10. Nov 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Raising this one from the dead. Starting to shop for skids. I'm not sure if I'll do the gas tank, but def want to cover everything else. I've mostly been looking at All Pro (local-ish), ATO, Relentless, and Pelfreybilt.

I'm not a crawler, but like to have fun in my truck and would probably be more adventurous with some protection.

11. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    I've ordered the AllPro IFS and trans skids and they should be delivered on Monday. I'll let you know what I think after I paint/install them.

12. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    JDawg562

JDawg562 Derp.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007,TRD Off-Road, Access Cab
    Here's mine lol 2$ swap meet!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Nov 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    Pelfreybilt

Pelfreybilt Pelfreybilt Off-Road, Inc.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pelfreybilt
    El Cajon, California
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    ~ Pelfreybilt aluminum 4runner front bumper and Rocksliders coated by Line-X San Diego ~ Baja Designs- LED Lighting Grill with LED lightbar & 40" roof rack lightbar ~ Rigid Industries rock lights ~ Front Runner Outfitters roof rack, fridge slide & bottle opener ~ CVT Rooftop Tent & Awning ~ Goose Gear storage drawers ~ Katzkin Leather seat covers ~ Switch-Pro control kit ~ Factor 55 Flatlink ~ WARN VR8000-S Winch ~ Fuel Offroad Trophy Wheels ~ Goodyear Kevlar Tires ~ ICON Vehicle Dynamics Stage 5 kit. Appx 2.5" lift ~ ARB lockers, skid plates & 50qt Fridge ~ JL Audio custom stereo system
    We sell all 4 skids: IFS, MID, REAR (with or without exhaust reroute) & Gas)
    Steel Options in all 4
    Aluminum Options in 3. Kept the Gas skid Steel because it only weighs 31# anyway!

We would love to earn your business and we do ship to Canada so message me if you're interested! :)

14. Nov 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    floodedkiwi

floodedkiwi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Naw'lins, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 GMC AT4
    Dog.
    Here is my Matt123 front skid. It's not a hard core bash plate, but does do well in the snow...

image.jpg

15. Nov 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
  16. Nov 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    At the end of the day most all of the skids are going to do their job and really just comes down to the best customer service, and cheapest shipping options.

I went with relentless fab stuff since he shipped Fastenal and I could go pick them up in the states. However, I had to modify them to fit better (rattling, bolt holes not lining up well etc.) minor stuff but still.

Just some FYI stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top