Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Diff Locker Question

Old 02-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #41
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Let me get this straight before I get super excited on my choice...

For the Eaton TrueTrac LSD that will be a peg leg until it slips? Or does it run 50/50 to both wheels but adjusts according to turns on the road, gravel, slippage etc? Can someone please clarifiy the way the LSD works to ensure that I am not mistaken.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #42
bk1 is just really nicebk1 is just really nicebk1 is just really nicebk1 is just really nicebk1 is just really nice

Law Enforcement:
bk1's Tacoma Gallery
Janster, you got a point there.. it would be an easy fix when you can hear the air loss... never thought about that.. i know i have a meter, wire and some crimps with me when i got out... cuz you just never know. i guess both have their advantages and OBA is always a bonus...

I was just leaning aways from having 2 switches on my dash for the locker as the real estate is gettin thin

will i have to get a new carrier if i go with a locker, or can i just drop in a locker?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #43
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Scratch the whole Detroit truetrac idea .... Called them just now and they don't make it for our trucks yet. It's just not in the cards for me to get what I want.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #44

^ Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket LSD for our trucks? I am kinda set on doing that vs. the ARB air locker.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #45
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
^ Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket LSD for our trucks? I am kinda set on doing that vs. the ARB air locker.
Im running the TRD LS in the rear of mine. I got it put in before I picked up my truck. I was told it was different than the one in the TRD Spot package, and that the LS in the Sport package is a 2 pinion LS while the one I have is a 4 pinion LS. From what I have dug up, all the TRD LS diffs in the second gens are 4 pinion. Im happy with the LS so far. When I get a tire off the ground, It seems to transfer power pretty well. Maybe see if Torsen makes an LS diff for the Tacoma. They slip to a given point, but never allow 1 tire to receive all the torque.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #46
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I found this Eaton posi LSD on ebay. It is for the 8.4" 12 bolt rears (non TRD PreRunner, and 4x4). You could probably find this same LSD for about 50 bucks less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-09...206169003r8606

Here is a Detroit TrueTrac I found on Jegs. The website claims it will only fit 95-05 Tacoma but I would check into that. It is also for the 8.4" 30 spline rear end. Does anyone know if it this will fit your 05+ 8.4 rears?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit+Locker...3A541/10002/-1
Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #47

^ I think ours are 9.something not the same unfortunately.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #48
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty darn sure it is the '8.4' rear end. From what I have been told and read the 8.4 is actually a 8 inch ring gear but a beefier setup then the TRD '8'. The open 4x4 (non-TRD) '8.4' utilize the same rear differential setup as the PreRunner.

Can anyone add some incite into this? I am just repeating what I have been told from manufactures and some reputable sources on this site, although have not actually pulled my third member yet.

Bill Brasky looks like he is running this same rear, maybe he can chime in.

I'm starting to get confused my self... I need some backup on this one!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #49
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4's and Prerunners without the E locker have an 8.4" rear. The TRD Off Road (with the E-locker) has an 8", and a different houseing.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
4x4's and Prerunners without the E locker have an 8.4" rear. The TRD Off Road (with the E-locker) has an 8", and a different houseing.
Hmm than Eaton must have there facts mixed up.. I called on Monday morning to find out what setup would be for my truck and the guy said that they haven't made one yet for my year and he mentioned that I have a 9.4 or something like that rear. I am going to call again tomorrow morning and hopefully talk to somebody else because he discouraged me!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Im running the TRD LS in the rear of mine. I got it put in before I picked up my truck. I was told it was different than the one in the TRD Spot package, and that the LS in the Sport package is a 2 pinion LS while the one I have is a 4 pinion LS. From what I have dug up, all the TRD LS diffs in the second gens are 4 pinion. Im happy with the LS so far. When I get a tire off the ground, It seems to transfer power pretty well. Maybe see if Torsen makes an LS diff for the Tacoma. They slip to a given point, but never allow 1 tire to receive all the torque.
What did you pay from the dealer? Did they sell just the LSD or did you have to buy the whole rear diff? I also looked into Torsen but unfortunately they don't make an aftermarket for our truck.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
What did you pay from the dealer? Did they sell just the LSD or did you have to buy the whole rear diff? I also looked into Torsen but unfortunately they don't make an aftermarket for our truck.
I cant remember what I paid for it. It was a little pricey.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #53
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And there you go.

I don't know why I can't remember this info.