Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Diff Locker Question

Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Diff Locker Question

Hey guys,

I am back to debating if I should add the locking feature to my rear diff. i like the option of being able lock if I need to.

Does this look like something that could work? If not what do you guys recommend for something cost efficient.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think thats the right thing ur looking for. That is saying it engages when power and disengages when u let off the gas. I dont think its the same thing. Let others chime in though.

But if you got the $ definitely get the locker. I love mine!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
That is what is referred to as a lunchbox locker or Automatic lockers.

Yes, it can work but you should do some research before installing it.

They are a permanent locker that's constantly working. It is not daily-driver friendly unless you're willing to put up with the mannerisms. They can POP and BANG while driving to release torque that builds up in the diff. They give the truck a different driving characteristic (aceleration, turning, etc) and you have to be careful driving in snow/wet.

Do not install one of these in the front diff.

Scroll down to Automatic Lockers:
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limit...ferentials.htm

Although an ARB is the most expensive, it's the BEST for all around purposes of daily driving & offroading.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Thanks guys! I am going to look into the ARB air locker. That seems to be a better choice. I thought the one above locked only under slippage. Guess that was wrong lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
^ yeah, you can get a Lock Right.

Some guys over at TTORA have them in new gen tacos.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
The "click" is hit or miss, IMO. Seems like some installs are louder than others. (this opinion based on Lock-Rights in pre-05 tacos/runners)

Some are very noticeable and some are very dull and easy to drown out. I have no idea why.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #9

I like the inexpensive idea of the lunch box locker. But since I use my truck a lot for work would you recommend going this route? I clean pools so drive from house to house every day. If not I'm guessing the ARB air locker is what I should do. I wish there was a kit that initiated the lock only when slipping.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad you didnt post up wanting a locker about a week and a half ago. TRDparts4U had an ARB listed on ebay that was forgotten stock they found and listed it for only $450 BIN +25 shipping. It was a steal, I almost bought it.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
Too bad you didnt post up wanting a locker about a week and a half ago. TRDparts4U had an ARB listed on ebay that was forgotten stock they found and listed it for only $450 BIN +25 shipping. It was a steal, I almost bought it.
Now I'm depressed lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Now I'm depressed lol.
Yeah me too. It actually didnt sell the first time around, then they relisted it and I was about to buy it but it was sold when I went to get it. Damn Oh well, ended up using the money for something else for my truck. I'm on my way to go pick up a used Warn XD9000i multimount winch in a few min.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
I like the inexpensive idea of the lunch box locker. But since I use my truck a lot for work would you recommend going this route? I clean pools so drive from house to house every day. If not I'm guessing the ARB air locker is what I should do. I wish there was a kit that initiated the lock only when slipping.

Look into the Detroit TruTrac. It is not selectable, although appears to be exactly what you are looking for based on the quote. The TruTrac is considerably less expensive (about half the cost installed) than the ARB and has a very good reputation for reliability and strength.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...trac/index.htm
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Look into the Detroit TruTrac. It is not selectable, although appears to be exactly what you are looking for based on the quote. The TruTrac is considerably less expensive (about half the cost installed) than the ARB and has a very good reputation for reliability and strength.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...trac/index.htm
Nice! When you mean its not selectable does that mean you can't turn it on or off it does that by itself? I am going to give them a call and see what they have to offer our trucks. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #15

Does anybody know if there is a part # for the Detroit TruTrack LSD? I also heard of a guy having a problem with the bults revers threading out and damaging his whole rear end... Hope its something they fixed.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #16
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
perfect timing on this thread, I was just kinda kicking myself in the ass for not getting the TRD with the locker
I was thinking about getting dealer parts if they use the same rear end. I have a friend who can get parts at cost from toyota. Or should I just go after market? It's mostly a daily driver, but I do like to go fast in the dirt.
but this peg leg doesn't cut it.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBtaco View Post
perfect timing on this thread, I was just kinda kicking myself in the ass for not getting the TRD with the locker
I was thinking about getting dealer parts if they use the same rear end. I have a friend who can get parts at cost from toyota. Or should I just go after market? It's mostly a daily driver, but I do like to go fast in the dirt.
but this peg leg doesn't cut it.
I would recommend aftermarket. I have heard that the stock isn't as good as the aftermarket stuff. But I might be wrong. How much can you get the rear locker for from your guy?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
To add, when Janster said they will "pop" and "BANG" she meant they will POP and BANG.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #19

So I am still on the fence as to what I should get? Should I go ARB Air Locker? Or Eaton "Detroit TrueTrac"?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
To add, when Janster said they will "pop" and "BANG" she meant they will POP and BANG.
Lol was that for the lunchbox locker? I am not going to go that route since I don't want to have my rear end fully locked at all times. I think the LSD from Eaton is the way to go.