1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

~2" lift sought - read everything - seeking experiential input

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sportsguy, May 8, 2013.

1. May 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    sportsguy

sportsguy [OP] searchgeek

Member:
    OK, so to help douse the fires that I'm sure some have lit already, I have read the uber thread about suspension mods, etc.

I've kinda concluded that I do not want to go the 5100 route (call me 93% sure). If I end up with a heavier bumper than planned, the stock springs will be too weak. Stepping up the springs, etc., etc., just puts me on the path to an actual kit.

Having built two Jeeps for offroading previously, I understand the pros and cons that come along with piecing together a lift v. a kit designed to work together. I've seen both scenarios work well, and both scenarios fail miserably.

What I seek for my 2011 Tacoma (4x4, 4cyl, 5 speed, reg cab w/cup holders) is:
    • 1 - 2 inches of lift, max
    • same or better ride quality compared to stock (understanding it'll be firmer, but you have to have a goal)
    • same (at least) load carrying capacity
    • cost, while not an issue per se, should be reasonable - not interested in a $5k package, but $1500 and under is welcome to come partay... ;)
    How I use my truck:
    • Commuting
    • Highway travel (to Portland, to Vancouver (BC), around Rainier National Park, etc.
    • Light to moderate offroading (maybe every couple of months)
    Some insight into my mind (warning!, warning!):
    • I prefer things over-qualified and slightly under-taxed
    • I happily take bypasses to watch other tackle the toughest obstacles, but it's nice to know that if push came to shove, the truck is capable of tackling those obstacles.
    I did come across an OME kit, but man, that ARBUSA site is a wreck - no descriptions, repetitively using the same images for different products - bottom line is it's tough to know WTF is the right option for the Tacoma.

So, if you've got experience that can help me, fire away. Not interested in theories. ;)

As always, many thanks in advance gang!

2. May 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Might wanna go 884's , he has a reg cab

3. May 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    subbed.
    You said what I'm looking around for too, perhaps even less lift for me.

4. May 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I'm looking 883's, 1.25-1.5" lift, which is still more than I'm looking for. They're rated 590lb 375 mm fwiw.

5. May 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    The cupholders change everything, good think you mentioned that :D. For 1-2 inches you could keep it real basic. Swap out the front shocks with 5100s and preload the stock coils for .85" or 1.75" of lift up front and leave the rear wnd stock. But it sounds like you are lookig for a little more than that and said you are not intersted in just 5100s. I am very happy with my OME setup, but i run 885s and dakars, you are not looking for that much lift. Sounds like 883s will give you the amount of lift you are looking for. Another option is eibach coils paired with 5100s set at zero. That will give you about 1.6" of lift up front. The spring rate on eibachs is stiffer than OME. OME = #590 Eibachs = #620 i think. So the eibachs may be a good choice if you plan on adding a plate bumper, plus you can change the settings on the 5100s for an additional .85" of lift in the future. As for the rear, there isnt as many options for >2". I would recomend a 3 leaf progresive AAL because i have heard they ride nice. I forgot to mention the iron man 2" full lift kit if you are looking for a complete setup with new leaf springs, not as popular as the other options

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. May 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    sportsguy

Member:
    Now that's interesting...because they talked themselves out of selling me my truck when I shopped there...LOL

Question Beavis - any issues with driveline vibes after the install?

Still worth checking out.

And thanks everyone else for the input. Lot's to consider. Just checked out Wheeler's OME kits.

I'll admit that I *want* to like the 5100 options, as I used to run Bilstein's on my Jeeps and they were simply excellent shocks. ;)

Back to the research... :)

7. May 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    If youre set on a OME setup down south motorsports has great prices. Get the dakars and pull the 3rd leaf from the top out. Thats what i did and i have 1/2" of rake with 885s up front. So with 884s or 883s the rear wouldnt be to much higher than the front.

8. May 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    He has a 4cyl reg cab

9. May 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    True. But that would effect the amount of lift achieved up front more than it would effect the amount of lift in the rear is what i was thinking.

10. May 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    especk has a reg cab with an OME lift I believe

11. May 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    On second thought, and considering the average dakar measuments in your thread, cab size will effect the amout of lift in the rear.

12. May 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yep

13. May 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    sportsguy

Member:
    OK, so to summarize where we are to date:

Kit options:

Old Man Emu (using 884 coils), from a retailer/shop of my choice (with one local recommendation noted)
    Ironman - looks like I can piece together a kit, but the USA supplier site says no "kit" exists - I have an email into them now to find out 'sup...

Brew my own:
    OME 884 coils
    Eibach coils
    Bilstein 5100s front and rear

So, what to do for rear leaf packs...? I've run AAL in a Jeep Cherokee before and was happy. Happier with the full replacement leaf pack, mind you, but you know, just sayin'...

OME Dakars were mentioned as possible rear leaf options, but are they too much lift for my application? ARB site comes to the suck again, failing to note and product specs. Random searching brings up the basic suggestion that the OME "heavy" kit is what you want if you have an aftermarket bumper or plan to add one (my case).

...and while we're thinking of adding bumpers, should I step up to the 885 coils, over the 884s to account for the added weight?

Of course, if I order an aluminum bumper, all this is shot to hell...LOL

14. May 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
  15. May 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    sportsguy

Member:
    Well, just called the local dealer (as suggested). Not sure about this option. I want to like it, but... The range in price was between $1500 and $1800...

She told me the heavy duty option is an extra $200 $300 dollars - she didn't know which amount exactly - and she had zero idea why the price difference. I explained that online sites allow me to choose my spring and the price doesn't change. She then suggested because their cost was higher, so would be mine. Moving past that point, she then suggested maybe it was harder to install...but we know that's not the case.

I think the real reason is because they know if you're going for the heavy duty option, you're about to spend another grand or so on a bumper, so what's an extra couple hundy outta your pocket to them, right? Or if you already have the bumper, you'll need the extra support and they jack the price a bit due to your "need".

Maybe I'm just too cynical when it comes to car dealers, though and maybe those springs do actually cost more and I'm seeing things online incorrectly...*sigh*

16. May 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I think the springs are the same price, refering to OME 883-886. 883-885 have the same spring rate but different lengths. 886s have a higher spring rate and they are a few mm taller than 885s. Like someone else said, try calling or emailing one of the vendors on the site, i would highly recomend DSM they will help you out with questions, probably same with wheelers and toytec

17. May 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    I know that it is expensive. But what about an Icon set up? Don't they give ~2" of lift.

18. May 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    sportsguy

Member:
    Possibility - haven't researched them yet... ;)

19. May 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Yep most high end coilovers are adjustable and you can set them at 0-3" of lift

20. May 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    They might be a pricey for his purpose but still an option.

Products Discussed in

To Top