Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First Generation vs. Second Generation

Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #41
creeksdrummer is on a distinguished road
creeksdrummer's Tacoma Gallery
In 2000 I bought the my first new vehicle. A 2001 4X4 tacoma Xtra cab V6 and I was in heaven! I babied that truck and had it until November of 08. I just had my 2nd child and needed a double cab for 2 car seats. I didn't want to sell it but had to. I went to the dealer and traded in my baby for an off-lease 05 dbl cab trd off road. They put my 01 on the lift and the frame was rotted through. This thing was garaged its entire life! So far, I love the 2nd gen, but I am a bit afraid of the durability. My 01 was unbelievable. I did nothing but oil changes and a timing belt in 125k. I hope my 05 doesn't let me down, because it is a much nicer truck to drive.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both and liked them both but I like my 2nd gen better.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #44
firefightermdc is just really nicefirefightermdc is just really nicefirefightermdc is just really nicefirefightermdc is just really nicefirefightermdc is just really nice

Firefighter:
firefightermdc's Tacoma Gallery
love my first gen, but would dump it to get a dc 2nd gen...but i want to have my cake and eat it too, so when the first gen is paid off, i will go buy a nice dc second and wheel the hell out of the first gen
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #45
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
I wish the first gens had foglights and a power outlet in the bed like the 2nd gens do.

Other than those two things, there is nothing that the 2nd gen has that I wish my first gen had!

My biased vote goes to first gen!
i have aux lights and a power inverter that i can throw in the bed...does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
..well there's a WHOLE lot more 2nd-genners here than 1st, and it is undeniable that they always show the love for the 1st-genners whenever this type thread comes up. Having said that, I say while you already know MY feelings about the 1st, the 2nd has a set of attributes all its own that make it an alltime great truck-rugged tall and handsome, making the other guys look like a box on wheels-a V6 that thinks it's a V8-excellant materials-unbreakable offroad-and reliability. I say both gens have things that serve the owner very well!
x2

i had my heart set on a 2nd gen swb at one point in time...then i drove my 02...and havent fallen out of love yet

one day ill upgrade...but only to something able to tow my 1st gen to and from the trails
Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #46
Still For Sale
BUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to all

Army: Chinook Crew 101st ABN
BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
What do you call the Pre-first gen trucks? Do they count. My brother had an 84 that we beat to hell and back and it never gave up. Then we dropped a Ford 351 V8 under the hood and that thing would climb walls. But if that don't count then I'm gunna have to represent the second gens (09 specifically). My brother has an 08 DC TRD now, and I have my 09. A couple of his buddies have first gens, but I think the 2Gs look a lot beefier, and are better equiped. Especially the 09's. I love my backup camera and LED taillights. The "rear" speakers suck ass though, but that is my only complaint.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #47
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
1rst gen FTW, nothing beats it, Trail tested I say the 1rst gen wins. they both have there bad points, frames and motor mounts. but in the end the 1rst gen is an amazing truck!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #48
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen until death....

There is just something about it you can't capture until you drive it. The you realize it has to be one of the best trucks ever made.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #50
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
^Hey, I didn't notice I made sig worthy. Nice! Way to represent!

I like the look of the 2001-2004 the most out of all of the Tacos, but I love my 2nd Gen. Bigger size, loads of power compared to weight. Comfort of a car with the ruggedness only a Taco can have.

Le sigh.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #52
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my take on that because I really wanted the 1st gen taco but never got one. I'll be the first to admit Im glad I waited, BUT on that note... one could be the daily commuter and the other would be the "Toy" for off-roading, projects, modifications, mudding, etc. Yes two of the same gen. would be freakin' awesome, but variety is my spice of life too. Food for thought.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #53
Member of the Goat Army
billybobsgoat will become famous soon enough

billybobsgoat's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^Honestly, I'm in "pay off debt" mode now, but when I'm done I want a 1st gen for a "fun" truck.
X2
Old 02-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #54
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 06, but as soon as that is payed off I'm giving that to the wife and buying a 1st Gen, I have always loved that boby style. I will have the best of both worlds, and a wife that loves to drive a Tacoma 4X4. We will even have a 99 Camry 4cyl paid off and in great shape.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #55
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
I originally fell in love the the 1st Gen Doublecab TRD Tacomas in Rad Red. I test drove it and it felt well built but lacked things to make me fork over so much $$$$. I didnt like he small bed, the very boring interior, and non beefy look. I mean, I loved it but just not enough to buy it. So I went with a sports car.

However this time around I got the 2nd Gen 07 TRD Tacoma in Rad Red. The body design, interior, large bed (SB), and peppy engine did it for me. Then I can't go wrong with $5200 off MSRP @ 3.9%. So I bought my new baby home.

I'd go with the 2nd Gen. However all Tacomas can't be a bad choice. I look forward in buying a 3rd Gen...
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #56
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
We have 2, 16 year old boys and are getting them ready for their own Tacoma 4X4's. Sometimes life is very good.