1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locks and windows work, but passenger door won't open...HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Micke.223, May 10, 2013.

1. May 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    Micke.223

Micke.223 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Pennsyvlania
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Venture Shield 3M Clear Bra, 40% Front Tint, EGR Slimline In-Channel Visors, Weahther Tech Mats, Okole Seat Covers, Stant 10504 Locking Fuel Cap, Dyno Lock, G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover
    Hi folks,
    My 2009 Tacoma DC is doing something weird. The electric locks work, the electric windows work, and the locks respond when I use the key. BUT, the passenger door won't open from the inside OR outside. I don't know of a way to get behind the door panel with the door closed. The Stealership wants to break it, along with the lock and handle linkcage, to access the door mechanism and then charge me $1,200 to replace everything. :mad: Can anyone think of a way for me to get in there and at least pop the door open so that I can remove the door panel and see what's going on? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Mickey

2. May 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    Roll the window down and try holding the inside latch open while pulling on the outside one. Sorry, but that's all I can think of. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

3. May 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    Activator rod has become dislodged. Easy to fix, but a real pain in the ass to get open.

Roll window all the way down. Use a light, and look for the little lever that the metal rod pulls on to pop the latch. Get a stiff wire and hook that latch. If you need reference, open the other side door and pop off the inner cover. That will show you what to look for.

Edit: if you care to drive up to Rochester, I could fix it for you inside 20 minutes. And I will only charge you a couple of beers.

4. May 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    Micke.223

Micke.223 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Pennsyvlania
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Venture Shield 3M Clear Bra, 40% Front Tint, EGR Slimline In-Channel Visors, Weahther Tech Mats, Okole Seat Covers, Stant 10504 Locking Fuel Cap, Dyno Lock, G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover
    Thanks for the quick replies chilidogrc and rleete! You guys are awesome! I'll try it when I get home.

rleete: I thank you greatly for the generous offer. Heck, I'd love to drive and visit Rochester just for the heck of it. Unfortunately, this being Mother's Day weekend, I'm afraid I'd come home to clean spots on the rug where my stuff used to be if I took a road trip...no matter what the cause. Regardless, you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks much.

Respectfully,
    Mickey

Products Discussed in

To Top