LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Because Baja!

Old 05-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #21
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
Well I guess I feel honored to be the only one called out in this thread...
haha i wasn't paying attention who said what, i just picked a couple to respond to. i didn't think i was calling anyone out, just responding.

as far as a poor value and only for street/dirt road use, my toytec ulk served me well over the last 3 years taking me through moab and durango/silverton. i don't intend to risk my dd on anything more technical than that.

people have paid more than i did for an ome system, imo that is a poor value. for just a few hundred more than the toytec ulk i have shocks that are better, valved for my application, bump stops, brake line bracket extension, etc...

there will always be someone with a better or cheaper setup than you, i try not to sweat it. i bought what i thought suited my needs.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
Well I guess I feel honored to be the only one called out in this thread...
I'm just surprised this didn't go Master overnight.

Brandon, I'm glad you're happy, and I hope it works well for you. It should do what you want, and you're right, there shouldn't be any surprises.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, he overpayed for the stuff. But he didn't get bad stuff.

You could have bought Bilstein shocks w/o going through a Toyota Stealership.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #24
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post

Did you read the thread title?
There's your answer.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #25
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Cool stuff. Enjoy the setup..
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post

Several people obviously agree with you, and everyone may be right, but can you price everything I received out and put some #'s down?

Let's try and figure out how much I overpaid instead of just repeating what others have said.

We'll start with the rear shocks, they're $379 from Downsouth (we won't worry about the "custom valving" that TRD does)

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-11...2013-pair.html

Can you find some Bilstein 9100's and the Eibach springs anywhere?

How about the brake line bracket? (might have to just price some longer brake lines)

Bump stops?

If anyone needs to see the 9100s next to 5100s for a size reference I can take a pic. These new front shocks dwarf the 5100s
Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #27
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
Several people obviously agree with you, and everyone may be right, but can you price everything I received out and put some #'s down?

Let's try and figure out how much I overpaid instead of just repeating what others have said.

We'll start with the rear shocks, they're $379 from Downsouth (we won't worry about the "custom valving" that TRD does)

Can you find some Bilstein 9100's and the Eibach springs anywhere?

How about the brake line bracket? (might have to just price some longer brake lines)

Bump stops?

If anyone needs to see the 9100s next to 5100s for a size reference I can take a pic. These new front shocks dwarf the 5100s

The set up you got is great and you paid a lot less than I did. If it suits your needs then that is all that matters. How about the fact that I threw a plate steal bumper on my stock baja lost hardly any lift. I would like to put a slightly beefier spring on, but I don't have to. People hate on the baja set up, but when the tires hit the ground it is a great and capable suspension. It's not the best, but it is way better than OME or Toytech.

Please do put up a picture of the baja shock next to the 5100! Congrats on the set up.

Here is my truck with just the bumper and the baja suspension. I wheeled it pretty hard that day and it did very well. I will have it out in MOAB at the end of May. We will see how it does out there. (mine is at the start of the video, but obviously not in the thumbnail)

http://youtu.be/8JBLOPTUAD8
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #28
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
I think you did pretty good for $1500. That's a nice middle ground between the Bilstien 5100 setup and a full King/Icon/Fox setup.

I also think that this dealer is going to get fried if too many people call about this kit since they aren't allowed to sell it. Every other dealer I asked turned me down when I attempted this myself.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't mind having the baja suspension on my truck one bit. It really gives the truck a nice little front end lift over stock, and the performance is nice.

I wasn't aware the price range it fell into, but that's because most of the bullshit you hear is "oh its just 5100's on regular eibachs and some 5160s out back is all". Nice kit though for what it is compared to stuff similarly priced.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
I think you did pretty good for $1500. That's a nice middle ground between the Bilstien 5100 setup and a full King/Icon/Fox setup.

I also think that this dealer is going to get fried if too many people call about this kit since they aren't allowed to sell it. Every other dealer I asked turned me down when I attempted this myself.
For clarity, I posted that link after searching for the part number. The OP never disclosed his source.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #31
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #32
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
It's not the best, but it is way better than OME or Toytech.
Uh, unless you need load capacity or increased clearance.

"way better" depends on application.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
mynameistory has a spectacular aura aboutmynameistory has a spectacular aura about
Name: Tory
mynameistory's Tacoma Gallery
You know what else? Brandon took a risk and did something no one else on TW has done before: get the TRD Baja suspension and get it ready to put it on a non-Baja truck. Until a few of the early adopters do this and report with results, everyone else is just pissing in the wind when they claim it's a poor value. It's not just about counting inches of lift you mouth-breathers.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistory View Post
You know what else? Brandon took a risk and did something no one else on TW has done before: get the TRD Baja suspension and get it ready to put it on a non-Baja truck. Until a few of the early adopters do this and report with results, everyone else is just pissing in the wind when they claim it's a poor value. It's not just about counting inches of lift you mouth-breathers.
What, pray tell, is the risk?

The Baja suspension may be fine for plenty of people for what they intend to utilize their vehicle for.

Considering $1500 (which may or may not be what he paid) will get you a set of top tier coilovers from King, Icon, Fox and a set of rear shocks to match, I don't see the value in the purchase. If you think this TRD equipment is going to hold a candle to the race-houses in any metric, you're smoking something potent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post

I would've gone with this package for that dollar figure myself:

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-89...-1-system.html

Quote:

Bump stops?
Front brake line and bump stop changes are unnecessary for 2" of lift, but if you really want to, you can use the extra $125 left over after purchasing the Icon kit I linked above to pick up extended brake lines:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomabrakes.htm (scroll to the bottom)

And some superbumps:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomasuperbumps.htm
Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #35

Bilstein:

5160, 5100, 9100

Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
well heres another member alegav doin a little jump after a bit of coaxing in his 2012 baja(the black one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGpk_ve_5Vo
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good Brandon###
Pretty beefy
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
What, pray tell, is the risk?

The Baja suspension may be fine for plenty of people for what they intend to utilize their vehicle for.

Considering $1500 (which may or may not be what he paid) will get you a set of top tier coilovers from King, Icon, Fox and a set of rear shocks to match, I don't see the value in the purchase. If you think this TRD equipment is going to hold a candle to the race-houses in any metric, you're smoking something potent.

I would've gone with this package for that dollar figure myself:

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-89...-1-system.html

Front brake line and bump stop changes are unnecessary for 2" of lift, but if you really want to, you can use the extra $125 left over after purchasing the Icon kit I linked above to pick up extended brake lines:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomabrakes.htm (scroll to the bottom)

And some superbumps:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomasuperbumps.htm
the icon stage 1 kit is nice, the front shocks are probably better than mine, but i would rather have my 5160s out back. the brake line bracket is for the rear beacause of the extra travel, the bump stops are for the front

either way i dont think i would be able to tell a difference from the driver's seat for the type of stuff we do. we dont drive fast off road which is probably where the icons would shine.

it would be cool to see a shock dyno comparison test between all of the big shock mfrs
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #39
O-------l
Del Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Del Scorcho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
why OEM? it's meant to be as cheap to Toyota as possible. I'm just saying with a site like TW and all the aftermarket available, why OEM?
With that logic, I guess you'd better just scrap the whole F'n truck and just rebuild everything yourself.

It's his money, he did his homework. Why the hell should he have to justify his decision to all of you???? If you don't like the set up or think is a bad deal. DON'T BUY IT!

OP: Keep us updated when you get the install done and they break in. I wanna know how they run.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Scorcho View Post
With that logic, I guess you'd better just scrap the whole F'n truck and just rebuild everything yourself.
maybe they will come out with an icon edition taco and then we can give everyone hell for having OEM shocks

Products Discussed in this Thread