Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Because Baja!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #142
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
OP do you know how long your springs are uncompressed?

The springs are 14" tall uncompressed.

The front shocks have 2 height settings. Can you measure the distance from your bottom spring mount to the top of the TRD/Bilstein label, so I can tell which one is used from the factory?

edit: I guess you could tell which setting is being used without measuring. If you can see the groove just above the TRD/Bilstein label they must use the higher setting.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #143
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainbrain View Post
The stock rings seem to work fine if you hit a rock or a curb, that could damage the rim itself, but I am sure the aftermarket can do it better. I know they can make me a better driver.
Dafaq?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #144
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #145
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
The springs are 14" tall uncompressed.

The front shocks have 2 height settings. Can you measure the distance from your bottom spring mount to the top of the TRD/Bilstein label, so I can tell which one is used from the factory?

edit: I guess you could tell which setting is being used without measuring. If you can see the groove just above the TRD/Bilstein label they must use the higher setting.
Okay thank you! Now if I could just get a confirmation on the spring rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Dafaq?
He was being sarcastic about the "bead lock style" ring on the TRD wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue81 View Post

Cool! Do you have any clue what the spring rate is on those springs?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #146
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I thought they were 650 as well...
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #147
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I thought they were 650 as well...
Cool. I might pick up a set of the 14" x 3" 700 lbs coils and see what happens. I have a lot of extra weight up front. Bumper, winch, and skids add about 240 Lbs to the front of my truck.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #148
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Nice!! I want to see how it looks with that add a leaf

Did you notice the snap rings on your front shocks are in different spots?

Did you happen to mark which shock was left and which one was the right shock?

It would be helpful if someone with a Baja could post a pic of the bottom spring mount of the front shocks.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #149
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Nice!! I want to see how it looks with that add a leaf

Did you notice the snap rings on your front shocks are in different spots?

Did you happen to mark which shock was left and which one was the right shock?

It would be helpful if someone with a Baja could post a pic of the bottom spring mount of the front shocks.
I will take some pictures of mine soon. I will be busy durring the weekend though.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #150

It looks like the shock with the part # ending in AF is the right shock (passenger side), and the part # AB is the left side

Maybe the difference in height is to compensate for the "Taco Lean"
Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #151
Quote:
It looks like the shock with the part # ending in AF is the right shock (passenger side), and the part # AB is the left side

Maybe the difference in height is to compensate for the "Taco Lean"
So I just dropped off the truck and took a look at the shocks and noticed the heights are set differently. I was thinking the same thing, probably to offset the taco lean, told the mechanic about it.

Hopefully everything is straightforward, he was confused as to what the other mounts were for and other than offering the suggestion that they were to move the brake lines elsewhere I was of little help.

If anyone know of online instructions dealers reference for the kit please let me know, might save on some labor time.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #152

Quote:
So I just dropped off the truck and took a look at the shocks and noticed the heights are set differently. I was thinking the same thing, probably to offset the taco lean, told the mechanic about it.

Hopefully everything is straightforward, he was confused as to what the other mounts were for and other than offering the suggestion that they were to move the brake lines elsewhere I was of little help.

If anyone know of online instructions dealers reference for the kit please let me know, might save on some labor time.
I asked the dealer and was told that there haven't been any instruction manuals written as of now, even though there is a sticker on the box that says the instructions are available on Toyota's electronic information system.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #153
Quote:
I asked the dealer and was told that there haven't been any instruction manuals written as of now, even though there is a sticker on the box that says the instructions are available on Toyota's electronic information system.
Cool, thanks. I'm just sitting in a Starbucks, approx 4 more hours to go. lol
Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #154

Quote:
Cool, thanks. I'm just sitting in a Starbucks, approx 4 more hours to go. lol
Cool, sounds like you will be the first one to install it 100%. Did you do any "before" measurements?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #155
Yep. I found it a little difficult to measure from center hub though so I did from floor to wheel well. Will measure when I'm done in the same spot in my driveway at home and post the numbers.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #156
I'm installing the airbags and icon aal's too though so might be different.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #157
Kick A$$ Member

Ran out and looked at my truck. The drivers side is set at the higher setting and the passenger side is at the lower setting.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #158
Getting there!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #159

I just finished the driver's side

It is only 1/4" lower than the passenger side with the toytec ulk

^i like how the shop oriented your remote reservoir so the line is pointed straight back.

Can you ask them what size the nut is on the front bump stops? I am having hell trying to get a wrench in there and figuring out what size it is.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #160
Quote:
I just finished the driver's side

It is only 1/4" lower than the passenger side with the toytec ulk

^i like how the shop oriented your remote reservoir so the line is pointed straight back.

Can you ask them what size the nut is on the front bump stops? I am having hell trying to get a wrench in there and figuring out what size it is.

I'm back at the coffee shop waiting for it to be done but I can ask when he calls me to pick it up.