Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma in Snow

Old 05-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Edgeplay is on a distinguished road

Name: Sean
Edgeplay's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma in Snow

Been a long time lurker and after this summer I am going to be able to finally get one. I'm in the northeast and as I keep reading on here with snow and overprotective ABS. Are these trucks bad in the snow? I will be coming from a older yukon(2000). I know it will be a little different because of the bed with no weight but I keep thinking putting a little weight in would fix that. It won't change my mind with the truck but is there something I am missing.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
dsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DSJ
dsjones5's Tacoma Gallery
heard they are pretty bad. Probably the best thing to do is install some snow tires and perform the ABS switch mod. Just search TW forum.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #4

I will have the 4WD and all season tires (at least till I get some money). I have been looking though forms I was just wondering if anyone had any other input that I might have missed other than the ABS being too safe.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeplay View Post
I will have the 4WD and all season tires (at least till I get some money). I have been looking though forms I was just wondering if anyone had any other input that I might have missed other than the ABS being too safe.
The ABS is sensitive on these trucks , not a death trap
Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
if you buy one with the dunlops get new tires or have the dealer give you what you want before you buy. i have not one issue with my truck in snow here in mass
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies Was just seeing what people thought cause some make it sound like death traps.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeplay View Post
Thanks for the replies Was just seeing what people thought cause some make it sound like death traps.
Good tires will help , stock size or close to stock size tires will help , driving style helps and snow type is a factor ( dry vs wet )

Worst case scenario you can install an ABS disable switch for winter
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Designated winter tires make a big difference and minimize the impact of the ABS sensitivity
Old 05-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
radtastic is on a distinguished road
radtastic's Tacoma Gallery
I did fine, up in Maine. I have a few hundred pounds in the back with my cap/tools. The Dunlops were terrible the second winter, but I put over 8,000 miles in this winter without any issues. Just take it easy, and you'll be all set, no matter what tire you have (except Summer, for obvious reasons). I'd definitely recommend a better set of tires than the Dunlop Grandtrek. I use Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors on my Silverado. While they are not snow tires, they do great, in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs are amazing in the snow, and studdable if you've got a bunch of ice. 4wd is a must. Driving style helps (be aware that you're on snow and don't punch it or slam on the brakes). If you must, do the abs kill switch. I did mine before this last season and played around a little bit with it. Truck is completely drive-able with abs active, you just need to be aware of it. I ended up leaving it off because it seemed more predictable and I trust my driving skills enough that in the event of a slide or skid I can stay in control. All depends on your preference, though good snow tires are a must, and the duratracs are the best I've seen/ heard/ used.

Now hurry up and get yourself a truck
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't have any problems this past winter.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsk8air2 View Post
Duratracs are amazing in the snow, and studdable if you've got a bunch of ice. 4wd is a must. Driving style helps (be aware that you're on snow and don't punch it or slam on the brakes). If you must, do the abs kill switch. I did mine before this last season and played around a little bit with it. Truck is completely drive-able with abs active, you just need to be aware of it. I ended up leaving it off because it seemed more predictable and I trust my driving skills enough that in the event of a slide or skid I can stay in control. All depends on your preference, though good snow tires are a must, and the duratracs are the best I've seen/ heard/ used.

Now hurry up and get yourself a truck
My understanding is that the Duratracs are an AT with a relatively soft rubber compound which helps them perform in wet and snowy conditions. While snowflake rated, they are not a winter tire per se. A Blizzak would be a proper winter tire. It is even softer and thus provides even better traction in slippery conditions.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I've never seen a "bad" truck in snow, I doubt there is such a thing. It simply a matter of having a tire providing traction + driving habits.

As far as the "deathtrap" syndrome, it occur on every model of truck out there when someone assumes 4wd will/has to/ does make their truck better than a car, combined tires that aren't optimal in snow.

For snow, consider any number of "severe weather rated", they vary from commercial, AT and a few in ASR.

some models...
Silent armor/duratracs from gd year
toyo has xtx & wintercat, (m55 too?)
BFG has one, Ta Ko maybe,
Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
They do fine, just use common sense. ABS shouldn't even be necessary for a good driver. With good tires and 4x4, you don't need any weight in the bed. Of all the trucks I've driven, I liked the taco's manners in snow and ice best to be honest. They aren't heavy enough to get stuck easy, yet they aren't light enough to slip and slide on ice like a toboggan.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What does " ABS shouldn't even be necessary " mean ? It's not like you get to choose when it comes on
Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Bush Pusher

^exactly
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think he is just referring to some peoples habits of using ABS as a signal to drive safer.... a safe driver wouldn't want to rely on it , etc
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
I think he is just referring to some peoples habits of using ABS as a signal to drive safer.... a safe driver wouldn't want to rely on it , etc
Wut
Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Wut

my comment was in reference your post 16 about post 15 .