1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 single cab cruise install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacoma0Josh, May 12, 2013.

1. May 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    Tacoma0Josh

Tacoma0Josh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Colony, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab 4x4
    3" spacer lift, with procomp 16"s and 32.5" kelly safaris
    Anyone install cruise on a '13 that wasn't pre-wired for it? Im trying to figure it out but im not making a lot of sense from the rostra manuals. I know there is a thread on installing cruise control but it doesn't have what im needing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

2. May 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    Netrader

Netrader Member

Member:
    North West Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4 2.7
    Hi I am also trying to install it on a 2013 Tacoma regular cab. I found lots of tutorials but none for the 2013. I'm going to play with it. How did you find out that yours was not pre-wired. Where do i check?

3. Sep 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    qdude79

qdude79 Active Member

Member:
    Central Cal
    Vehicle:
    '15 PreRunner DoubleCab V6
    Debadged, Maxtracs, F5's on 285s and Ride Rites
    Old thread, but I thought I'd contribute. I just now did the install of the Rostra wire kit on my '13 5 speed. Bought the overpriced kit from Rostra for it, and I have to say, I'm glad I did. Though expensive, the specific plugs/ends/tips/connectors (whatever you call 'em) are foreign (to me) and were an easy install. The time and cussing involved in trying to make my own, have little electrical experience, would NOT have been worth it IMHO.

Note: I had installed all oem stalk, clutch switch, etc. previously, hoping it was prewired (before reading that most, if not all '13 are NOT prewired). Finding out it wasn't, I sprang for the Rostra kit through Brandon Dist.

Back to the install...

Note: The ONLY panels I removed for the Rostra wiring kit were the lower part under the steering column right behind the steering wheel, and the glove box. The driver's side kick panel would help with the clutch pedal switch, but I had already done that, so no need when just installing the wiring. Also, and you'll be happy about this part, the '13's do NOT need the wire to the back of the gauge cluster! My green "cruise" light came on for the first time about an hour ago and I never touched or got behind the gauge cluster. Thus, the gauge cluster stays untouched.

The kit came with six wires, as it's designed for '05-'13. I only needed three, and this is probably where the Rostra instructions are confusing. http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1836_Form5188F.pdf

You will need ONE of the two brown wires (see below), the blue (they called it violet) wire with the red male connector, and the black ground wire with the loop connector.

For the '13, there were two brown wires in the kit to choose from going from right behind the steering wheel, behind the dash, to the ECM behind the glovebox: 58-B05855 and 58-B05877. USE THE 58-B05877! The other didn't plug in correctly, so I tried the "77" and it slid in like butta. That's wire #1.

Wire #2 is the blue wire with the red male connector on it (only one). The red connector end goes to the junction box (that they refer to specifically but don't tell you WHERE or WHICH junction box they're referring to). It's directly behind the little door to the left of the steering wheel where I keep my garage door opener (like a change drawer). Pull gently to get that out and you'll see it. You'll use the T-connector to splice into a light green wire there (without cutting it) and the red plug will connect to that. The other end of this blue wire (I think they called it "violet", looked blue to me) gets routed behind the dash to the same connector at the ECM that wire #1 went to. See the instructions on which wires go where and to which connector, they were pretty clear on that.

Wire #3 is a breeze. Black ground wire that goes to the same connector behind the steering wheel as where the brown wire started (also shown well in instructions). Back side of this wire is a loop connector that you put behind any 10mm nut behind the firewall to establish your ground.

Voila! Cruise baby...

The good: you only need three wires out of the kit, the T-connector, and a few well placed zip ties.

The bad: you paid over $70 for three specialized wires.

When all is said and done, I have three wires left over. They are a black wire, labeled 59B-05860, a green wire labeled 59B-05879, and the aforementioned brown wire, 59B-05855. Call 'em an expensive clothesline when you're camping.:eek: Enjoy your cruise!

4. Sep 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    Tinfish

Tinfish Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd
    I appreciate the write up!

5. Sep 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    I installed the Rostra kit in my 2013 regular cab today, auto though.

Thankfully the clock spring under the wheel is pre-wired. The truck is not.

Very very easy actually, only used the black wire for ground at steering column, and ran the brown to the ecu, done in under an hour.

Heck the hardest part was running the brown one to the ecu, I ended up removing my head unit to get it closer to the factory wiring path,

Products Discussed in

To Top