1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma Double Cab - Bed Cover Suggestions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by VirtuallyWarped, May 13, 2013.

1. May 13, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    VirtuallyWarped

VirtuallyWarped [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    TRD Off Road Package
    Hi,

New here, great forum, waited 9 years to buy my Tacoma, LOVE IT after trading in a 99 Corolla.:D

I've read a bunch of info on Bed Covers, but haven't found any updated posts for quite a while, and my truck is about a month old.

I want a cover that folds up I think as I don't need the whole bed on a routine basis, but will at times. I'm looking to mostly be able to get grab some stuff and just fold up the cover and then keep some stuff in there all the time like a fold up chair for sitting at my kids games, a couple fishing poles or something, so locking it up isn't critical for me.

I'm in the Boston area so snow/rain/sleet, etc obviously are a concern, and I likely won't have anything back there in the Winter aside from a snow brush.

I've read about the "BAK covers", "Fold A Cover", "Extang", and others. I would like water tight ideally, and easy to fold up, and pop off, but maybe that doesn't exist as you can't have it all?

Thanks!
    Jake

2. May 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Welcome to the forum. First off I'd change your thread title to bed COVER, not liner. I'm in the same boat, looking for some type of folding hardcover and I've read good and bad about all of them. Seems like the extang solid fold is the toughest and most "break in" proof, but the bakflip models give you more of your bed to use when folded. I really don't know what I'll end up getting, probably whatever I find on the buy/sell pages for the right price.

This is what I've found so far:
    extang solid - really tough but only 4 connection points, need 2 hands to open and need to unlatch both sides, only 2/3's of your bed usable until you take it all the way off.

Bakflip models: F1 is toughest but G2 is pretty good still, can leak some, easy to break into with a coat hanger, need to open cover to open tailgate(?)

FoldAcover: opens at front and rear, lockable, tough, but I've read some stories about it not holding up well

There are others but those are the top 3 I keep reading about.

3. May 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    MadMan

MadMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD sport
    De-badged and blacked out
    Bakflip, it does everything you want.

4. May 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    FYI the best price I've heard of so far is from TruckAlterations, the solid fold for $640.

5. May 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Boleador

Boleador Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner, CrewCab, Longbed
    I just installed a Fold-a-Cover G4 after a looong search period.

My rationale for choosing the Fold-a-Cover was the following:

-The soft covers don't last, don't prevent theft, can warp/fade, and (in my opinion only...) don't look good.
    -The Bakflip is a great cover, but it eliminates the use of the stock rail system, which was a killer for me.
    -The single piece hard covers prevent you from easily carrying tall items.

The G4 Fold-a-Cover is *mostly* water proof, is secure, is hard/durable, lets me still carry tall items like a refrigerator, folds up to let me use 75% of the bed, and still lets me use the OEM rail/cleat system. I'm completely happy with this setup, as it seems to be the best of all worlds.

Products Discussed in

To Top