1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting my build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dukfrt13, May 13, 2013.

1. May 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Dukfrt13

Dukfrt13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja turtle
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    13 debadged. Stock for now. More to come
    I have been searching on here for a while now and figured I would share what I'm doing to my taco this weekend. I started off not wanting to do a lot since it is a brand new truck. So I got some front 5100 and set them to 1.75 and it rides really good and sits pretty much level, maybe even 1/4" higher in front(have 4 leaf pack in rear). Well then I keep seeing tacos with 285s and love the look. So today I ordered 285/70r17 toyo a/t 2 with pro comp 7032 17x9 wheels(4.75 backspacing) low range 1" block, carrier bearing drop and front diff drop from toytec, also 5100s for the rear and I'm going to be setting the front to 2.5" over the weekend. My only concerns are do you think I will have to do a cab mount chop? I don't do any serious wheeling, mainly just gonna be for looks. Also I'm trying to avoid having to buy upper control arms just cause I don't wanna spend the money but I am worried that it may not align properly. Let me know what you guys think. I will be posting some pics of it over the weekend

2. May 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    Dukfrt13

Dukfrt13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja turtle
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Well I figured for the $30 that it cost it really can't hurt at all. Only make my cv angles a little bit better

3. May 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    SEMAtaco

SEMAtaco Baja runner

Member:
    SOCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 xcab
    The 17x9 wheels you ordered extend out 3/4" farther than 8" wheels with 4.5 backspacing. They will cause a lot more rubbing and you will have to trim a lot of plastic and may have to do the body mount chop even if you go up to 3" front lift.

4. May 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    Dukfrt13

Dukfrt13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja turtle
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    ^ uh oh. That's not what I wanted to hear. Pro comp only makes the 17s 9" wide so I was hoping it would work but that's not good. Thx for the help

5. May 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Dukfrt13

Dukfrt13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja turtle
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I saw a taco the other day with a similar setup and he had the fuel boost wheels and had no complaints of rubbing. Those are 17x9 also but are offered in a 4.5 back spacing. Is that what I would need to have no rubbing issues?

So I guess my other choice may be the fuel trophy 17x8.5 w/4.5 backspace. Would these work?

6. May 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Dukfrt13

Dukfrt13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja turtle
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Can anyone help me with this?

What is the correct wheel width/backspacing I should be looking for. I really like the fn konig countersteer type x 17x8 4.1 backspacing. Will these fit?

Also the fuel trophy wheels are sick looking but I didn't not realize they are real bead locks so that's out of the question. Thx

I really like the method standard wheels also. Would those work in 17x7.5 5.25 backspacing?

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. May 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    Dukfrt13

Dukfrt13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ninja turtle
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Well since nobody on this whole forum. Not even an admin was able to chime in on my thread and help out a fellow tacoma owner with some simple information(I'm sure you all are going to just say... Use the search button newb, instead of just helping out). I decided to drive down to corona California over the weekend after calling FN wheels and talking to dustin prob one of this nicest and most helpful guys I have ever met. He pretty much wasted his whole day letting me try on a few different sets of wheels for my truck(which not a single one rubbed at all with only about and inch of trimming at the back of the front fender flare) I was able to find an awsome set of 17" grafite six shooter wheels for my truck. And by the way whoever says that 285s won't fit with 5100's set at 2.5 setting without trimming the cab mount. I was able to fit 285/70r17 with a completely stock 4wd tacoma beside front 5100's set at only 1.75 setting and have absolutely no rubbing issues.

Anyways I just wanted to say thx for the help(or lack there of) and that my purchase with FN wheels was an awsome experience, Dustin is a great guy with a great product and I will def be doing business with him again In the future and will be referring all of my friends to him.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  8. May 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top