Notices

KING-OEM Performance Series Shocks vs Icon Vehicle Dynamics- Stage 2

View Poll Results: Which should I get?
KING - OEM Performance Series 117 45.35%
Icon Vehicle Dynamics- Stage 2 141 54.65%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
To Be Continued...........
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
KING-OEM Performance Series Shocks vs Icon Vehicle Dynamics- Stage 2

The title pretty much says it all.
Im stuck between the kings or the stage 2 kit that icon offers for 05+ tacos. the price really isn't all too different. i will not be going long travel. either setup will have total chaos UCA's to clear. I know u will ask what type of offroading i do...well, im more of a 4 wheeler than a prerunner. i like to hit the trails and climb, rather than go really fast through pits. But it would still be nice to have the comfort of being capable of more.
Also, the kings come with a resi in the front as well as the rear, which of course is a nice thing, but will i need it? But the Icon kit comes with the leafs in the back, while King has no rear lift other than the shocks themselves. Do i need it? which is better?
Im looking at $2300 both ways, got some deals and what not,and it seems they are both basically the same price for me in the end.
Please chime in if u have any information. I also want to know how much lift was achieved. Pictures are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
KING-OEM Performance Series Shocks vs Icon Vehicle Dynamics- Stage 2-53002zoom.jpg   KING-OEM Performance Series Shocks vs Icon Vehicle Dynamics- Stage 2-oem_toyota_tundra_kits1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I have kings on all 4 corners for a reason
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
I have kings so i'm biased. If you want some lift in the rear then go icon. if you don't then go with kings. With some slow trail or crawling you won't need the resi's. Thats for fast stuff when the fluid can get really hot. You have to think about the valving as well. Icon is digressive and King is progressive
Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
I have kings so i'm biased. If you want some lift in the rear then go icon. if you don't then go with kings. With some slow trail or crawling you won't need the resi's. Thats for fast stuff when the fluid can get really hot. You have to think about the valving as well. Icon is digressive and King is progressive
i assume digressive is better for the trails, and progressive for speed?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
digressive gets softer the more you push it. progressive is softer at slow stuff.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
BTW you mentioned the rear doesnt have any lift other than the shocks.. so you are aware it will not be lifted at all with just the shocks right? you'll have to get some extra springs or a new leaf pack or god forbid a block----don't you dare do that sir
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
digressive gets softer the more you push it. progressive is softer at slow stuff.
so which would u choose in my situation. a progressive or digressive shock
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnborder View Post
BTW you mentioned the rear doesnt have any lift other than the shocks.. so you are aware it will not be lifted at all with just the shocks right? you'll have to get some extra springs or a new leaf pack or god forbid a block----don't you dare do that sir
Too many block haters here, thankfully. I think anyone with a block must have got it before they came here!

Go icon you'll want the rear lift
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
ive read of people doing the TSB addaleaf. is that a good option for this? i want to my truck to sit fairly level toward nose high. suggestions?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
I said I would go King. Then get a 1.5" AAL. It's like $80.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Voted for Kings, have the same set on my truck since new, 45k++ and never been off, no issues and plush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWxHKsK3fPk
Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not to mention you aren't supposed to run the OEM performance shocks with any kind of rear lift. You will eventually over extend the shock, better to call up DSM and have them made for a 3" leaf pack, that's what I did.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Not to mention you aren't supposed to run the OEM performance shocks with any kind of rear lift. You will eventually over extend the shock, better to call up DSM and have them made for a 3" leaf pack, that's what I did.

hmm, so basically a longer shock/body?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
hmm, so basically a longer shock/body?
Longer / larger rods or I think some make an extension of some kind.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Longer / larger rods or I think some make an extension of some kind.
keep in mind that if you go longer shock of at least the body your shock is now the bump?

Even if your stock, and wheel you're going to fully extend the stock shocks...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
keep in mind that if you go longer shock of at least the body your shock is now the bump?

Even if your stock, and wheel you're going to fully extend the stock shocks...
You are right, but the stock shocks are a dime a dozen (usually free) if you bottom out or over extend just throw another one on, I'd be more concerned about king/icon rears overextending or bottoming out. I'd just run some custom length straps and a good set of bumps.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
You are right, but the stock shocks are a dime a dozen (usually free) if you bottom out or over extend just throw another one on, I'd be more concerned about king/icon rears overextending or bottoming out. I'd just run some custom length straps and a good set of bumps.

I fully extend mine all the time, never had an issue in 40k+ miles, I also think that king installs and internal extended bump to help protect the shock for this very reason.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #18

Bump for some pics of ur lifts with either on. Need More info! Need More votes!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevbekTacoma View Post
Bump for some pics of ur lifts with either on. Need More info! Need More votes!

my links in my sig have videos with said kings, both front and back, there are other vids on my you tube channel as well, current setup.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Front:

Rear: