Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Haws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Shawn
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!

So over the last few years I've been on the mission to build up my 2010 double cab TRD. My goal is 37" iroks on 16x10" wheels. Ive read many many builds, and know of most of the obstacles to try and make this happen.

This is what I recently done. With the help of Double R Custom Metal Fab we completely removed and relocated the front body mounts behind the front fenders, and rebuilt/relocated them further back. This made a whole lot more room for tires. Not as hard to install as one might think. What do you guys think?

He mentioned that if there was enough interest that he would put together a kit for anyone else wanting to do this. The new ones will be a bit thicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!-img_0280.jpg   Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!-img_0277.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Whats it looks like on the inside where he moved it too? A few more pics would help
Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
^ agreed, need more pics

+1 on originality. I have never seen an attempt at this. Even though I'll never go to 37"s, still like to hear/see more on this. The mount point you relocated to able to handle the load as the stock location?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
^ agreed, need more pics
The mount point you relocated to able to handle the load as the stock location?
^ this is what i would be worried about too.
What happens if you get in a wreck and the knew points cause the cab to dismount from frame ?
Wouldnt insurance just drop you for modifying something so structurally important as the body mount.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!!! Did you have some pictures of the install??
Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I'd actually like to see the whole truck, looks like you trimmed quite a bit from your fenders already.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I still think youll need a body lift or lt to clear, im not sure even tubbing would eliminate rub as youll run into clearance issues with your pedals if you go too far. I managed that with just a sledge. Cool though, nice work. I have mine ground to the body mount, like into it, it clears 35s but wouldnt 37s i think. But like i said i think now youll rub the wheel well real hard. Youll have to tub the top too.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Haws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud ofHaws has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I have more pictures of the install, and will post when I get them uploaded. I really need to start a build thread soon. The mount on the frame was rebuilt and moved back. We are still using the original mounting point on the body, just added another point of contact. I really believe its stronger and more stable now than before. We also opened up the body at that point to see how and what might be effected. Ill post those soon too.

Maxamillion2324
I do have a 2" body lift just no puck in the relocation because I moved it up and eliminated it. My fear is your right, but Im crossing my fingers. Rubbing is wheeling right? Going to the tire shop today or tomorrow to see what fits. Ill post pics of that too
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet and original....lets call it the "Haws body mount" mod....
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I like the idea, can't wait for more pics!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Right on, I don't think you'll have any issues with body or mount or none of that. You'll get all the rubbing figured out too I'm sure. It's obvious you have the skills and will!

Look forward to more!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #14

Firefighter:
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
385/75/16.... I think that it measures out to 38x15.50x16 Toyo MT which is not what Ill run! I think Ill play it safe and run a 36" Irok.
Attached Thumbnails
Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!-img_0281.jpg   Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!-img_0282.jpg   Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!-img_0283.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
DO IT.. Awesome idea with the reloaction
Old 05-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #16

Firefighter:
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
So is it the inside the cab you want pictures of?
Heres some more of what I have of the relocation mod. Just what I started with and where and what I did. Of course you don't have to cut. I think I got more than I would have with a Hammer. It will give you an idea of whats behind there.
Attached Thumbnails
Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!-img_0272.jpg   Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!-img_0273.jpg   Not just a body mount chop, but relocated!!-img_0274.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
What are you running for gears?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #18
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
here's a question, how would y our location affect people with sliders welded to teh fram already?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Blygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blygy's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for big tires with minimal lift..
Old 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #20

Firefighter:
Haws's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of sliders on the shop floor now, but waited to put them on after I did this mod. Its about 4" further back on your frame. I would guess if this interfered with your slider mount that you would need to cut and move just that leg back.