1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pop&lock or dynolock?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by the glen, May 15, 2013.

1. May 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    the glen

the glen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    penisula
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road 6SP manual spruce mica Taco
    Icon 2.5 remote res. Coilovers front, icon 2.5 rem res shocks rear, deavers 10 pack leafspring rear. Light racing ouca. Cmc, avid light bar, bamf sliders weld on, grillcraft mx grill, bamf light bracket with lightforce 170's. Uws toolbox, oem bed mat, weathertechs f/r, hella airhorns, trd antenna, talegate mod, Clifford alarm, budbuilt full skid plate set. All pro rear bumper. Superbumps bumpstops. Bulldog lighting reverse led lights in bumper. Trd short throw shifter. Cobra cb, firestick 4' ant. Icon LCA skids. Bamf rear dif skid. Hi lift x-treme mounted with relentless rail mounts in bed. Full size method/bfg in bed. Crown performance ss/Kevlar brake lines. Power tank mounted in bed. Rigid d2s mounted on relentless hood mounts. H3R quick release fire extinguisher mounted to driver's seat. Redline hood struts.
    So like the title says, I'm getting ready to purchase one and I'm trying to get some feedback from those of you that have either. The pros and cons of each if you have an opinion. Thanks for any input.

2. May 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I had the dyno lock when I had my last vehicle. I liked it and it worked well. I will eventually get one for my truck.

3. May 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    the glen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    penisula
    Vehicle:
    Icon 2.5 remote res. Coilovers front, icon 2.5 rem res shocks rear, deavers 10 pack leafspring rear. Light racing ouca. Cmc, avid light bar, bamf sliders weld on, grillcraft mx grill, bamf light bracket with lightforce 170's. Uws toolbox, oem bed mat, weathertechs f/r, hella airhorns, trd antenna, talegate mod, Clifford alarm, budbuilt full skid plate set. All pro rear bumper. Superbumps bumpstops. Bulldog lighting reverse led lights in bumper. Trd short throw shifter. Cobra cb, firestick 4' ant. Icon LCA skids. Bamf rear dif skid. Hi lift x-treme mounted with relentless rail mounts in bed. Full size method/bfg in bed. Crown performance ss/Kevlar brake lines. Power tank mounted in bed. Rigid d2s mounted on relentless hood mounts. H3R quick release fire extinguisher mounted to driver's seat. Redline hood struts.
    From what I understand, they both work pretty much the same, right? I have the backup camera and was told the locking mechanism installs inside the talegate. There's no moving the camera. Just want to hear what everyone likes/dislikes.

4. May 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Yeah they install on the inside. You remove the inner cover and bolt it in. Comes with good instructions. The locking mechanism is a solenoid that pushes a arm in front of the rod that opens the tailgate preventing it from being opened. Pretty simple yet effective design.

5. May 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    Wayner275

Wayner275 Member Me

Member:
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Step bars, Weathertech mats, Sirius sat., Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Pop-n-Lock (ditched the PopnLock and went with the Dyno Lock, RedLine hood struts, Cloud-rider Grill insert,
    I had the pop-n-lock before I got the dyno lock. The pop&locl is a pos if you live in a climate where you experience freezing temps and snow. The pop&lock freezes up often due to winter road conditions. I returned the pop&lock and went with the dynolock. Much better, no key, and trouble free for over two years now.

6. May 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    So the pop & lock is only key functioned? The electronic lock on the dynolock was one of the main features I loved about it.

7. May 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    Future Tacoma

Future Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Purchased a new 2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD
    Stock at this time.
    Thanks. We just bought a new 2013 Tacoma and I am now going to purchase a Dyno Lock we live in Colorado. We are going to purchase a G4 Elite cover so I want the tailgate to lock.

8. May 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    the glen

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    penisula
    Vehicle:
    Cool, thanks for the quick response. I have a Clifford alarm and I want to tie in the dynolock to the trunk button on the remote instead of the driver or passenger door, that way I'm not always locking/unlocking the talegate when I enter/exit.

9. May 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    Wayner275

Wayner275 Member Me

Member:
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Step bars, Weathertech mats, Sirius sat., Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Pop-n-Lock (ditched the PopnLock and went with the Dyno Lock, RedLine hood struts, Cloud-rider Grill insert,
    When I got my Pop & Lock they just made a manual key lock. I just checked the website and see that they now make a power lock that looks just like the Dynolock. Can't comment on the power version of the Pop & Lock though. Maybe someone else can help..

10. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    bruth

bruth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Alamo ca
    Vehicle:
    2000 access cab 4x4 Tacoma
    Total chaos is currently shipping
    I had the dyno on my other 07 and it worked great man!!

Products Discussed in

To Top