Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Dealership Negligence

Old 05-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #41
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWHANA View Post
Really man? One should be injured or killed for not servicing their own vehicle? Not everyone is not as skilled as mechanic as you. Have a nice day man.
^^^ exactly.

if the world was run by people servicing their own vehicles
we'd be without electricity or combustion engines

people have other shit to do, so that involves paying someone else
to perform other tasks. pretty much how the world operates, don't
know what planet jandrews is from...
Old 05-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #42
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Right. I don't have the time or expertise to work on a 2012 Tacoma. So thats why I bring it to the "experts" I would hope. Especially when its the free 2 year Toyota Care maintenance. As far as people saying "shit happens" this is a big pile of deadly shit at that. Not to minimize the situation. I do work in the medical field as well and we do have double checks for some procedures and highly dynamic medications. If I have a deadly/super dangerous error at work...I'm fired, my patient is hurt even more if not dead and their family is also affected.
I agree with you. though you are showing that though we try our best to never make a mistake, it DOES happen. In your line of work a simple mistake can have deadly results. Same with auto repair. A simple mistake can result in potentially deadly results.

I am one of those who admits that they make mistakes. One time about 13 years ago I failed to properly secure a cotter pin in a Cadillac. The nut loosened over time and eventually the lower ball joint separated from the control arm. Fortunately when this happened the owner was in a parking lot. It could have been worse. He was a reasonable man who accepted that mistakes happen, and since he was not hurt, he didn't sue. We repaired his vehicle of all damage, and the service manager gave him some extras. Me, I was given a week off without pay, and spent 6 months on employee probation. I have never failed to secure a cotter key since. While I knew that the result was nobody had gotten hurt, I knew the customer, and his grand children ride in that car all the time. It could have been much worse. I lost sleep over that incident.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #43
POWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nice

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
OP, if you really feel that adamant about this situation, and a bad one at that, then do what everyone else does, sue...

You can't do it small claims either, stress, pain and suffering are not part of a calculated settlement in small claims.....

They are fixing it, short of them kissing yer ass over and over again and maybe slinging some freebies your way, that is about it...
Who said anything about suing? I'm just addressing the comment. I am dealing with a super cool service manager. Everything is being taken care of. Just addressing the comment dude. Calm down brother...
Old 05-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #44
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
This is why I do my own work. Sucks but people make mistakes

It will probably be a new rim, drum, and assembly inside depending on any damage to the brake components. Bearing and seal will be fine
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #45
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Right. I don't have the time or expertise to work on a 2012 Tacoma. So thats why I bring it to the "experts" I would hope. Especially when its the free 2 year Toyota Care maintenance. As far as people saying "shit happens" this is a big pile of deadly shit at that. Not to minimize the situation. I do work in the medical field as well and we do have double checks for some procedures and highly dynamic medications. If I have a deadly/super dangerous error at work...I'm fired, my patient is hurt even more if not dead and their family is also affected.

Exactly. If one owns a business they should do whatever it takes to make sure a mistake like the OP's never goes out the door. Yes, it might cost the business a few more minutes time and pay to do it, but compare that to one single tradgedy due to their neglect.

Some lawyers and plaintiffs are going to be the new owners of that business.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #46
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Exactly. If one owns a business they should do whatever it takes to make sure a mistake like the OP's never goes out the door. Yes, it might cost the business a few more minutes time and pay to do it, but compare that to one single tradgedy due to their neglect.

Some lawyers and plaintiffs are going to be the new owners of that business.
This is not the first, nor will it be the last that someone makes a mistake. We are all human. There is, and never will be a way to prevent ANY mistakes. We who own shops can only do our due diligence to make sure the work is done right. Even then however, it can't be 100% prevented. We have doctors who make deadly mistakes all the time, and even THEY have checks and procedures to follow. Again, it is called being human.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #47
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Short bus funny how a few people are all like "it coulda been worse, it'll be OK, at least they're owning up to it"...............when it's someone else's truck, right? And it really makes the bullshit of it any better. Fuck that noise! Stupid stupid shit. OP should get repaired, reimbursed, extended drivetrain warranty at dealer's expense & his ass kissed profusely by the service manager & owner the whole time he has to deal with this lameness. Anything less will just leave the door open for it to happen to someone else next week..........
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #48
ASE Master Tech

Wow. Calm down! FYI, I have had this happen before to a girlfriend. The dealership was quite fast to own up to it and took care of things for her. All on the up-and-up. You going to tell us that you have NEVER EVER in your life made a mistake in something you did? Pot, meet Kettle.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #49
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
This is why I do my own work. Sucks but people make mistakes

It will probably be a new rim, drum, and assembly inside depending on any damage to the brake components. Bearing and seal will be fine
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #50
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Wow. Calm down! FYI, I have had this happen before to a girlfriend. The dealership was quite fast to own up to it and took care of things for her. All on the up-and-up. You going to tell us that you have NEVER EVER in your life made a mistake in something you did? Pot, meet Kettle.
Not that other people's lives/property and other innocent colatteral damage victims' lives/property depended on. I used no capitals in my post. That = calm. Yes, I'm telling you right now that I have serviced parent's cars, sibling's cars, friend's cars and my own since before having a license to drive and with no ASE cert and have never ever left lugs off or loose when rotating tires or doing any kind of work involving removing a wheel. Never. It is inexcusable for people who do this day in and day out for a living that people put their trust in to put things back correctly to do.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #52
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Not that other people's lives/property and other innocent colatteral damage victims' lives/property depended on. I used no capitals in my post. That = calm. Yes, I'm telling you right now that I have serviced parent's cars, sibling's cars, friend's cars and my own since before having a license to drive and with no ASE cert and have never ever left lugs off or loose when rotating tires or doing any kind of work involving removing a wheel. Never. It is inexcusable for people who do this day in and day out for a living that people put their trust in to put things back correctly to do.
Congrats for doing your own services and those of your family. I try do mean that, without any reservations.

However you do not do that work for 50 hours a week, 50 weeks or so a year. People are human, and they will make a mistake. You say you have never made any mistakes that people's lives/property/etc. depended on, but that was not the question I asked, was it? I simply asked for an answer on if you have never made a mistake in your job. If every tech that has ever made a mistake lost their job, we wouldn't have enough people working on cars and trucks. It is a dangerous job in itself, and people do make mistakes. I made one mistake around 13 years ago. Do you think I should have been fired and never work as a tech again? I mean come on, get serious here. I have been working on cars and trucks since many of the members on this forum were still in nappys! I make mistakes, and everyone else does. We are not perfect, and to hold us to that expectation is insane at best. I think the dealership did a great job in taking care of the OP, and his situation. Heck, even the OP said he was happy with the way they are taking care of him and his truck. If something like this ever happens to any of your vehicles, and I truly do hope that it does not, I would hope that you use some tact and respect in knowing that mistakes do happen, and not demand that the tech get drawn and quartered.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #53
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Nothing I do at my job involves anyone's life or property being at risk and said nothing about firing anyone. I said the OP should be sucked up to by the dealership and given a small form of insurance for the future of his truck in the form of some extra drivetrain warranty. Hardly claiming any perfection either and damn sure wouldn't be trusting any overworked dealership to do anything on my truck based on the frequency of these simple fuckup stories here and everywhere and based on personal experience with repeated issues with haphazard dealership warranty work on my previous truck. yeah shit happens is a once in awhile thing not the norm like all the time nowadays.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #54
jrogers329 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jrogers329's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
(snip)

I will say one thing that is partially in line with the thread, but also a bit tangent to it: I don't think anyone here would allow an unlicensed electrician to rewire their home, or an unlicensed plumber to fix a leak at their home either. In this day and age, one must be licensed in each state in order to do these jobs as a career. So why is it that when it comes to our cars and trucks, which we daily drive, and put our children into, that so many people do not trust their vehicle to a licensed professional? Can anyone answer that? Right now technicians do have a type of licensing (It is called ASE certification and is nearly identical to the same thing an electrician or plumber have to do) but this licensing is 100% voluntary, and there are NO federal or state regulations for this.

We take our cars and trucks into shops, and really have NO IDEA the quality of training and education that the people who work on them have. You take your vehicle into these places and have them work on your BRAKES! And yet I truly wonder how many people here actually have ASKED their shop to show them the credentials of the person who is working on their car. You refuse to let an unlicensed contractor work on your home. Why allow an unlicensed tech work on your cars and trucks, or your mom's, sister's, or your own child's vehicle?

We really should make this licensing a requirement. End of rant, we now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress....
Got a question for you...sort of a feeler. I have a CDL and drive an 18 wheeler. As you may or may not know, the driver can get massive points on their license due to bad tires, lights, brakes, etc. This can lead to a suspension of their license. I have discussed with other drivers, that the technicians who work on Commercial Motor Vehciles (CMV) should have a license, and should be required to sign off on repairs made or declined based on the mechanics call. Then if the driver gets stopped, and ticketed, the ticket should go to the mechanic, resulting in points on HIS license, which could result in suspension of HIS license. I know this sounds harsh, but you would not believe how tough the DOT can be on commercial drivers. Just wondered what you thought.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack. OP...glad no one was hurt and that the dealership is making it right. I would get in writing what happened and what repairs were made. Also would have the dealer sign something stating that they will be responsible for any other problems that could show up later on as a result of this error.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #55
ASE Master Tech

ASE also has licensing for those who are techs for the big trucks as well. I support licensing for anyone who wants to turn a wrench professionally. As to your theory, it would be really hard to be consistent and accurate. Let's say the truck gets the ok from the tech, and the driver leaves the shop. A day or so later said truck gets pulled over for a burned out tail lamp. How would anyone know if that lamp had burned out on the road, or if the tech missed it? You couldn't rightfully blame the tech on that. If a driver goes off with a bad tire, then I think that is his choice. I would think any driver should know enough about tires to be sure his are within acceptable safety levels (again, like you I am just guessing here) Now perhaps in some cases a fine might be levied, but I don't see a way to do a point's system off the techs license. They made a mistake on a job perhaps, but points from their license? Meh, I would think a fine would be more in line. Again, my opinion. Never did get my other question answered. Funny...
Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
jrogers329 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jrogers329's Tacoma Gallery
As to your other question...I agree. It makes no sense to take your vehicle to someone who isn't certified/qualified to work on it.