Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Dealership Negligence

Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
POWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nice

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Dealership Negligence

So there I was...I had just gotten my machine back from the 15,000 mile service. I usually have Les Schwab rotate my tires but I had the dealership do it this time. I drove 60 mph on highway, then was driving about 20 mph when I heard a metallic grinding after a small bump in road...felt like the rear driveshaft was disintegrating. I immediately stopped and found my rear left wheel had come off and the rear drum was just barely sitting on the edge of the wheel. Chewed the service manager out...they are fixing it. It had appeared that the bolts had been sheared off but after squeezing the drum/wheel together the lugs seemed to push further through the drum. So mechanic dude either left em off or didn't put em back on all the way.

So I'm glad I didn't die on the highway. What are the thoughts of how much damage had been done? the lugs, wheel, and drum were pretty messed up, they are replacing. Any suggestions/thoughts of other extensive damage that could have been done to my drive train?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Dealership Negligence-img_1408.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
IDK, the only other things that I would think of possibly replacing are the bearings and seals in the rear end, but I'm not sure those would even have been under any extra load when wheel came loose.
Complete rear end? New truck?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
I always check everytime I got my vehicle back from the service at the stealership. I don't trust them. I heard of horror stories about their negligences...sorry that's happen to you ? I assume they refixed without charge,right ?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
POWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nicePOWHANA is just really nice

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah man I hear you...I will. Every time now. Yes they have given me a loaner Taco and are fixing the problem and are super apologetic. The tow truck driver dented the bottom of the body when two of em were trying to figure out how to tow my machine back to the dealership. So that has to be fixed as well. Bummer. I'm just wondering if there is any possible damage to the drivetrain
Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
at least they owned up to it and are making it right
it does not excuse them from what they have done
be thankful it could have been much much worse
Old 05-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #6

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
I am super thankful no one was hurt, could have been real bad.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWHANA View Post
I am super thankful no one was hurt, could have been real bad.
Yeah, that would not be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
at least they owned up to it and are making it right
it does not excuse them from what they have done
True that.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Holy Crap! That's scary. I know I should always check everything, but truthfully I usually don't. That is inexcusable.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
I would in a polite manner reiterate to the service manager how dangerous this situation could have ended due to a technicians lack of concentration/poor workmanship. I would use that to have them compensate me for my time, inconvenience, and scaring the baby Jesus out of me. Maybe have them comp you the 30k service since that will be the 1st service you pay out of pocket and also an expensive one
Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
haider320 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Detective
haider320's Tacoma Gallery
I can guarantee that tech no longer has a job..

I hate to hear things like this. I always do my maitenance, but I got that 2 year Toyota Care thing that comes with new vehicles. Free everything for two years.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by haider320 View Post
I can guarantee that tech no longer has a job..

I hate to hear things like this. I always do my maitenance, but I got that 2 year Toyota Care thing that comes with new vehicles. Free everything for two years.
Not everything is free, only what you see in your scheduled maintenance book
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjimenRR View Post
I would in a polite manner reiterate to the service manager how dangerous this situation could have ended due to a technicians lack of concentration/poor workmanship. I would use that to have them compensate me for my time, inconvenience, and scaring the baby Jesus out of me. Maybe have them comp you the 30k service since that will be the 1st service you pay out of pocket and also an expensive one
I will. Good Idea about the 30,000. yeah, I think my wife is even more pissed than I. Were going down there this morning.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #13

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not everything is free, only what you see in your scheduled maintenance book
Right. They got me for an air filter, fuel filter already. And I pay extra for the synthetic, hopefully I'm gettin synthetic
Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
thunderbases is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Electro/Environmental
thunderbases's Tacoma Gallery
That is totally jacked up. Make sure they fix anything else that may have been damaged. Once you drive it off, they will say that they are not responsible for any further damage.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
Be Good or Be Good At It

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWHANA View Post
Right. They got me for an air filter, fuel filter already. And I pay extra for the synthetic, hopefully I'm gettin synthetic
A fuel filter?!?!?!?! The filter is not serviceable, there's no reason they should have even changed it at 15k! Also I'd love to see the part number for this so called fuel filter since its really only a strainer and can only be purchased with the fuel pump
Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Another reason I do the work myself.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
H I know I should always check everything, but truthfully I usually don't. That is inexcusable.
I knew situations that happen in this shop, not at a stealership but a reputable carcare place. One of the oilchange guy did not put oil back after he flushed,didn't bother to plug it back, when the customer (older women) got her car back, she drove home. Her engine fried, when they investigated, no oil and plug were put back, She put them on local tv demand the place to pay for her car.

Other situation same place, different customer, different service guy. Customer got his tire rotated, service dude put the tire back,but do not put all the wheel nuts back. Customer drove halfway, his rear tire fail off. Service dude got fired. Yeah...it's our vehicle,and our safty...you know they probably having a bad day at work...just sayin'
Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
that tire could have flown off and killed a mom driving a minivan full of rugrats

holy crap that is a gross error. the employee that worked on
that wheel should be fired immediately
Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
TIM.TRDSparks is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired Firemen
TIM.TRDSparks's Tacoma Gallery
WOW!! I always double check any work no matter a dealership or someone else. Just a comforting way of mind. Glad no one is hurt!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #20

POWHANA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A fuel filter?!?!?!?! The filter is not serviceable, there's no reason they should have even changed it at 15k! Also I'd love to see the part number for this so called fuel filter since its really only a strainer and can only be purchased with the fuel pump
Copy that. Thanks. I'll let em know this morning.