Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

check engine light after seafoam

Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
GASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to behold

Name: Josh
GASH's Tacoma Gallery
check engine light after seafoam

So I seafoamed my truck this morning following the guidance of many on the forum and now my check engine light is on! Has this happened to any of you? Any ideas on what it could be?

I have an 07 with about 25880 miles.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Hit up an Autozone and have them run the code for free. Looks like there's about 19 of them in your town.

I personally would never use Seafoam. Some folks swear by it but I just have a problem with spraying foam into my intake.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
mclapperton is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mclapperton's Tacoma Gallery
Probably a missfire code when inducing seafoam into intake.Clear it and see if it comes back.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
TheKneeBiter is on a distinguished road
TheKneeBiter's Tacoma Gallery
07 25k. Why the hell would you look for trouble? Just drive the truck. You play you pay. I love the forums but sometimes it starts trouble. You read , you think, you are in trouble. If it is not broke , dont fix it.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
GASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to beholdGASH is a splendid one to behold

GASH's Tacoma Gallery
The light came on after a couple if blocks and I did add it to a full tank. I gas up at Sam's Club and I think its about 10% ethanol. I have an alignment scheduled at my toyota dealership later so I guess they van check it out. I ws just wondering if its anything major and it doesn't sound like it.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKneeBiter View Post
07 25k. Why the hell would you look for trouble? Just drive the truck. You play you pay. I love the forums but sometimes it starts trouble. You read , you think, you are in trouble. If it is not broke , dont fix it.

Easy guy. No need to rip into the guy. If he wants to use Seafoam that's his choice. To answer the original poster, I would just clear it and see if it comes back. I agree with an earlier poster that something probably came loose and caused the engine to throw a code.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
I am not ripping the guy at all. I am just letting him know that forums are great. But dont drink the coolaid just because everyone else is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Easy guy. No need to rip into the guy. If he wants to use Seafoam that's his choice. To answer the original poster, I would just clear it and see if it comes back. I agree with an earlier poster that something probably came loose and caused the engine to throw a code.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASH View Post
The light came on after a couple if blocks and I did add it to a full tank. I gas up at Sam's Club and I think its about 10% ethanol. I have an alignment scheduled at my toyota dealership later so I guess they van check it out. I ws just wondering if its anything major and it doesn't sound like it.
Make sure they are doing it under warranty, though. You don't want to pay them to do it when you can get the code run for free elsewhere.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Kylie's dad

Quote:
I am not ripping the guy at all. I am just letting him know that forums are great. But dont drink the coolaid just because everyone else is.
So he's "drinking the Kool Aid" because he has a CEL and is asking us about it? Ever think that MAYBE something could be wrong? They don't typically go off for no reason.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
Not talking about the code. I am wondering why anyone would add seafoam at 25k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
So he's "drinking the Kool Aid" because he has a CEL and is asking us about it? Ever think that MAYBE something could be wrong? They don't typically go off for no reason.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Kylie's dad

^AAAHH, my mistake. I see what you're saying. I would 'tend to agree with that but I don't want to attack the OP. I'm sure he has his reasons.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #12

GASH's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks. I'll make sure I don't want to pay for anything that I could get for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Make sure they are doing it under warranty, though. You don't want to pay them to do it when you can get the code run for free elsewhere.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Do yourself a favor. Buy this. http://www.levineautoparts.com/codescout1.html

I have it and it works great. A cheap tool that can save you money over time.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #14

GASH's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to try it because my last two tanks of gas I got 14-15 MPG when I usually get 17-18. And everything else seems ti be alright with the truck
Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #15
Kylie's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
Side note to original poster:
I have a 2000 Yamaha V-star and it ran like crap after the change to ethanol in fuel. Pulled carbs, looked awful, cleaned them, it ran a little better. Put in half a bottle of seafoam, seemed to run terrible for about 50 miles even sputtered at time, after that, it was like a whole different bike. It ran like a dream.....improved throttle response, less vibration, easier to sync carbs, etc. I pulled carbs, they were spotless. The guy I was working with (local bike shop tech) said them were cleanest he'd ever seen without a rebuild. From talking to various motorcycle ppl, they said that the ethanol in gas caused build-ups in fuel filter, gas lines, and tend to gum up carbs.
So take that for what its worth. I've used seafoam in everything I own with a motor and will always do so because it has so far made everything run better.
That's true about the ethanol. A lot of boat owners are having major problems with their engines because of ethanol. Vehicles like boats and motorcycles aren't typically daily drivers so they sit and that's when the problems show up.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
Check your air filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASH View Post
I wanted to try it because my last two tanks of gas I got 14-15 MPG when I usually get 17-18. And everything else seems ti be alright with the truck
Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #17

GASH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check your air filter
Already checked it its fine. Got the truck back and it was just a misfire.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
ballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant future
ballon78's Tacoma Gallery
From all that i have read and researched, the ethanol acts like i solvent and cleans pretty good. But it only keeps for 30 days or so before starts to varnish. It also make vehical get 10-15 worse MPG!!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #19
obxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to behold

obxfishn's Tacoma Gallery
Daaaaamn....LETS GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!!