Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Michelin LTX ms2... will I regret it?

View Poll Results: Will I regret buying these LTX MS2 highway tires?
Yes - stick with an A/T tire because the LTX MS2 will get you stuck. 20 37.74%
No - these tires can get you across sharp rocks and out of the mud in a pinch. 33 62.26%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX ms2... will I regret it?

Looking to drop the new dungflops that came on my 2013 dc sport for a good set of boots. I have BFG's on my last truck and they were an overall good tire, but I am doing 90% city and hwy driving with the odd trip into the back country for camping / shooting / hiking etc.

I am looking at the LT265/70/17 10 ply Michelin LTX MS2 because of the phenomenal reviews and obvious quality, but are they capable enough to get a weekend warrior through some mud and crushed shale the odd time, or will I find myself regretting buying a highway tire that sucks off road, but can't be worn down and replaced??

feedback from anyone who has experience with these tires for the odd offroad jaunt, please chime in....

Update - After trying the Scorpions I switched them out for the MS2's and love them. Safety on the highways is more important to me than a mean looking tire that can throw mud (wife drives the truck every day, while I usually drive my work truck.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I had them for about 10K. They where great on the pavement, quiet, smooth ride, overall an excellent tire.

Off road, they where only marginally better than the bfg rugged fails. I would not recomend them to anyone who goes anywhere near mud.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin LTX ms2... will I regret it?-b0b33be1-8900-4fbd-bdc9-a025586e20cf.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
dont sound like a good tire for a tacoma, ride like lumber wagon.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
I went off-roading w/ my boss who has them on his land rover..and they work great on rocks, rocky roads very well.. the tread life last for a long time..
Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I had them for about 10K. They where great on the pavement, quiet, smooth ride, overall an excellent tire.

Off road, they where only marginally better than the bfg rugged fails. I would not recomend them to anyone who goes anywhere near mud.
Thanks - most online reviews seem to be people who only use the tires for towing travel trailers or taking the kids to soccer practice.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
I went off-roading w/ my boss who has them on his land rover..and they work great on rocks, rocky roads very well.. the tread life last for a long time..
Thanks - a big reason for going to a 10 ply is to avoid flats. I wonder is the sidewalls hold up much better than a standard p rated tire.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
he drove and rubbed over rocks and really took a beating .. but again that's on a land rover.. I want Bfgs just for the classic look and honestly he has had his for like 2-3 yrs and look brand new..
Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
stroked383z has a spectacular aura aboutstroked383z has a spectacular aura about
stroked383z's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Nitro Terra Grappler or Toyo AT2 Extreme. I have the Nittos on my Tundra and they are fantastic. I ran those Michelins on my old Toyota. They were ok until the started to wear.... Then they were useless for anything

Edit... I ran the Michelin ATs. Didn't like them. Not ran the M/S version
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
If you want the life of a Michelin, but better offroad capabilities, look at the LTX A/T2.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
The guy at Costco told me Michelin will be discontinuing the AT2 very soon due to all the problems they are having with them. They are developing a replacement tread pattern before discontinuing them though.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABregenzer View Post
If you want the life of a Michelin, but better offroad capabilities, look at the LTX A/T2.
X2
Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy has a load e highway tire on his Tacoma . Toyo HT. The ride is way too harsh for my taste
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
cdk has a spectacular aura aboutcdk has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
cdk's Tacoma Gallery
i had the michelin ltx m/s on my previous truck and at 45k miles, they still had probably another 30k+ left.

i'm gettin a set of these exact ones you posted in the OP from my brother's truck. only a couple thousand miles. he wants bigger ones and i want michelins.
should last a long time on a tacoma. may ride a lil stiffer.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I used them successfully off-road, but not much in wet-slippery-sticky conditions.

Tough and long lasting tire.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABregenzer View Post
This is best advice.
Michelin AT2's give you best of both worlds, long life and superior on and off road traction.

The ms2's are the best highway tire, in a truck as light as ours, you could legitamitly get 100,000 miles out of them. Horrible in any muddy condition, decent on rocks and dirt roads, excellent on highway. There's many reports of these tires lasting over 100k miles on one ton trucks.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of the LTX M/S before I went to 31's. They were good street tires and hold up a very very long time. I never did serious off roading so I don't know about that part.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
the LTX Ms2 is a great tire ... very quiet on the road and great traction also they only weight about 28lbs per tires compared to some of the others at 50ish. Since you are 90% street/Highway these would be a great choice for longetivity

I had them on my tacoma before I started riding trails.... they suck in dirt/mud/snow
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
white08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nice
Air Force: recip engine mechanic
Name: Al
white08gt's Tacoma Gallery
why put a 10ply tire on a midsize truck. truck will ride like crap and mileage will drop considerably. lots of options out there that cost a whole lot less and will work great. stick with no more than LT load range C or P metric with XL rating. I have been buying tires for 4wd trucks since my first in 1972, did not have radial mud tires back then. I have always owned fullsize 4wd trucks till I bought the Tacoma. usually I run 2 sets, one mud set and one stock or AT. last AT tires I bought were Cooper, tread looked alike BFG KO AT's but cheaper.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by white08gt View Post
why put a 10ply tire on a midsize truck. truck will ride like crap and mileage will drop considerably. lots of options out there that cost a whole lot less and will work great. stick with no more than LT load range C or P metric with XL rating. I have been buying tires for 4wd trucks since my first in 1972, did not have radial mud tires back then. I have always owned fullsize 4wd trucks till I bought the Tacoma. usually I run 2 sets, one mud set and one stock or AT. last AT tires I bought were Cooper, tread looked alike BFG KO AT's but cheaper.
I want a 10 ply for the strength and flat / slash resistance. We get lots of sharp rocks from slides on the roadways here and we take lots of long road trips in very remote areas. (like 4 hours driving on a hwy between seeing other vehicles). I want tough tires, but they will be mostly on the pavement.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverstuck View Post
The guy at Costco told me Michelin will be discontinuing the AT2 very soon due to all the problems they are having with them. They are developing a replacement tread pattern before discontinuing them though.
What kind of problems? I just bought mine, and I think they great. Only been about 500 miles though. A slight hum at 45mph, barely noticeable on the highway. There not mud tires, but fine for dirt and sand. Wet traction is great.