Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My $350 mistake!!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
TheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud of

Navy: Equipment Operator 1st class
Name: Aaron
TheSchwartz's Tacoma Gallery
My $350 mistake!!

Well it happened and I have no one to be mad at but me. My friend (an experienced mech for five years) and I (experienced operator for five years installed) my TOYTEC 2.5" lift last weekend. Since then I was hearing a chattering noise in the front end. Since im a procrastinator I decided to check it out when I did my oil change. Two days prior to my oil change I heard a pop while taking a turn and thought nothing it. While changing my oil I figured it out. My sway bar bracket was left loose and had fallen on to my CV boot tearing it. All in all dealer quote $350, would do it my self but nobody has the parts (to new).
Old 02-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Prayers for Bill and Michelle
trcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant future

trcksr4grls's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to trcksr4grls
ouchhhhhhhhhhh that is a costly lesson, but could of been worse....
Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
One of the many reasons I tend to stay away from lifts for these trucks. To many problems seem to develop after installing one. Not my cup of tea so to speak. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
TheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
One of the many reasons I tend to stay away from lifts for these trucks. To many problems seem to develop after installing one. Not my cup of tea so to speak. Good luck.
The lift both looks great and rides great. This was my mistake of not recheckng my work.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
His issue has nothing at all to do with a "problem" that "developed", he simply made a mistake (which we all do on occasion). If you aren't confident in your own wrenching skills, I understand, but there's nothing wrong with lifts when done properly.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
sounds like your buddy needs to cough up $350..lol
Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
HOT!!
hillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
hillbillytaco's Tacoma Gallery

still like to see the truck because i wanna put mine in the air so bad
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillytaco View Post

still like to see the truck because i wanna put mine in the air so bad
Ill get some pic up when I get the truck back. Ill also try to get it next to a TRD so you can see a comparison.

Aaron
Old 02-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Is there a difference in the boots between an 05 and an 09? I don't think there is...
We looked for 2nd gen parts in general and nobody had them. All they had were lugs.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
hey, we all make mistakes. i made some on my Transam a few times.

I dropped a lifter while changing the cam one time. Had to pull the heads off and replace all the gaskets and bolts then- that was like 200 bucks worth of parts.

The first time I was changing my torque converter I managed to break my trans pump. I don't recall the price to fix it, but I think it was about a grand or so.

Since then I've changed converts and trans more times than I can count, same with heads and cams as well.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear of your pain.
I had a track bar loosen and wallow out at the frame connection on a Jeep lift.
If I had re-torqued after a few miles (like you're supposed to ), I might have caught it in time.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwartz View Post
We looked for 2nd gen parts in general and nobody had them. All they had were lugs.
That doesn't sound right, I think you need to do more searching; these things have been around for many years. I can't imagine that the only folks able to perform work on them would be the dealers. I'm sure someone will come along with info shortly...