Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Tacoma reliability - better info

Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
mkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to behold
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Tacoma reliability - better info

Someone helpfully posted a thread for TrueDelta's reliability survey, but in the title specifically mentioned only the 2007. Which might explain why 2007 is the only model year for which we've had a decent sample size.

The survey actually covers all model years, and we'd love to have precise stats for all of them--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Tacoma, for free. I'll share results for the Tacoma in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

http://www.truedelta.com/join
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
mkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to behold
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
We have updated our reliability stats for the Tacoma based on owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2012: 10

2011: 26

2009: no repairs reported, 13 trucks

2008: no repairs reported, 10 trucks

2007: 14

2006: 25

2005: 21

Small and even all sample sizes in all cases except the 2011. All are low (highly reliable).

We'll have further updates later this month and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Toyota Tacoma reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
I left out the stats for the 2011 and 2012 yesterday. Added them above.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
I'm afraid there was no stat to leave out for the 2010. Not enough participants yet for that year.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
We have updated our reliability stats for the Tacoma based on owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2012: 10

2011: 26

2009: no repairs reported, 13 trucks

2008: no repairs reported, 10 trucks

2007: 14

2006: 25

2005: 21

Small and even all sample sizes in all cases except the 2011. All are low (highly reliable).

We'll have further updates later this month and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Toyota Tacoma reliability ratings and comparisons
God danm it.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
dont bother signing up you get nothing he makes money. theres better information here on tw
Old 05-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 has 50,000 miles now (since Dec. 2009).

It is my third Tacoma (all 4WD Off Road TRD).

The 2001 was near perfect (changed a water pump at 90,000 miles, that's it).

The 2005 had a couple issues:
Brake noise, ABS braking fail that was told to me to be 'normal', Spiral (or clockspring) cable in steering wheel fail (made air bag light come on) I was charged to fix, rear springs way too soft causing bottoming with any load including rear seat passengers, I had to pay to solve with air bags and better shocks!

The 2010 has been perfect to me. It goes everywhere I want. It will not get stuck or break down... doesn't bottom out, brakes are fantastic, too... Oh, what a feeling!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
dont bother signing up you get nothing he makes money. theres better information here on tw
This forum does have a lot of good information, but it's not statistical information. Saying one makes the other unnecessary is kind of like saying there's no need for oranges because apples are tasty

We receive no money from participating members. We do get money from people who click on ads, generally after a search engine brings them to the site. I don't believe we earn a significant amount of ad revenue from members. I am glad that the ads enable us to provide the results of our work for free to everyone who helps out.

When did it become wrong to earn money from something you put a huge amount of time and effort into? I'm afraid my wife and I, with three kids to support, can't afford to work 100+ hours a week for free, though you're certainly not the only person who seems to expect this.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
This forum does have a lot of good information, but it's not statistical information. Saying one makes the other unnecessary is kind of like saying there's no need for oranges because apples are tasty

We receive no money from participating members. We do get money from people who click on ads, generally after a search engine brings them to the site. I don't believe we earn a significant amount of ad revenue from members. I am glad that the ads enable us to provide the results of our work for free to everyone who helps out.

When did it become wrong to earn money from something you put a huge amount of time and effort into? I'm afraid my wife and I, with three kids to support, can't afford to work 100+ hours a week for free, though you're certainly not the only person who seems to expect this.
Unless Michael has changed from what I remember of TTAC, he's a good guy, and I'm glad to see him spreading awareness of TrueDelta here. Fixer, I don't know what you expected of TD. It's a voluntary survey site, with open results for anyone to see. Seems like a good idea to me.