Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Making an offer, what do you think?

Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
thatdood is on a distinguished road

thatdood's Tacoma Gallery
Making an offer, what do you think?

I am very close to purchasing a tacoma. I'm thinking of some different options on what I can afford. I am looking at a black 09 double cab SR5 with aluminum wheels. The TMV on it shows $23,100. I've got some extra cash from selling my car and my tax return and thought I would offer them $21,000 cash + ttl.

Anyone think they will take this?

Or should I finance?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
If its cash then then you might have a really good chance.... especially in this economy
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Their are quite a few things that need to be looked at. The economy for one. Having 21,000 cash right now might be good to put away. I don't know you and your situation right now..job,finances,bills,credit score,etc....Do you need a vehicle right now? Is financing for you a better long term thing? Its a tough call. It comes down to you and how you feel. You are going to get all kinds of answers here. Do what you feel would benefit you. Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Well said
Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
I believe they are still offering 0% APR/36 month financing. I tool this option on my truck because I am earning interest on that money in the meantime. Money markets and CDs are low right now...but even 2.5% interest is better than nothing. It is at least something to consider. YMMV.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Their are quite a few things that need to be looked at. The economy for one. Having 21,000 cash right now might be good to put away. I don't know you and your situation right now..job,finances,bills,credit score,etc....Do you need a vehicle right now? Is financing for you a better long term thing? Its a tough call. It comes down to you and how you feel. You are going to get all kinds of answers here. Do what you feel would benefit you. Good Luck.
Thanks for the advice. I just sold my car so yes I need a vehicle. I got married over a year ago so we are looking to have kids within the next couple of years, so that is why I was thinking to just purchase a vehicle in cash. Also, when I mean cash, I still have my savings that I am not touching at all. With interest rates on CDs and savings accounts though, it seems like it wouldn't be making me "that much" money (around 2% in a CD) vs. having a 6% vehicle loan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
I believe they are still offering 0% APR/36 month financing. I tool this option on my truck because I am earning interest on that money in the meantime. Money markets and CDs are low right now...but even 2.5% interest is better than nothing. It is at least something to consider. YMMV.
If this is the case, 0% apr/36 month, then that seems like it may be a better option. My thinking was they quoted me $24,675 for the truck, but if I went to pay with cash, I could possibly get it for $21,000. Is that reasonable, or do you think they would just laugh at me?

Thanks for all the replies
Old 02-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure where you are located, but on Toyota's website they at listing 0%/36mo until March 2nd...at least for the South East region.

Offer them $21k - the most they can do is say no, right?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, I believe Toyota has cash back on Tacomas right now, as high as $1500.--may be better for your situation then 0% apr. Also, I would do the deal on-line. Send them your offer and get everything in writing. Make sure they don't apply the rebate to come up with the price...
Thanks for all the replies

[quote=thatdood;414899]Thanks for the advice. I just sold my car so yes I need a vehicle. I got married over a year ago so we are looking to have kids within the next couple of years, so that is why I was thinking to just purchase a vehicle in cash. Also, when I mean cash, I still have my savings that I am not touching at all. With interest rates on CDs and savings accounts though, it seems like it wouldn't be making me "that much" money (around 2% in a CD) vs. having a 6% vehicle loan.

If this is the case, 0% apr/36 month, then that seems like it may be a better option. My thinking was they quoted me $24,675 for the truck, but if I went to pay with cash, I could possibly get it for $21,000. Is that reasonable, or do you think they would just laugh at me?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know what happened^

Actually, I believe Toyota has cash back on Tacomas right now, as high as $1500.--may be better for your situation then 0% apr. Also, I would do the deal on-line. Send them your offer and get everything in writing. Make sure they don't apply the rebate to come up with the price...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went to the dealer today and they are at $24767, but they said that includes the $1000 rebate. I've still got to weigh my options.