1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Link: Backup Camera Kit into OEM non-JBL display

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blackened302, May 19, 2013.

1. Oct 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    bueller

bueller Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    The grid lines are probably in the monitor on the mirror and not part of the camera image at all.

2. Oct 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    tonytsai0429

tonytsai0429 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Racy Inferno
    Perhaps its my installation flaws, but, my camera didn't work as suppose to, i have followed the instruction (4 pages) par his kit.

I'm currently seeking help from him as we speak.

however, if anyone can help to share their experience in the harness and blank installation would be great. it was mind blogging as i was taking off the OEM camera harness and blanks off the truck and realized the number 2 blanks, as picture attached, hole wasn't able to let the kit's camera slid in. as the OEM camera harness was smaller, sliding it out and free the OEM harness was easy

[​IMG]

any comments is welcome for the sequence on installing the harness

3. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    tonytsai0429

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Racy Inferno
    never mind, i somehow went kookoo for a second, the routing when fine now. i just need to wiggle the blank 1 to go through where the blank 2 suppose to sit.

my problem was that i wasn't able to get through blank 1 through the hole where blank 2 suppose to sit...

4. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    tonytsai0429

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Racy Inferno
    I want to pile on more info to this thread what help me to get this done, the seller walked me through to check on one by one.

in one of the instruction, I believed it was #4 on the page, seller supply additional wiring need to insert into the OEM socket pin, and the instruction specific said to "lift the pin lock", I had no idea what that mean at all, so without further ado, when the instruction said lifting pin lock here is the photo accordingly:

[​IMG]

this photo in above is supplied by the seller on eBay.

that red wiring insertion wasn't sitting flush hindering what it suppose to work correctly.

another thing about the taps for the radio to fall out correctly, the three taps location reference:

[​IMG]

now I'm a happy camper!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jan 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    Mdowling56

Mdowling56 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Drives like caddie... But it's a truck
    This is a huge bummer... I was stoked to find out about this mod but loosing the grid lines kills it.

6. Jan 28, 2014 at 4:46 AM
    OldChuck

OldChuck Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Upstate SC
    The lines are built into the camera itself. You can however change the plug and play camera as I did and get the lines. The camera is sold by the same person who sells this unit. Mine works very well and cost less then $20 if I can remember. I really like having my display in my screen on my '13. Money well spent...You could possibly get the camera cheaper but I went the easy route and got it from the guy who sells the units... Again, works great and looks like the pictures here..

7. Jan 29, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    Mdowling56

Mdowling56 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Drives like caddie... But it's a truck
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know they were that inexpensive. do you remember who you bought from?

How accurate are the gridlines on your new camera? We have super tight parking spaces at work and I love being able to whip truck in using the backup camera / grid lines.

If the camera wasn't made for the truck, would the width of the grid lines be accurate? These might be dumb questions also.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. Jan 30, 2014 at 4:44 AM
    OldChuck

OldChuck Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Upstate SC
    The lines are accurate and I believe that they came from a Toyota as I have seen the same lines on Toyotas. Given that the unit is from Toyota, the lines are accurate and fit the truck. I don't like the bottom line that says "check surrounds for safety" or the "Stop" but I think that is in most units as a safety reminder. I could have gotten an even better camera without that but would have cost more. This unit is not as good as the one in my wife's Acura but I would expect that but it is as good as I have seen in other vehicles. Looks just like the one displayed by Tonytsai0429 on this page. The seller works off of Ebay and is mentioned in this thread on this page by El Lobo on 6/24/13. He knows Toyotas well and I beileve he has or does work for a Toyota dealer. For me, this unit is a vast improvement over the one in the mirror.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. May 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    Papa K

Papa K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 4 cyl
    Sub'd for future install

10. May 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    posseejesse

posseejesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Aiken, S.C.
    Vehicle:
    2013 white dcsb sport 4x4
    Sock monkey retro decals Egr visors Black front emblem Window tint all around Moto-bed extender debadged destination MT's 265/17's weather tech floor mats 3" Icon Coilovers Light Racing Uca's Dakar Springs Rear Icon shocks
    I see people putting that they have non-jbl/Entune, unless I missed a post. Can this be done with the JBL/Entune in dash also?

11. Jan 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    wlshew0311

wlshew0311 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Charleston, sc
    I have a 2012 tacoma, but upgraded to a 2014 nav system. I was wondering what wires I need to move the display from the mirror to the head unit. Thanks

12. Jan 8, 2015 at 3:12 PM
    GTACO

GTACO GTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    Murrieta, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Camburg Spindles, Total Chaos UCAs & LCAs, Fox 2.5 c/o front, Fox 2.0 rear, All Pro 3" leafs, Dumped Borla muffler, AFE intake, DTF front bumper, Demello rear bumper.
    Trying to find the correct parts I need but having no luck... Can anyone provide a link or part numbers?
    I have a 2007 Tacoma with a 2013 stereo. Looking to wire up the stereo with back up camera.

Products Discussed in

To Top