1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Double Cab SR5 Driving Habits....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by desantim, May 20, 2013.

1. May 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    desantim

desantim [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Oregon
    Hello all, newer 2012 Tacoma I bought certified a few weeks back. Double cab, Winter 265/75/16s for tires, good tread, just for a back ground.

Has the automatic, 4x4, towing, double cab, SR5 etc.

The other day it rained here in Portland. Went to go make a left through a turn signal, was probably going around 30, nothing crazy at all, was right along with traffic, the important part, I didn't touch the gas, and well damn, the rear end swung out on me. It was pretty crazy, first truck I've ever owned, and well, I've flown through that same light, much wetter, much faster in my previous cars, and zip, stable. Is this normal?

Also, same day, was showing my mom the new truck, took off out of a light, gave the truck some gas in a straight line on wet blacktop and the rear end started pulling to the right again, this time straight. I gave it enough gas to break the tires loose this time and welp, that's also a first in a car other than my old 350z.

My main question is, this seems a bit... Uncharacteristic of a truck with big tires, lots of footprint, 4x4, traction control, etc etc.

What am I missing? I was non-too impressed by how badly this truck performed in simple wet rain, I can only imagine if it got some snow out how bad it would be.

Any advice, suggestions, etc? For background, I'm a good driver, been driving for almost 20 years, zero accidents, 25 different types of cars/motorcycles, I have a lot of experience.

I'm venturing to say it wasn't user error that was causing the issues with the Tacoma.

Thanks!
    Mario

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  2. May 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    uncleART

uncleART Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    3" Toytec ULK 285/75-16 BFG KO2 Verge FN Wheels DeBadged, Toyota Bedmat, Window tint 30%, DeFlapped the front, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec coil overs, Dakar leafs, LR UCAs, SwayBar relocate, TRD Offroad tow hook, RotoPax, DeFlapped the rear, Tailgate mod, CBI receiver shackle w/ Bolt Hitch Pin, BFG KO2 285/75-16, FNWheels Verge, Weathertech Floor Liners, Spare tire mod, UWS toolbox with Bolt Latch Retrofit, Rear Diff vent relocated, Blacked-out grill emblem, Toolbox Bedrail mod, Trailer Plug relocated, ECGS bushing, Redline Hood Struts, Leer 100XR, C4 Fabrication Lo-Pro Bumper, Relentless Fab Frame Reinforcements, Warn 9.5XP-S Winch, Baja Designs S8 20" Lighbar, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery Tray, Odessey 35-PC1400 Batteries, BlueSea ML-ACR
    Nice Tacoma. Good choice on the dclb!

What kind of tires do you have? When I was researching winter tires for my Corolla, I discovered that a lot of them do poorly on wet pavement. You might go to TireRack.com and find your exact tire and see what the specs and reviews say.

3. May 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    desantim

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Oregon
    Thanks all, that makes sense, just light rear end, possible bad rain tires, even if they say winter on them. I'll do that go to tire rack and see what these tires say.

Thanks all! LOVE my truck, it's one of my favorite cars I've ever owned.

4. May 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    Skeeter Skeetin

Skeeter Skeetin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Daphne, AL
    Vehicle:
    MGM 4x4 V6 6 speed
    5100's all around w/ 1.75" front. 1.5" Toytec AAL ARE shell with roof rack. Weathertech vent-visors and floormats 20% tint on front. Black and charcol wet okole's VLED V3 Triton DTRL's/turn signals. ECGS bushing
    Mine did that all the time when it rained on my stock Dunlops. I upgraded them to Cooper ATP tires and it feels like it's glued to the pavement when it rains. Coming from another guy whose driven in Portland weather all my life, i reccomend a good A/T tire on this truck.

5. May 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    kegman

kegman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Regina sask canada
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd 4x4 2007
    One thing .Did your VSC kick in it should have I think. One other thing is you didn't say if you have ever owned another truck before .They don't handle like a smaller sedan etc. as my brother in law found out ( used to driving small imports all his life ).Damm near killed us trying to negotiate a high speed turn like he did with his Honda civic.

6. May 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    magnum922

magnum922 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB 4.0 tow pkg 4x4
    Is there air springs on it?

7. May 21, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    desantim

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Oregon
    No air springs that I know of. It's completely stock at this point. I looked, and the tires are some off brand local to us here in Oregon through Les Schwab, Wintercat SSTs or something. I'll be upgrading them when I get the opportunity, I'll just have to drive it carefully for a while, I really would rather not dump another 800+ into tires when these are almost brand new. I bet they have another 10k+ on them.

First truck as the title stated, I've owned every other type of vehicle, just never a truck.

Thanks all!

8. May 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    The only tires I ever had trouble with on my DC were the stock BFG Rugged Trails. They sucked, and what happened to you happened to me once with them on. Now I have two different sets, BFG K/O's for summer and Continental Cross-Contacts for summer. Haven't had an issue since. I don't know if it matters much, but my DC is the short bed, not the long bed.

9. May 21, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Welcome to TW neighbor! :) I to had the same thing happen o me when my truck was stock and with my 33" duratracs it feels alot better and is harder to break the rear tires loose..

Products Discussed in

To Top