Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

stock trd wheels-plasti dip

Old 05-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
wut?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
A bunch of guys on TW have plasti dipped their wheels and love it. If you like flat black wheels, you probably will too. And it's definitely the cheapest/easiest option. Google "plasti dip trd wheels" - you'll see tons of pics.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
runner05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Karl
runner05's Tacoma Gallery
If you have extra budget, have them powder coated instead. Still, plastidip is a good option to paint your wheels though it will last for a couple of months depending on how you prep it and if you always do off-road driving.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
The one nice thing about Plasti Dip is if you don't like it... you can always remove it. I tend to use it as a precursor for mods that I may do in the future as there is no lasting effect if you don't like it.

Plasti Dipped my lower Valance (thanks to the advice from members here) before committing to actually painting it since I liked it.

Before Plasti Dip

After Plasti Dip

Final Paint after peeling off the Plasti Dip and then prep, primer, then Rhino Lined

Kind of hard to tell a difference in the pictures but it allowed me to experiment without committing and regretting.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Sparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
Sparky73's Tacoma Gallery
B.Turner, Did you PlastiDip your grill too? Any special prep for the chrome or did you just spray it. I've seen some posts about light sanding and prepping with an etching primer...just don't want to damage in case I don't like it.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
I Plasti-dipped my stock TRD wheels, they were bubbling at the edges from road salt or whatever cheapness Toyota made them with. At any rate, I lost nothing by doing it. That was three years ago and no Plasti-dip has peeled off at all. It does look 'flatter' now, and it's a little harder to clean brake dust and road grime off of, but not impossible.

If you don't like it, use WD-40 and it'll come right off. Or if you can pop a corner you can peel most of it off like sunburned skin. Go for it, just make sure you prep good before laying down the coat.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Plasti-Dip! It holds up very well and it's extremely easy to apply. I Plasti-Dipped mine and used Rustoleum Crystal Clear clear coat to give them extra shine & protection.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky73 View Post
Any special prep for the chrome or did you just spray it. I've seen some posts about light sanding and prepping with an etching primer...just don't want to damage in case I don't like it.
No sanding is needed for Plasti Dip. All you really need to do is clean the chrome up before you spray it
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky73 View Post
B.Turner, Did you PlastiDip your grill too? Any special prep for the chrome or did you just spray it. I've seen some posts about light sanding and prepping with an etching primer...just don't want to damage in case I don't like it.
No. The only thing that I have used Plasti Dip on is my lower valance so far. I found out about it on here and used it and liked how it looked. I peeled it off and actually painted (Rhino Lined) it. There is no prep work involved other than I just used Windex to clean off the area to be sprayed. Take your time and use light coats. Seems like I put down maybe 4-5 before it finally covered. I left it like that for a few days and liked how it looked. It was bugging me that It didn't match my grill and head lights so I Rhino Lined it to match.

As far as the grill goes, I Rhino Lined it because it "used" to have a chrome surround but coming back from Colorado a rock took a big hunk out of the chrome right on top of the grill. I hate chrome anyway so I sanded it down, filled the spot where the chrome was, primed it, and Rhino Lined it.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtyfighterx View Post
I'm just trying to convince myself that black wheels look good on a white truck guess I need some pics or opinions on that
They aren't TRD Wheels but I love them on my white truck

Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
your truck looks awsome i have a light bar on the way i went with the westin one but ya that does look good with black wheels ill probably end up doing it and if i dont like ill peel it off ha
That is the one nice thing about Plasti Dip. It allows you to figure out if you like it or not. If you don't you've lost nothing and it goes right back to stock.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
for sure only thing you lose is time ha but ya ill give it a try and post some pics up
Cool man... Can't wait to see them!