Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Some pre-purchase questions

Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
sneumeyer is on a distinguished road

Name: Skyler
sneumeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Some pre-purchase questions

I'm looking at buying a new Tacoma and had a few questions first. I know I need a double cab. I've previously had a 2008 regular cab and definitely need more room than that. I also know that I want 4WD and white. My issue is if to go with the long or short bed. I do put dirt bikes in the back but I also have a trailer if need be but I prefer the back of the truck. I might be putting a topper on it for utility reasons anyway though. I like to do some off roading, mostly to get to places for camping or mountain biking or other activities so I was planning on getting the TRD Off Road just for the locker. I've heard that you can't get the Off Road package with the long bed, but then somebody told me that you could. Long story short, can you get the Off Road package with the long bed and if you can't, does the locker and shorter wheelbase make that much of a difference off road. I would also like to know what kind of prices people are getting 2013's for so I have a base for haggling. I want to finance some of it to build credit since I just turned 18 if that matters in the end price. Sorry for the wall of text, first time posting. Thanks for any tips.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
no dbl cab long bed offroad is available.
I feel the wheel base of the dbl cab long bed changes alot offroad.. im glad i have the short bed.
go to the what did you pay for your 2013 thread.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Also check out this thread if you want to get an idea what people are paying all across the board. Maybe search inside the thread for state names that are surrounding you so that you get slightly more accurate prices.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6071628

For what its worth here in GA, got my Double-cab short bed TRD OR 4x4 for right around $30,998 which came out to $33,200 out the door after ttl. It was right on par for what I pulled off of edmunds and truecar for my area. Most dealers seem to stock way more PreRunners down here than 4x4, so they generate higher demand for 4x4 models. But they can be had for a little cheaper.

As far as bed space, I found this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...irt-bikes.html
Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I personally couldn't deal with having a short bed. I use it in its entirety way too often. That's why I went with the access cab. Crew cab would be nice, but I need the bed more. I use my wife's car when I need to carry people. The access cab provides me with enough space in the back like for my dog or other things I need to carry inside.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Get a DCLB 4x4 SR5 and add a locker
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
neverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedneverstuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
I have the double cab and the long box because I need/like the space. If off roading really is your priority go for the short box. I initially had the same concerns - I really enjoyed having the locker on my 4runner. Looking back, I have done lots of off roading and trail riding on my last 2 trucks (both the double cab long beds) without the locker, and don't regret getting the long bed at all. The limited slip diff is actually very capable off road.

couple extra inches of lift and bigger tires makes up for a longer wheelbase if you're hell-bent on pushing it.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
you get the OR package in a long bed if you buy an access cab but just get what you want
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
I went with a double cab shirt bed and have no regrets. I can fit 2 dirtbikes in the bed without a problem. Personally I wouldn't go with the Off Road. If the trails you use are to get to mountain bike and camping places, I assume they're not crazy gnarly. You'd be surprised what a 4wd Sport can do with aired down tires.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
How much would a good aftermarket locker run with install? Would it generally be higher quality than the Toyota one?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
And still get high centered on mall parking curbs.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
rhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vladimir
rhavin42's Tacoma Gallery
DCLB 4x4 should do you just fine. Mine has gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go.

Take a look at doing the yellow wire mod so you can have TRAC in 4lo and relocate the trailer harness. With the longer wheelbase and decreased breakover angles you'll rip that thing off in no time!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneumeyer View Post
How much would a good aftermarket locker run with install? Would it generally be higher quality than the Toyota one?
Most here run the ARB locker I believe
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
And still get high centered on mall parking curbs.
Horsehockey
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the sb because it had the same shell base as my Ranger Supercab and I liked the turning radius. Work trucks were full sized pu's and they were less maneuverable.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post
Get the DCLB SR5 and get a locker...best of both worlds
Yep
Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #18

Final decision

Well, I picked up a brand new 2013 Double cab short bed TRD-Off Road on Tuesday. The dealer had a white DCLB SR5 and a white DCSB TRD-OR so I got to drive them back to back, which was nice. One of the final decision makers was that the short bed also happened to have whatever the package is that gives you navigation and Entune. I haven't put my dirtbike in the bed yet, so we'll see how that goes, but I'm loving everything else. Thanks for the help everybody.