Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tailgate question

Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
ASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ASUAviator's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate question

Tried searching, found nothing.

I put my Honda foreman in the bed of my truck which prevents me from being able to shut the tailgate. What is a good safe way to secure the tailgate at an angle so that I can still use the tow hitch?? Im also thinking of using one of those hitch racks to throw stuff on but once again need the tailgate lifted up out of the way. What works for you?

I don't want to take the tailgate off in said situations.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Should have bought a long bed...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Get a small trailer..... and save the bed for your personal items.

or

Since you want to put it at an angle - that tells me that the ATV isn't going to be sitting on it. TAKE the tailgate OFF. These 2nd gen tailgates are weak...and prone to getting bent. Better off taking it off .... Use more straps to hold the ATV back towards the cab.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
ASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have an access cab with the 6 foot bed. The quad doesn't sit on the tailgate but the tires prevent it from fully closing. It comes close but no cigar. Looks like ill be fabricating something myself
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUAviator View Post
I have an access cab with the 6 foot bed. The quad doesn't sit on the tailgate but the tires prevent it from fully closing. It comes close but no cigar. Looks like ill be fabricating something myself
I remember someone fabbed a small set of ramps that went IN the bed up towards the cab......the angle made the quad be on an incline and that caused it to come "forward" a couple feet.

srry cant remember who it was
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
You say you want one of those hitch mounted cargo racks? If you have the tailgate open, you're going to have to extend it out past the tailgate. That will make your truck VERY long at the back, and might even start giving you a bit too much swing on turns. If I were you, just take the tailgate off and/or build some sort of ramp at the front.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Right here..........

http://www.vehicle-systems.com/tailgate.htm

Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
The Chevy Colorado bed has adjustments in the tailgate cable, so you can open the tailgate like that, wish Toyota had that feature!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #9

Gas, Just like that! Thanks!!