Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealership says 5W-30 Mobile 1???

Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wishbone1965's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcom221 View Post
Add a Fumoto QwikValve and you will actually love doing your own oil changes!!

http://www.qwikvalve.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
Anyone else have any experience with these?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
use OEM filter and the mobile 1.

^^^^ This.

I had the free 25k maintenance program on my truck (and currently have it on my FR-S) and I still just do my own maintenance. It's not worth the gamble IMO to let the dealership do it when I "know" that I am doing it correctly. Plus I just like turning wrenches
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
^^^^ This.

I had the free 25k maintenance program on my truck (and currently have it on my FR-S) and I still just do my own maintenance. It's not worth the gamble IMO to let the dealership do it when I "know" that I am doing it correctly. Plus I just like turning wrenches
Me too but they do not change the oil until 10k. I am going to do it at 5k. Then they can do it at 10k & 20. After that I am going to 7.5k. I think 5k is overkill with syn. When I used conventional I was on 3k intervals but switched to 5k because of the improvements in oil. Sporttrac is at 160k on 5k changes with Castrol conventional. It does not use a drop between changes.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
use OEM filter and the mobile 1.
X2. Do it yourself so you know for sure what's going in your ride
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
Me too but they do not change the oil until 10k. I am going to do it at 5k. Then they can do it at 10k & 20. After that I am going to 7.5k. I think 5k is overkill with syn. When I used conventional I was on 3k intervals but switched to 5k because of the improvements in oil. Sporttrac is at 160k on 5k changes with Castrol conventional. It does not use a drop between changes.

Yeah... They said that on my FR-S. Not to bring it in until 7500 miles. I just can't make myself do that. I realize that it is probably okay but I just can't. Even with Syn I still change mine at 5K. I might be wasting my time and money but it makes me feel better and certainly doesn't hurt anything.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Think I will just do it myself. With all the quick oil change places around I haven't done it in years. Quick question. My driveway has a steep slope on it. Does it matter if the truck was parked uphill or downhill when I do the oil change? Or should I pull it in the garage where the surface is flat? Sorry for the stupid questions...
Old 05-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #27

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone1965 View Post
Think I will just do it myself. With all the quick oil change places around I haven't done it in years. Quick question. My driveway has a steep slope on it. Does it matter if the truck was parked uphill or downhill when I do the oil change? Or should I pull it in the garage where the surface is flat? Sorry for the stupid questions...
Flat would be best. And not a stupid question at all.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #28
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 + OEM filters + Fumoto F103S (short nipple) on my Tacoma & 4Runner
Could not be happier...
I also use a silver paint sharpie to mark the top of my oil filters the mileage when changed.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
Flat would be best. And not a stupid question at all.
Thank you!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
I also use a silver paint sharpie to mark the top of my oil filters the mileage when changed.
This is a great idea! Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
Fumoto F103S (short nipple) on my Tacoma & 4Runner.
This seems like it would make life much easier. Anyone ever have any problems with these?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #32
siggy is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
siggy's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has always had a dealer or quick change place do his oil changes. I have always done my own. When I bought a vehicle from him years ago I had to get a new oil plug because the place he had changing his oil had stripped the plug. I think I'll do it myself using Castrol 5W-30 Synblend and a Purolator Pure One filter. I've been using that combo in my Jeeps for years and haven't had one burn oil yet. I'm sure Mobil 1 and the OEM filter are just as good.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So no one knows if the dealership actually uses mobile 1?
I had the dealer do my first oil change at 5k. I asked for synthetic and asked for mobil 1. They said that's what they use anyway. When i got in the truck the tech had left me the extra half quart in the bottle. I had paid for six quarts so i guess they decided to let me have the unused half quart. It was mobil 1 5w30 as promised.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #34
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
And i also have the fumoto with the nipple. Makes oil changes sooooo much easier! Not a drop of oil spilled on the garage floor i also have an ato skid and it sits plenty above the skid so i dont see any debris hitting it or causing problems. If you are concerned you can remove the nipple between changes to keep it lower profile.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #35
Toyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
Toyotacerttech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So no one knows if the dealership actually uses mobile 1?
Where I work at all the engine oil is mobile 1, Toyota has a website where the dealerships order all of the chemicals.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacerttech View Post
Where I work at all the engine oil is mobile 1, Toyota has a website where the dealerships order all of the chemicals.
This is good to know! You don't happen to work in Lubbock do you? Lol
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #37
scuba fanatic
kn61408 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E7 retired
kn61408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would think facing uphill so the drain is low or parked flat would be the ticket. Just my $.02.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #38
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Fumoto Drain Valve also.....had it since 2008. Gotta love oil changes without needing any tools!!

I also use Mobile 1 5W-30 and OEM filters. (edited)

The type of oil a dealership uses will vary from dealership to dealership. And I think it depends on different regions, which contracts they have with the oil companies...and all that marketing crap.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #39
Toyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
Toyotacerttech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is good to know! You don't happen to work in Lubbock do you? Lol
Nope I work in Del Rio about 3 hours west of San Antonio.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #40
MadMan is on a distinguished road

MadMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

I also use Mobile 1 75W-90 and OEM filters.

You use gear oil in your engine?