Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealership says 5W-30 Mobile 1???

Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #41
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wishbone1965's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn61408 View Post
I would think facing uphill so the drain is low or parked flat would be the ticket. Just my $.02.
Would uphill be better than flat?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #42
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I have a Fumoto Drain Valve also.....had it since 2008. Gotta love oil changes without needing any tools!!

I also use Mobile 1 75W-90 and OEM filters.

The type of oil a dealership uses will vary from dealership to dealership. And I think it depends on different regions, which contracts they have with the oil companies...and all that marketing crap.
Did some reading on this and some people are saying that its possible for the small particles or shavings can get caught up in this. Anyone know about this?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #44
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone1965 View Post
Did some reading on this and some people are saying that its possible for the small particles or shavings can get caught up in this. Anyone know about this?
I haven't had any issues with it.

If you're thinking about buying one - It does drain slower because the hole is smaller. You just open it up and walk away for 15 minutes while it drains. No biggie. Because the valve screws up into the oil pan, there is a small amount of oil that doesn't get drained because of the threads that stick up above the pan (inside). So - if you're one of those guys who's gotta get every last drop of old oil out...you won't want to buy this thing.

If shavings get caught in it, you'll probably notice it'll drain even slower than normal. You can remove it and I would think...you can easily clean it. It's not a complex thing. I've never had mine off in 5 years. Hmm I might take mine off just to install a new gasket.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #45
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you have particles big enough to clog that up in your engine oil, you've got much larger problems than figuring out how to drain it.

As for your orig. question... Each dealer I'm sure uses whatever oils they want to. Yours very well may use Mobil 1, but another dealer may use some other brand.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #46
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
If you have particles big enough to clog that up in your engine oil, you've got much larger problems than figuring out how to drain it.
^^^ Exactly. Large Particles or Shavings in the oil? There should not be any.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #47
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Would uphill be better than flat?
Flat is fine. The drain plug is at the lowest point on the engine so you will get "most" of the old oil out of the engine. It is impossible to get all of the old oil out of your truck even if you were to turn it upside down and shake the piss out of it

Besides that's not really the point. You just want to get the old oil out and put the new clean oil in with a new filter. As far as the drain valve that people are using it looks fine although I don't personally use one. I can see the benefit of having one but it just looks like one more thing that could possibly be knocked off if you do happen to take it off road. I have nothing against it but I just personally take the plug out and let it drain then put the new oil in.

Just whatever you do... make sure you put a small bead of oil around the gasket on the new oil filter before installing it and for god sake make sure the "old" oil filter gasket is still on the old filter when you take it off and not still stuck to where the filter sits on the engine. You will know if you miss this step real quick because you will have one hell of a clean up job

As other's have said, If you have particles big enough to stop up the drain hole on that valve you have much bigger problems to worry about. You should never have any large (much less small) particles coming out of your engine (ever!).

Good luck and enjoy wrenching on your truck!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
Flat is fine. The drain plug is at the lowest point on the engine so you will get "most" of the old oil out of the engine. It is impossible to get all of the old oil out of your truck even if you were to turn it upside down and shake the piss out of it

Besides that's not really the point. You just want to get the old oil out and put the new clean oil in with a new filter. As far as the drain valve that people are using it looks fine although I don't personally use one. I can see the benefit of having one but it just looks like one more thing that could possibly be knocked off if you do happen to take it off road. I have nothing against it but I just personally take the plug out and let it drain then put the new oil in.

Just whatever you do... make sure you put a small bead of oil around the gasket on the new oil filter before installing it and for god sake make sure the "old" oil filter gasket is still on the old filter when you take it off and not still stuck to where the filter sits on the engine. You will know if you miss this step real quick because you will have one hell of a clean up job

As other's have said, If you have particles big enough to stop up the drain hole on that valve you have much bigger problems to worry about. You should never have any large (much less small) particles coming out of your engine (ever!).

Good luck and enjoy wrenching on your truck!
Thanks so much of all the good information!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #49
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks so much of all the good information!
My pleasure!