Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would you put 28 hours into detailing your Tacoma?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Zero View Post

I find it theraputic. Turn up the radio on the garage, stay up late waxing.
Funny you say that. I feel the same way about it.

Back when I used to race bikes I used to lace my own spokes in my wheels and I also found that therapeutic. I assume that it is pretty much the same thing with tying flies for fly fishing.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I hardly have time to shit and eat each day. And I cannot garage my truck at my current house. My detailed program: wash every couple months, wax and vac ~2x year, clean glass when interior smut appears, park far away from others to minimize door dings.
This is my schedule as well. If even that regular. It's a truck for crying out loud.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
It's a truck for crying out loud.
Different strokes friend
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
I would cry on the first puddle I drove through.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
Name: Danny
kiteboarder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubs View Post
That looks great! I don't think I could ever commit to that sort of cleaning schedule. Certainly a lot of good info in that blog though so thank you for sharing.

I am curious about the comment you made about removing the mud flaps. I would imagine after all the work you just went through with the detail job you would be pretty upset to find a few rock dings that could have been prevented if you left the flaps on.

Also, now that you went through all the work are you happy with the products you used and their performance? Are there any changes you think you might make for the next time?

Hmmm. Good point about the mud flaps. Not sure what to say about that... yet.

I've been considering a clear bra to keep the front tidy. Wonder if clear vinyl on the bottom of the quarter panels might solve this. Maybe behind the front tires too. I have a buddy running mud tires with no flaps on his '07 Taco. I'm going to inspect it and see where the rock chips are, if any. If they are all concentrated on the same area, clear vinyl might be the trick for that.

About the products. I'm perfectly happy with all the products I used. The only things I would try next time would be...

1. A more aggressive clay bar.
2. Different wax.

The Collinite wax is great, but I would like to try something else over white in order to compare results.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahskierdave View Post
Wow...I love keeping my truck clean....but I can only dream of having it this clean. Nice work!
Thank you. I do like how it stays cleaner, longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Zero View Post
Yes, yes I would. Funny cause I have the exact same truck (year/model/color). I skipped the sealant this time but will apply next round. This time only sonnus ultra fine clay/Clearkote moose wax. Back when I had my 04 Silver Tacoma I put 5 layers of sealant topped with Carnuba. It looked like it was dipped in oil.

I find it theraputic. Turn up the radio on the garage, stay up late waxing.
It is therapeutic. I use big headphones plugged into my iPhone. As you can see in the top pic of the Collinite 845 article on the same site. On friday nights, after work, I'll get home and detail my Miata from 6 to midnight to get it ready for Cbad Cars and Coffee on Saturday morning.

It's peaceful in my garage. I'll dance around and sing county music while working. It's pretty funny cause neighbors can't hear the music, only me. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 View Post
Bravo man! That is some great work you did! +1 rep
^^^ Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I still haven't waxed my truck yet from the day it was bought. I've been meaning to get around to it.

I usually just rinse once a week to get the general dirt off. I know most everything else still stays stuck.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #29
searchgeek
sportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I would cry on the first puddle I drove through.
I'd think with the level of detail (pardon the pun) in the layers of sealant and wax, that that puddle and it's content, would just bead up and roll off leaving the truck clean enough that a quick rinse would remove any remaining grit.

I think this thread is great - I used to detail cars for a living when I was younger - it's a LOT of work, but the payoff in terms of pride - and longevity - are worth it.

Sadly, for many of us, the desire to invest the time conflicts with other places that time needs to be applied.

Me, I'm just lazy...

Haven't washed the truck since I bought it in 2011..
Haven't washed my 2009 FJR since I bought that new in 2009.
Haven't washed the KTM 690 Enduro R, either...bough that last year, but I think this one is supposed to remain dirty!
DID wash the Z4 last weekend, though that's only the second time in almost 4 years I've wielded the sponges (I have paid others to wash it, though).
Our Jetta? Surely you jest! Garage cleaners, step forward please!

Now, I did a bang up job on cleaning the rear deck today with the hose.

And while I jest, I think it's terrific the OP took on this project and shared it here. Frankly, I need to refresh on clay barring, as that, and the sealant, make a huge difference.

This type of work is therapy. Great chance to focus, clear your mind, enjoy YOUR tunes, knowing you'll be proud of the outcome. Kinda like building your ideal truck, with less expense, time and headaches.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #30
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Too much time... Somebody needs a job!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #31
ninernation is on a distinguished road
ninernation's Tacoma Gallery
28 hours with no paint correction, you're slow mate.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #32
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
If you ever come to Florida...I may kidnap you for a weekend...

What would one charge for a job like that? Say...$500?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #33
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
28 hours? No. At my age, I like being able to walk and lift my arms the next day.

I do like cleaning/fiddling around with my truck though. It is theraputic to look at it after a long Saturday morning/afternoon cleaning it.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #34
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I could see 28 hours of detailing... Over the life of my truck maybe. I wash my truck maybe 3 times a years and clean the inside decently 1 time annually.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
phatso is on a distinguished road
phatso's Tacoma Gallery
28 hours of detailing? Maybe... if I wasn't in grad school, if I didn't work all day in a school and a couple of extra hours in an after school program, and if I wasn't a lazy son of a _________.

Seriously, I try to wash my truck once every couple of weeks. However, I live on a dirt road in an area that is usually pretty windy, so I've learned to live with it being a little dirty for long periods of time.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #36

Here you go....

This thread is located Here. Thought you would be interested in it.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
Awesome work! Just posted on your thread. My next project will be another coat of wax after a wash - 4 hours. But eventually, I want to do the undercarriage and engine bay... I'm curious about your approach to 303 Aerospace Protectant. I used it only on plastics. Seems use used it everywhere on the undercarriage and bay.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #38
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy View Post
Um, no offence, but you missed a spot...
Hahaha!

I live on a dirt road that's off a dirt road, that's off another dirt road. My truck gets dirty even as I wash it. I give it an hour or so every now and again.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #39
I see this thread is lacking in pictures, although B. Turner helped improve it. So, let's post some...

Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #40
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
My exterior is a wash (literally), but I could sure go for an interior like that! Kiteborder, did you post your mileage already?