Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

K&N FILTER

Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Matt47025 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Matt47025's Tacoma Gallery
K&N FILTER

I just bought a 2013 reg cab 4cyl Tacoma. Is there anyone out there that has installed a K&N air intake? If so what were the results????

Thanks,
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
Cold air intakes do not add any horsepower just makes a lot of noise. I would recommend the afe pro dry S drop in filter.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
I got 97 tacoma, 2.4 . Personally, I likes KN filters cool Air Intake, it give me an extra horsepower( No scientific test were performed) a quicker respond,not that loud. I also likes good gas mileage.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
pmbazus is on a distinguished road
pmbazus's Tacoma Gallery
K&N FILTER

I have a 2012 Reg Cab 4 cyl. I had a K&N intake but I didn't like the way it sounded plus it is not a cold air intake. I tried a K&N drop in filter and I liked it. I now have a Volant intake and I like it. May not add HP but I like the way it sounds. I have a K&N drop in and a Afe ProDry drop in for the 2.7 I am going to sell. Both are like new.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
Africa is not for sissies!
4x4 Ralph is on a distinguished road

Name: Ralph
4x4 Ralph's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 4x4 Ralph
good, but....

sorry...I don't want to be the wise guy....I just like to share my experiences with K&N filters that I use since 15 or more years ( a part of my job is to investigate technical related vehicle accidents and break downs):

cold air intake:
this is in most cases just a name and doesn't give the engine colder air...it makes more (noise) impression but doesn't improve the power...especially driving too fast through deep(er) water on the road may cause under bad circumstances that the engine sucks in water which may end up in the intake manifold....don't need to explain what that means...the engine is under bad circumstanced just dead!

drop in filters:
increases the response time (especially with turbo/super charged systems) based on a lower gas floating resistance...
but
you buy that increase with a worse filter ability...I have seen engines using K&N filters for some 100.000km and one (or more) cylinder(s) were 'washed' out by the little 'grinding' particles that the filter is not able to take out

I am living in Africa and I know what I am talking about

My suggestion:

K&N drop in air filter, raised air intake and a cyclon air filter that takes out those small 'sand/grinding' particles...and you are on the safe side

see the 2 examples attached
Attached Thumbnails
K&N FILTER-airintake.jpg   K&N FILTER-airintake-landy.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
If you drive it about 5-7k Rpm range then it does add power
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Africa is not for sissies!
4x4 Ralph is on a distinguished road

Name: Ralph
4x4 Ralph's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 4x4 Ralph
Smile right and wrong

air intake system are very well calculated and designed
it depends on the altitude (ambient pressure), temperature, RPM and power demand how effective these different air filter (cold air intake) systems work

for sure you will sense a raised power/torque in certain RPM areas...over the whole RPM range it is very hard to prove - under scientific laboratory conditions ... on a dynanometer...defined pressure and temperature conditions etc etc

basically I agree...otherwise I wouldn't use those drop in filters myself...just very difficult to make a suggestion suitable for all possible circumstances

Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
FLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
FLAJIM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbazus View Post
I have a 2012 Reg Cab 4 cyl. I had a K&N intake but I didn't like the way it sounded plus it is not a cold air intake. I tried a K&N drop in filter and I liked it. I now have a Volant intake and I like it. May not add HP but I like the way it sounds. I have a K&N drop in and a Afe ProDry drop in for the 2.7 I am going to sell. Both are like new.
If you still have the AFE, PM me I am interested Thanks JIM
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
I've used K&N air filters for many years on multilple cars. I cannot say they increase hp or torque or make you look better. But they work, they last and it's one area you won't have to worry about on your car.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
DocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to behold

DocsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 tacoma owner View Post
Cold air intakes do not add any horsepower just makes a lot of noise. I would recommend the afe pro dry S drop in filter.
+1
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
I've used K&N air filters for many years on multilple cars. I cannot say they increase hp or torque or make you look better. But they work, they last and it's one area you won't have to worry about on your car.
They work at what?