1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is this button?!?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2469, May 21, 2013.

1. May 22, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    jci2005

jci2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Richfield N.C.
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma double cab 6sp
    20% tint,vent visors,custom sub box, are camper shell,fog lights on anytime mod, 3 inch lift
    Ok, I have this same light/button but its actually a little further to the right beside the steering column. Not sure if it is the same as yours but I did some searching on here and there is a certain combination of pushing, holding, and keyswitch turning....it turns the horn beep off when the alarm is set. If your horn beeps when the alarm is set, search on here for how to turn it off and it might help you out. Like I said that is just what mine does....hope this helps

mahaloTaco likes this.
  2. May 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Hate when that happens
    No. No. Non. Nicht. No. Ne.

3. May 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM

2469 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gulfport, Ms
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 Access Cab
    Thanks for the info. I tried setting the alarm off last night but I couldnt get it to go off. Maybe I need to try a little harder.

4. May 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM

2469 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gulfport, Ms
    Vehicle:
    lol that has to be my favorite answer so far

5. May 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    and I bet you thought you were going to get straight-up, boring answers on here :D

6. May 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    RedTacoDriver

RedTacoDriver Out of my mind....be back later.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7L
    BakFlipG2, Westin Nerf Bars, Harbor Freight Bed Jacks, Flame Devil Horns, vinyl raven emblems, intermittent wiper switch swapout More to come.
    It looked like the self destruct button to me.

7. May 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    4x4yota

4x4yota 4wd is awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    PA
    Vehicle:
    02 trd stepside v6
    Try a hammer...like a big one..if it still doesnt go off..well its not an alarm then :D

8. May 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    2012tacolover

2012tacolover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    CA/AL
    Vehicle:
    White PreRunner TRD Sport DCSB
    Tinted Windows, Black Nerf Bars, LED Dome & Map Lights, Snugtop Xtra-Vision, WeatherTech Digitalfit front and rear, trimmed Front Mud Flaps, BFG A/T KO's, Matt123 White Skid, Devil Horn Emblem Wet Okole front and rear seat covers! Future Stuff: Lift and new Wheels! :)
  9. May 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    I believe it's something to do with the Alarm. My wife's 2006 4runner has the exact same one. We bought it brand new, so it's not aftermarket...

10. May 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

2469 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gulfport, Ms
    Vehicle:
    Wanted to say thanks again for all the help. You guys got me going down the right road. Just to sum it up in case this is an issue for someone else later it is a control switch (same thing as valet switch from what I can tell) for the dealer installed alarm. Did some digging online and found this, might be beneficial for someone else so here ya go:

Control Switch:
    Red Light in OUT Position = Control Switch OFF
    Red Light in IN Position = Control Switch ON

Arming the System:

1. Turn the ignition key off, exit the vehicle, and close all doors, hood, and trunk or rear hatch.
    2. Press and release the LOCK button on the keychain transmitter

a. the Red Dash mounted LED begins to flash slowly

b. Vehicle's parking lights flash one time

c. All of the vehicle's doors lock

d. The headlights turn on for 20 seconds

e. Whenever the system is armed, the red dash mounted LED slowly flashes. It's low current and won't drain the battery.

f. Opening any protected door, hood or trunk will cause the system to immediately activate. It will activate for 30 seconds, then stop and continue to monitor. If the door was left open, it will activate for six 30 second cycles, then re-arm and ignore the opened door.

g. Whenever the system is armed, the the vehicle's starting circuit we be by-passed. if the thief chooses to ignore the activated system, the vehicle's starting circuit is interrupted.

h. Whenever the alarm is activated, the vehicle's parking lights and interior light will flash for the full 30 second alarm cycle. The horn will also sound during the cycle.

i. A soft impact to the vehicle's class will cause the system to sound a series of warn-away tones from the horn.

j. A strong impact to the vehicle's glass will cause the system to sound for the full 30 second alarm cycle.

Whenever you unlock the car, if the parking lights flash two times all is okay. If they flash four times, the system was activated in your absence. Before turning the key on, check the LED for a clue as to what happened:

1. LED flashing one time, pause, one time equals an intrusion attempt to shock sensor or trunk

2. LED flashing two times, pause, two times equals an intrusion attempt on the vehicle's hood

3. LED flashing three times, pause, three times equals an intrusion attempt on one of the vehicle's doors.

Note: If you unlock the car and do not open a door within 30 seconds, the doors will automatically relock and the alarm will re-arm.

Valet Mode temporarily disables all alarm functions, eliminating the need for you to hand your transmitter to parking attendants or garage mechanics. When the system is in Valet mode, all alarm functions are by-passed, but the remote panic feature an door locks will remain operational. To use the valet mode:

1. Enter the vehicle and turn the ignition key to the on position

2. Press the LED light switch to the on (in) position. The dash mounted LED will turn on solid, and remain on as long as the system is left in the valet mode.

3. Turn return to normal alarm operation, press and release the red LED switch back to the off (out) position any time the ignition key is on.

If you lose your keychain, or if the transmitter fails to disarm the system, the driver's door key switch can be used to disarm the system. Open the driver's door using the door key, and when the key is switched to the unlock position, the alarm system will automatically disarm.

The system can be programmed to arm and disarm silently, or you can change the alarm notice to be the car horn instead of the chirp. To do this:

1. start with the LED light switch in the off position, then turn the vehicle's ignition key on, then off

2. Within 10 seconds, cycle the LED light switch to on then off three times (press and release the switch six times)

3. IF the chirps were off before you started, then you will hear 1 chirp indicating they've been turned on

4. If the chirps were on before you started, you will hear 2 chirps indicating that they have been turned off.

11. May 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM

2469 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gulfport, Ms
    Vehicle:
    It does all work. Tried all of it and it worked like a charm. From what I was seeing online I think it was called something like VIP...don't quote me on that, gonna spend some time this weekend actually looking around under the dash to see if it has any info anywhere.

Edit: Actually one thing didn't work. I couldn't get the system to be totally silent but I was able to switch back and forth from chirps to horn. Doesn't really bother me though, I like to hear my alarm being armed.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  12. May 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    My stupid dealer installed an aftermarket alarm too, but it has a blue light down between the steering column and the parking brake. It too has a button underneath which I have used to turn off the honking of the horn that coincides with the lock/unlock beeping. I figured this was just another brand of the same light/button combo.. sounds like it is. Although I like blue lights.. they are better security systems, I'm sure of it.

13. May 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    So where is your DAC ? ;)

1-26-11014_2bf5fe4444b55452650b2afc2775ff632259b9bf.jpg

14. May 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Same place your hood scoop, fourth rear leaf and color matched trim is.. back at the factory. lol

15. May 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    thelivestone

thelivestone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax
    stock for now
    just tell people its like the button from Men in Black, super hyper space machine mode activated!!! And elvis starts playing

16. May 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I am so happy I can get a truck without those Sport things that do nothing for actual driving. However the extra leaf probably isn't a bad thing for a truck. Fortunately they corrected the problem my '05 had, and my '10 doesn't bottom out when loaded, even though there are still just 3 leafs.

Anything that improves the truck's performance I am in favor of... vanity stuff like a fake hood scoop and color matched trim doesn't improve the truck's ability, so I can do without those things. Obviously a big chuck of Tacoma buyers love it, and that is why Sport sales are so high (perhaps sales staff steering clients to a certain model helps too?). Tacoma, a mid-size truck model for everyone, right?

17. May 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Ermahgerd

18. May 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    That is what owner's manuals are for? I had to take the opening. I fight with the kids all the time about reading theirs. I had one that I had to keep on about checking his oil. He called me once from school and asked it I could come fix his car. I loaded it up on a trailer and dragged it home. Turns out he was just adding a quart of oil now and then. Car with 4 qt. capacity had 2.5 gallions. Totally locked up.

19. May 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM

2469 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gulfport, Ms
    Vehicle:
    Agreed but dont have one.

20. May 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    HTX

HTX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your right it's called the VIP security system available as an upgrade from Toyota, even though its just a basic alarm. There is no truly silent arming on it, just horn and beep simultaneously or just beeps. My 2013 came with its own manual for the alarm, pretty much everything you posted earlier.

Products Discussed in

To Top