Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100 Bills settings & springs questions

Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
searchgeek
sportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsguy's Tacoma Gallery
5100 Bills settings & springs questions

OK, so following all my suspension lift option research, I'm thinking I'm getting close now. Looks like my desire to skip the 5100s might have been misplaced, as after considering everything, they might be just what I'm after.

Crow having been consumed, I'm left with the following...

I have a red cab 4wd.

Assuming the 884 OME springs for the lighter weight of my truck, should I bump to 885s if I plan to add an ARB bumper up front? No plans for a winch at this time.

...and it's the 1.75 setting to level these trucks, correct?

...with a 5mm spacer on the driver's side to counter bro lean, right?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
searchgeek
sportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hmmm...strangely quiet. Have I stumped the chumps?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Stockmonester is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Stockmonester's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stockmonester
I put 884 coil on my 10 rc, I got 3 inches of lift. MInd you I measured right after i dropped the truck and took it for a spin. I took the coils off to put 5100 in at .85 im about 1 lower in the front than the back but from a distance it looks just about level.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
not sure on the 884's but Im thinking the Billies at .85 will put you almost level without new springs. And 885's I am pretty sure will lift you 2-3" so with this all said you will need something in the rear AAL or Leaf pack if you go the new spring route which might also mean UCA's needed in the front if you are over 2.5" of lift
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubi1414 View Post
not sure on the 884's but Im thinking the Billies at .85 will put you almost level without new springs. And 885's I am pretty sure will lift you 2-3" so with this all said you will need something in the rear AAL or Leaf pack if you go the new spring route which might also mean UCA's needed in the front if you are over 2.5" of lift
885's will put you at about 2.5" of lift on a V6 Tacoma, you'll get more than that if you put them on a 4 cylinder regular cab.

OP, you've got a lot of types of lifts being thrown around in your original post. If you use just 5100's and stock springs, you can set the 5100's to whatever you wish. Generally 1.75 will level a truck but being that you have a lighter truck, .85 might just get you there. If you use OME springs, keep the 5100's at 0 and let the springs do the lifting. If you go with 884's for now and add an ARB later, you can always kick the 5100's up to .85 or swap out to 885's to counter act the sag from the weight of the bumper. 884's and 885's have the same spring rate (made from the same coil), the 885's are just 1/2" taller.

How much lift are you looking to gain in the end?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
searchgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
885's will put you at about 2.5" of lift on a V6 Tacoma, you'll get more than that if you put them on a 4 cylinder regular cab.

OP, you've got a lot of types of lifts being thrown around in your original post. If you use just 5100's and stock springs, you can set the 5100's to whatever you wish. Generally 1.75 will level a truck but being that you have a lighter truck, .85 might just get you there. If you use OME springs, keep the 5100's at 0 and let the springs do the lifting. If you go with 884's for now and add an ARB later, you can always kick the 5100's up to .85 or swap out to 885's to counter act the sag from the weight of the bumper. 884's and 885's have the same spring rate (made from the same coil), the 885's are just 1/2" taller.

How much lift are you looking to gain in the end?
Good point Pugga - I might be combining things I don't need here.

ideally, I'd like to stay around 2" max, so somewhere between 1" and 2" is fine. Ideally, I'd level the front and simply upgrade the rear shocks while using the factory leaf springs in back. I think this combo will allow for:

1 - ride comfort I want
2 - load capacity I want
3 - slight benefits offroad
4 - better ride control with upgraded dampers
5 - manage the weight of the ARB front bumper that'll come

Though I am concerned about the stock springs being able to manage the added weight of an ARB bumper effectively when offroad. I'm a conservative driver, but a mass of steel flapping around on weak springs affects a bunch of other stuff the physics gods get a kick out of.

My fall back is to say f*ck it, grab a 2" OME kit with Dakars (maybe) and swap the front diff bearing to help with vibes (should they appear) and grab a Tom Woods one piece driveshaft to help out back (again, if needed).

Front bushing swap in the diff is likely to happen in any event as preventative, but the rest (the full-on OME kit) would be overkill for my actual use of the truck (my desired use would make it all just right, but in reality, I'm trying to keep it real...)
Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
searchgeek
Any more feedback gang?