1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why I LOVE TW! ... A FSM is HOW much on ebay?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sportsguy, May 22, 2013.

1. May 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    sportsguy

sportsguy [OP] searchgeek

Member:
    This started simply enough - a trip to Amazon to buy a Haynes or Chiltons manual for my 2011 Tacoma. Surprise, surprise...they haven't printed any...LOL

Sure, the 2009 might be mostly the same, but when I'm upside down under my dash, "close" will just piss me off and remind me what a waste of time & money the book was...

Next up, a search here.

...whereupon I discovered I can subscribe to a DIY service access with Toyota online - now we're cooking with gas, I'm thinking! Sure, sir, right this way...you have your $400 a year fee, right?

Sorry, my wife is calling me...be right back... *runs*

Clymers (nope), Bentley (nope), Chiltons (nope), Haynes (nope)...nothing it seems for the 2011 model (in most cases, nothing even for this generation of truck!).

Over to eBay to do this the right way - buy a factory service manual.

Holy shit! Full stop! No f*cking way!

2011 FSM (brand new, mind you) - $880.
    2010 FSM - $990.

Now, I really like having a manual at hand while working on my vehicles. Always nice to double check things before the screw driver hits the metal bits. The cost of those FSMs, htough, is simply extortionist!

But, we're living in the wired age, so maybe I have to change; get with the times, as it were...

While my wifi doesn't extend out to my driveway, and I have little interest in printing random pages to have on hand from websites, I will forever be grateful to Tacoma World and it's members for taking their time to create excellent content that answers so many questions.

Staring at my dash, wondering how the heck I get access to the back of the head unit, it just ain't obvious. 30 seconds on this site and I know where to start!

Same if I want to upgrade speakers. First step, remove the door panels - again, how do I do this without potentially breaking a clip, which I then need to chase down a replacement for, etc, etc.? TW to the rescue again!

So as a member I want to personally thank everyone for contributing to such a great forum! To the mods, being a mod elsewhere myself, you have my never ending respect for the work you do. To the owners, thanks for taking the risk way back and starting the site. As someone who's job it is to help businesses be more successful online, I know all the work and effort it takes to grow a community. Well done!!!

Now, I must tinker... :D (That's TINKER...not tinkle... ;) )

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
  3. May 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    06 tacoma owner

06 tacoma owner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Madisonville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    Stock...for now

4. May 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    sportsguy

sportsguy [OP] searchgeek

Member:
    Then you missed the discount code I uncovered for the FSM! LOL

Kidding...I kow you just had to use the gif somewhere... ;)

5. May 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Dafuq? lol

To OP, I second the notion. TW makes owning a taco even more awesome than it already is, and the mod ideas and support here are great.

6. May 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    06 tacoma owner

06 tacoma owner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Madisonville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    Stock...for now
    Yea since I figured out how I wanted to use it :D

7. May 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    Awesome! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. May 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    It starts that way. God help you. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  9. May 22, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    kn61408

kn61408 Retired old fart

Member:
    western washington
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DCLB sport pyrite mica
    12v always on power point mod, tailgate anti-theft, Addl bed tiedowns, flyzeye dash lights, map lites with dome lite mod, bed stiffeners, air bags, brake controller, always on fog lights,
    I agree with OP. This site has given me soooo much info on my truck that is not available anywhere else. It has also cost me $$$$$$. All those mods! Haha. Some of the mods are so easy and handy, i.e. power point in the bed, add'l tie downs, bed and underhood lighting, and a myriad of others. Thanks, TW!

10. May 22, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    I can't find it at the moment, but I know there's a thread that has the link to download the whole fsm.

Products Discussed in

To Top