Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Interior creaks/squeaks on manual transmission?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Interior creaks/squeaks on manual transmission?

Has anyone else had problems with a creaking noise on the lower console to the driver's side of the stick shift on a manual transmission. I'm likely going to have to take the console apart to get to the bottom of it. It's not terribly bad, but mildly annoying on a new truck.

The other problem that I'm having is with my clutch pedal. The thing squeaks like a mother when I'm letting it out. I've greased every movable part on it, short of disassembling the lower dash and the clutch pedal assembly, and it keeps coming back... My 98 4Runner used to do the same thing, but the white lithium grease cleared that up for good, so I'm surprised it's not working on the Taco. I'm probably going to have to take it to the dealer to have them deal with it, but just don't want to waste a half a day of work doing so. Does anyone have any suggestions for that?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Marazzito will become famous soon enough

Marazzito's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marazzito Send a message via Yahoo to Marazzito
I have a funny buzzing noise coming from my transmission when it is in the upper gears (1st, 3rd, 5th).

Clutch pedal squeek will never go away... even with the TSB for it. In fact if you find away to get rid of it please share with us (and Toyota) the remedy.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marazzito View Post
I have a funny buzzing noise coming from my transmission when it is in the upper gears (1st, 3rd, 5th).

Clutch pedal squeek will never go away... even with the TSB for it. In fact if you find away to get rid of it please share with us (and Toyota) the remedy.
Hey I have a quick question? is the buzzing sound from the driver side and does it flucuate with the engine speed. I have maybe something similiar and it is in all gears and it is a high pitched sound. I hate it and it is the worst when the radio is off and driving with the windows up. The dealer said it would take them forever to find what it is and so far I cant find it. It some what sounds like electrical.
If anyone else has this could you let us know some ideas that you might have.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Hey I have a quick question? is the buzzing sound from the driver side and does it flucuate with the engine speed. I have maybe something similiar and it is in all gears and it is a high pitched sound. I hate it and it is the worst when the radio is off and driving with the windows up. The dealer said it would take them forever to find what it is and so far I cant find it. It some what sounds like electrical.
If anyone else has this could you let us know some ideas that you might have.

Did you happen to run the power wire to your amp on the same side as you ran your speaker wires? The power wire can easily cause interference identical to what you are explaining. Just a thought.

It would be quick and easy to disconnect the amp and drive around the block to see if this is the issue.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Did you happen to run the power wire to your amp on the same side as you ran your speaker wires? The power wire can easily cause interference identical to what you are explaining. Just a thought.

It would be quick and easy to disconnect the amp and drive around the block to see if this is the issue.
This is a possibility but I didnt install the amp a shop did for me. So I will have them check it out for me and thanx for the input.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
My console squeaks, but I also lean against it with my right leg...

The clutch pedal squeak was corrected when they replaced my entire assembly under the TSB...

Which TSB is this exactly? I tried finding it on the compilation but could not
Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a bunch, I'm on it!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
jasper07 is on a distinguished road
jasper07's Tacoma Gallery
No issues here. Take it to the dealer. Thats what the warranty is for.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
so does this replace the clutch itself or only work on the pedal. I assume only the pedal but I'm hoping the whole thing since I'll have to replace it eventually. I also am going to replace it eventually so I'm just hoping
Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Got mine done 2 or 3 years ago under the below TSB...

From TN:
I don't think that TSB Applies to my '09, but I guess it's worth a shot. I thought the squeak was caused where the turnover spring attaches to the pedal sub-assembly, and when I grease that up, it seems to go away... for about 5 minutes.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think they replace the entire clutch. Just the pedal assembly (or part of it). Mine was done some time ago, and the pedal still squeaks sometimes.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
any hope they could readjust it so it engages without the pedal being COMPLETELY let out like it is now
Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
Aspiring wrench monkey

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I talked to the manager of the service department at the dealership. They're going to take apart the clutch pedal assembly and grease everything, bleed my brake lines, and do the suspension TSB
Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
My clutch is squeking too... let us know if the TSB fixes it. I hear mixed reports
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
Well, I talked to the manager of the service department at the dealership. They're going to take apart the clutch pedal assembly and grease everything, bleed my brake lines, and do the suspension TSB

Good luck with the squeak! I had and still have the same problem. Took the truck in to have the TSB performed and "after further inspection we have determined the TSB is not necessary." So the guys ended up taking the assembly apart and re-lubricating some moving parts. The squeak went away for almost a full month, then returned and has since not gone away.

Sooner then later I will return to the dealer and hopefully have the issue resolved once and for all. It is just a matter of making it over.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
Aspiring wrench monkey

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Good luck with the squeak! I had and still have the same problem. Took the truck in to have the TSB performed and "after further inspection we have determined the TSB is not necessary." So the guys ended up taking the assembly apart and re-lubricating some moving parts. The squeak went away for almost a full month, then returned and has since not gone away.

Sooner then later I will return to the dealer and hopefully have the issue resolved once and for all. It is just a matter of making it over.
Yeah, I don't expect them to do the TSB since it's only applicable to '05 and '06 model trucks. I figure I'll let them fix it before I start tearing apart the dash and disassembling the clutch pedal myself. It's terrible on mine... it actually is squeaking when I depress and release the clutch pedal.

I've only been able to stop it temporarily myself by greasing it... it usually only lasts a little while before it starts squeaking again. I put 125k miles on my 4Runner, and I only had to apply grease once to stop the clutch pedal from squeaking on it!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
09silvertaco is on a distinguished road
09silvertaco's Tacoma Gallery
my 09 clutch pedal has been squeaking since about 1k miles...i have 5k on it now. i haven't pursued it too much b/c i know the tsb only covers to 07 or 08 as of right now. i have thrown a bit of lube on it which seems to be an intermediate fix.