Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Broken wire close to plug in wiring harness, how do I fix?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
Poolstick is on a distinguished road

Poolstick's Tacoma Gallery
Broken wire close to plug in wiring harness, how do I fix?

So yesterday when I was trying to drill a hole to add a switch below my 4wd knob, I managed to catch the wires coming out of the back of the knob with the drill, which ended up breaking one about 1in from the white plug that connects to the 4wd switch. Its a big plug, with about 5 terminals, but only 3 wires going into it (black/white, grey, and blue). Because I have only an inch to work with, I'm a little nervous about stripping it and using a crimp connector. Is there any way to get the little bit of wire out and attach the existing wire (which has plenty of slack) directly into the plug? I've also considered soldering them together, but I tend to make a mess of it and since I don't have a lot of wire to work with, that makes me a little nervous as well. Also those wires are so tiny, is there a trick to working with them?

Search didn't turn up much, but maybe I'm not using the correct terminology. If anyone needs more info or pics, let me know.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Without seeing the wire and not really knowing how it connects inside the switch my only advice at this time would be to solder and then use shrink wrap over the wire. That way you know you still have a good connection. Like you said, I wouldn't use a crimp connector especially if the wires are that small. You want something that will last and you know will stay together and with solder you'll get that.

Sorry I can't give you any better advice but without a picture of the connector that's all I got.

Hope you get it fixed. I hate it when I do stuff like that.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
get a replacement terminal and pop out the cut one
(depending on the connector, you insert a tool and the plugs
come right out of it) and crimp on the terminal on the other
end of the cut wire and jam it back in. or just get a splice and
solder the two back together and use heat-shrink around it

pretty simple really the only roadblock is identifying the terminal type

digikey will have the parts you need, this is just a small sample

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...page/2?k=blade
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Poolstick is on a distinguished road

Poolstick's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip. I ended up going with solder + shrink wrap. Seems to be working for now.