Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 Fog Light anytime w/ fuse...step by step

Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #21
SpruceJPG is on a distinguished road

Name: .JPG
SpruceJPG's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice write up! I have tried doing this on my 2013 SR5, but the open spots in the fuse box are not hot/wired. Just empty... like the feeling in my heart when I realized I still cant turn on just my fog lights.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
I like this mod, but wondering if the plastic housing will hold up to long term use. I did this to my Miata's fog lights and the plastic bulb holder melted after less than a year's use on both sides. Yes they were factory bulbs.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
My drinking team has a wheeling problem
V5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: V5ioV
V5ioV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceJPG View Post
Very nice write up! I have tried doing this on my 2013 SR5, but the open spots in the fuse box are not hot/wired. Just empty... like the feeling in my heart when I realized I still cant turn on just my fog lights.

thanks,

find a hot source… preferably one thats only hot when car is on! and follow the same concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommiet View Post
I like this mod, but wondering if the plastic housing will hold up to long term use. I did this to my Miata's fog lights and the plastic bulb holder melted after less than a year's use on both sides. Yes they were factory bulbs.
I dont know for sure! but I've had mine "on" for hours, *no issues yet!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #25
4508js is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: K-9 / Patrol
4508js's Tacoma Gallery
If you use the fog light button to turn the lights off will they turn off ? Just curious, I want to do this mod myself. Thanks for the write up
Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
4508js is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: K-9 / Patrol
4508js's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice write up with detailed pics, I just went out and did it to my '13 TRDOR and it was very easy. I really like the extra light when my high beams are on, thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
Naholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud ofNaholo808 has much to be proud of

Name: Jordan
Naholo808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by V5ioV View Post
I use this method….http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6138091 so credit go to azchris, but i decided to take pics of the step by step i used to make everything fit nice and clean…. also this is my 1st attemp at a DIY write-up!!! so I hope Im clear enough

here is what i used:

*1 In-Line Fuse holder

*1 Fully Insulated-Crimp-On quick disconnects (1/4')' MALE (insulation came off but these were a little longer than the non insulated) *replaced w/ heat shrink

*1 Insulated-Crimp-On quick disconnects (3/16'') FEMALE (insulation came off to fit between relay and fuse box wall) *replaced w/ heat shrink

*about 4in of heat shrink

***read the entire install as you may have to shorten the lengh of the In-Line fuse Holder wires***

these are the points of contact we will be using:

i started by taking the insulations off on the quick disconnects, Both male and female

the male tab is bigger that the female we are going to tap into, so i use a dremel to shave a little and make fit:

to about this:

and then bend like this:

now you bent the furthest down left tab on the fog relay as tight as possible but with enough space to put in the already stripped female quick disconnect…something like this:

now attach each end of the In-line fuse holder to the quick disconects and put the heat shrinks

and then attach the female to the bent tab of the fog relay:

now finally back to the fuse box….
insert the male tab as noted in this pic and the inset the relay:

and finally replace the fog relay with the female end already attached previously….

if you cut the wires right, you should be able to tuck them in nice and clean and the box will close just as normal:

and here it is!

I tested it and it works in all settings:
Fogs alone, Fogs with DRL, with parking light, with Low Beams, and with High Beams….
and they come off when shutting the car off….
Does this mod make your fogs go on in the middle of the night or just go on random times? I've been reading some posts saying that sometimes those things happen.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #30
My drinking team has a wheeling problem
V5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: V5ioV
V5ioV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naholo808 View Post
Does this mod make your fogs go on in the middle of the night or just go on random times? I've been reading some posts saying that sometimes those things happen.
nope! only when you manually turn them on…. but w this mod you can turn them on at any time…regardless of which light mode you got on or even while all your other lights are off…. also they will always come off when you shut the ignition!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #32
LoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud of
LoneCynic's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up, I will do this in the near future when time allows. Should be very helpful!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
zk6760 is on a distinguished road
zk6760's Tacoma Gallery
Question - is there any sort of 'switch' I can add to the wiring to shut the mod off?

It wont pass inspection where I live and it would be nice to just "flip the mod off" without DC'ing anything to quickly get inspected and then turn it back on. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #35
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
Ok i want to do this mod on my 2006, but just not sure where to run the jumper wire from and to..any help on this, here are the pics of my fuse box, and lid

Take out the blue relay circled in red, bend the tab on the top right (as if it were facing down like it is installed in the truck, just like in your picture) using an add a circuit, crimp a blade connector on to the end of the wire, slide it on the tab you bent from the relay. Remove the 10 amp fuse circled in red, place the add a circuit in its place, replacing the 10 amp fuse into the empty slot in the add a circuit, add a 5 amp fuse to the second slot to fuse your fog lights to avoid blowing your 10 amp ignition fuse if something goes wrong down the road.

Here is a link to a mini add a circuit, you should be able to pick one up at your local auto parts store for a few bucks, make sure you get the mini blade fuse so it will fit in the ignition fuse's place. PM me if you have any more questions about how to do it.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...FSVgMgod9m0ASg

It should look like this when you're done.

Also, just FYI, using this method, if you leave the switch in the cab turned on, approximately 4-5 hours after you turn the truck off, the fogs will come on for about 90 seconds, the ignition system powers up briefly to run some emission control systems in the truck. So don't panic if your fogs come on...it is normal and won't hurt anything.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #36
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zk6760 View Post
Question - is there any sort of 'switch' I can add to the wiring to shut the mod off?

It wont pass inspection where I live and it would be nice to just "flip the mod off" without DC'ing anything to quickly get inspected and then turn it back on. Thoughts?
I have had zero issues with the safety inspections on my truck with this mod for the past six years.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #38
zk6760 is on a distinguished road
zk6760's Tacoma Gallery
I've had them checked on a prior vehicle - just depends how thorough the inspection is.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #39
romiogt is on a distinguished road

romiogt's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for azchris for the orginal post, and Naholo808 for the write up, followed these instructions w/o issue and I am very happy with the result.

Materials

1x mini auto inline fuse holder 16ga - $1.50
1x 15a mini auto fuse - $0.60
1x male quick disconnects - $0.10
1x female quick disconnect - $0.10

Photos

On a 2013 there are no female connectors going to the empty SEAT HTR relay in the fuse box, so I spliced the male connector in with the male connector of the AC SKT (gray) relay as described; required just a little filing down to fit. Works exactly as per normal but I can turn on my fogs with my high-beams now!