1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Fog Light anytime w/ fuse...step by step

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by V5ioV, May 26, 2013.

1. Oct 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV [OP] My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    :confused::confused: YEAH…..Thanks you all!!!! :confused::confused: :D

2. Oct 27, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    showpare

showpare Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport, silver, bought used
    Stock mud flaps
    Did the mod as described for a 2006 Tacoma in about 20 mins. It works great! Thanks for the confidence builder. Longest part was going to get the 'add-a-circuit' from Advance. From hood open, to fuse box lid off, to crimp a 1/4" spade female, to heat shrinking, to checking the lights was about 20 minutes. Hat's off to the guys that blazed the trail.

3. Oct 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    Toms Tacoma

Toms Tacoma Active Member

Member:
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Limited DCLB V6 AUTO 4x4
    Thanks OP, Cost me about 6 bucks and 15 minutes. Very simple and I needed this mod.

4. Oct 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    Glad the step by step helped.

5. Nov 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    Brodie

Brodie Gear Jammer

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Magnetic Gray Double Cab
    Ok just did this today. Is it supposed to disable the daytime running lights?

I got no DTRL with the selector in the DT position, but the fogs will come on.

Is this a consequence of doing this mod? am I missing something?

TIA!

6. Nov 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    All it does is allow you to turn up fogs at any time. From factory you can only do it have the fogs on with the low beams.... As far as the light selections go, this mod should not affect your dtrl

7. Nov 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Naholo808

Naholo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    9th Island (Las Vegas)
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Off-Road
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Off-Road 3inch lift 33s Ko2s Matte black SCS SR8 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 2wd - Traded In.
    Try see if your parking breaks are on. DTRLs only works when parking break is off and truck is in drive. I was on the same boat as you. I called up my local dealership and they told me about the DTRLs. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  8. Nov 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Brodie

Brodie Gear Jammer

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Ah that could be it, its a Manual so its always got the parking brake on while running especially when I'm standing in front of it looking at the lights.

9. Nov 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    Brodie

Brodie Gear Jammer

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yup that was the culprit. Chock the wheels take off the brake, and the DTRLs come on, and the fogs work.

Funny thing if the DTRLs are on, and you put the parking brake on it doesn't shut off the DTRLs, they are only off if you start the truck with the parking brake on.

Thanks for the insight! :cheers:

10. Nov 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    Yep, it only does it on manuals when you 1st start the car....

11. Nov 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    Brodie

Brodie Gear Jammer

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yep something I didn't know before.

12. Nov 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Naholo808

Naholo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    9th Island (Las Vegas)
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Off-Road
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Off-Road 3inch lift 33s Ko2s Matte black SCS SR8 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 2wd - Traded In.
    You're welcome!

I was just like you when I did the mod. I thought I burnt a fuse or something but checked everything was fine. Lol

Enjoy!

Aloha

13. Nov 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    SpeedwayTaco160

SpeedwayTaco160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Killeen TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Sport SWB DCSB
    Will this work on a 2010 ???

14. Nov 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    .... pretty sure the 2010's dont have the extra little fuze box on the side...

Granted you could do the same thing but you would need to find the AC relay in the main fuze box it shouldnt be too hard.

But really.... WHY are you using a fuse here... there is NO point... the lead from the AC relay is already fused, and the relay it self only uses MAYBE 1/5th of an AMP to turn on... you are not supplying direct power to the fogs via this wire splice, just direct switched on power to turn the relay on.

Save yourself the time and energy and forget the fuse holder its not necessary.

15. Nov 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    When I made this thread I notice that the '13 were different that some older models... I would assume this works with '12-'14 but not sure. .... do your fuse boxes look like the ones in the pics on the write-up? If so, you should be good to go... if not, find the same points and follow the same concept. .. the way I think is the easiest and fool proof is to jump it from the ignition...
    good luck!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  16. Nov 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    You are prolly right about not being needed…. but your are still jumping the fog relay to the ignition. ..so how are you saving time or energy? Maybe saving a dollar or 2 by using straight wire with out a fuse, YOU still taping the same 2 points….
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  17. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

yes but there is no point to add a fuse... the power source where you are tapping from (the switched hot from ignition that powers the very low amp draw relay coil circuit) is already fused... and running a 3in length of wire through a plastic box has literally zero chance of shorting out, and if some magical way it did, it would pop the fuse thats already in place.

And FYI '12's and up all have this auxiliary fuse / relay box due to the need for the extra relay of the air pump that would not fit in the main fuse box... so they moved over the Fog light and AC inverter relays as well.

Either way thanks for this write up, i shall be doing this when i get the chance, the extra light from the fogs is very nice on low beams... high beams it would be even more beneficial.

18. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    You prolly right that it is not needed.... I saw it being done with the in-line fuse somewhere so that's what I went it but it really doesn't take any extra time or energy. ...
    And yeah man...This was my very 1st mod, and very useful for some of the back roads I use around my house.... fogs/high beams for side view and further line of sight....

19. Nov 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Hey...lyodbraun there is a write up in the mods section for our '06 Tacos.... search for fogs on anytime, I think... I did it in 5 minutes and it cost me 2 spade connectors and an inline connector and 6" of wire.....

I love it...

Have at it man

20. Jan 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    timmytoast

timmytoast Card-Carrying Illuminati Member

Member:
    Prison City, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4
    Black Plastiderp Front Emblem and Grille Surround, Relocated Horns, Bed Mat w/ bolt mod, Precision Fit seat covers, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Console and Glove Box Organizers, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, Pop N Lock Tailgate Latch, K B Voodoo Bed Brackets
    Great mod and easy to do!

Products Discussed in

To Top