1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Conditioning Not Blowing Cold - Need Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bhwang, May 27, 2013.

1. May 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    Bhwang

Bhwang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Working on it. Never Ending :)
    Hey guys need a little help here, noticed that since it has gotten nice and warm out that I used my AC and it is not blowing cold air, sometimes it gets a litte cool but thats all. I have searched Tacomaworld and read thread after thread with no help. Things I have checked

- switch on the coolent line
    - the compessor is moving when the truck is on, but once i click the AC button I dont feel the engine engage the compressor ? Could that be cause there is no Freon/fluid in the AC lines (look at pic)
    - cabin air filter is clean
    - I pushed the shredder valve for a sec and no pressure or fluid came out, I am guessing no fluid in there

What should i do next ??

This is in front of the radiator between the bumper, looking from the top of the hood.
    [​IMG]

2. May 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    Go to a dealer.

An A/C check should only be a few bucks. I wouldn't screw with those Autostore A/C kits. They are $40-$60 and you'd need two cans to refill a depleted system. A dealer will charge $90-$140 to recharge a system, and pressurize it correctly.

I just replaced my condenser because it got a hole in it. When my A/C went out I had a dealer check it for $35, then I bought and replaced the condenser myself (saving $1,200). I'm scheduled to have the dealer recharge the system for $110.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  3. May 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    llibrm

llibrm OH NOOOOOO!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Winthrop, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB, 06 LC120 (sold)
    Pelfreybilt Aluminum Bumper, KING 2.5 on all four corners, 4x4 illuminated switch, Cobra 75 w/ 3' Firestick, 2M/ 70cm Radio w/ Diamond NR770HB, Pelfreybilt bed bar, Lightforce Stiker 170s, BD 20" OnX6, BD S2 ditch lites, BD Fogs
    Have it either pressure checked with nitrogen or vacuum checked to find your leak. Usually with pressure it is easier to find with some soapy water. Then proceed with repairs as needed.

Just make sure not to use any of hose quick fix cans from vatozone or the like. Enlist the help of someone who knows how to properly measure the correct amount of charge for your system.

4. May 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    Exactly. If you over or under charge the system the compressor will burn out and that is an expensive fix.

It's a waste to try and recharge the system if you haven't fixed the "leak". A/C systems don't just "go bad" over time or anything, they get leaks.

5. May 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    Skeeter Skeetin

Skeeter Skeetin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Daphne, AL
    Vehicle:
    MGM 4x4 V6 6 speed
    5100's all around w/ 1.75" front. 1.5" Toytec AAL ARE shell with roof rack. Weathertech vent-visors and floormats 20% tint on front. Black and charcol wet okole's VLED V3 Triton DTRL's/turn signals. ECGS bushing
    I had a problem with my 2012's A/c on my last road trip. it was blowing really ambient for the first part of the trip. I kept switching between ricirc, Max AC and Normal AC. About 50 miles into the trip it started working like a champ and blowing ice cold again.haven't had a problem since, but then again i haven't used it since. Maybe it just needs time to knock the dust off.

6. May 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    Bhwang

Bhwang [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Working on it. Never Ending :)
    Thanks for the help guys, my guess was to take it to a dealer to get it done right. Thanks again

7. May 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    $110 full recharge at a dealer. Works like new.

8. May 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Just a word of warning, you should NEVER mess with the schrader valve on an AC system. Those valves can stick easily if not properly pressed and the refrigerant could then blow out and burn your hands/face/eyes if you are not careful. AC systems are not something to play with if you don't have the proper tools.

Gunshot-6A and Raxman80 like this.
  9. May 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Most likely cause for the clutch not engaging is low pressure as sensed by the switch in the coolant line.

If it is low pressure do not let them just charge it and push you out the door. You have a leak somewhere.The refrigerant doesn't just go away without a leak. Insist that they locate and repair the leak.

10. Jun 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    + 1000. Listen to this man, he darn sure knows what he is talking about! You can take what he tells you to the bank.

11. Aug 30, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Reviving an old thread but having an A/C issue on my new-to-me 2014. I was on the road the other day and needed A/C (don't need it everyday or all the time here). I turned it to Max/Recirc/Hi and it blew nothing but warm air for about 10 minutes. I pushed all the buttons, turned the switches, etc. but no change. A few minutes later, it started to blow ice cold air without me doing anything. It's been nagging at me since then, but it did it again yesterday. Seems electrical to me, but kinda lost on what to troubleshoot as I've never had to worry about the A/C on other trucks.

Any common late model 2nd gen issues I should start with? I've got a link to the FSM and their troubleshoot guide (pressure switch, cooler thermistor sensor, compressor pick-up sensor, or a connection at some wiring harness), but if there's a common problem or place to start, I'm :bowdown:

elioregon likes this.
  12. May 21, 2020 at 5:57 PM
    John37

John37 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Tacoma 4x4 4 door

13. May 21, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    John37

John37 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Im curious DesertRatliff,
    What did you find wrong with your truck, my truck is doing the same thing.

14. May 21, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    DesertRatliff

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Any chance you recently disconnected battery terminals, replaced battery or had it go dead? I've read here on TW that when the battery is disconnected, the ECU somehow delays/resets when it allows the A/C compressor to kick on and needs a few minutes to figure it out. Doesn't make sense to me but that's how I comprehended it. Maybe someone can chime in to corroborate my misunderstanding.

elioregon likes this.
  15. May 22, 2020 at 2:48 AM
    John37

John37 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    DesertRatliff,

When I read your post, you had the same problem I'm having, my ac is fully charged, some times its ice cold, but more than others it blows warm, I am curious since yours was doing the same, what did you do to fix yours, or did it start working on its own.

Thanks a million
    JDEdwards

elioregon likes this.
  16. May 22, 2020 at 3:00 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Do you hear any weird noises under the dash? Maybe a clicking sound of sorts. The dampers are motor controlled and some have reported issues with those. Stripped teeth on the gears that move the dampers.

17. May 22, 2020 at 3:10 AM
    John37

John37 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, I will have to listen this morning on the way to work. I haven't heard any, the weather here in Vermont, cold in the am, hot in the afternoon. ...feels alot like Bama weather.

18. May 22, 2020 at 5:47 AM
    DesertRatliff

Member:
    Mt. Hood, OR
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Mine does it very seldomly. Once or twice when the truck was new to me and once this spring, after reading what I had about disconnecting the battery terminals. I did a bunch of accessory wiring, so battery was disconnected for that and I attributed the delay in cold air to what I read here. Hasn't done it since. Knock on wood.

19. May 22, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    mray

mray Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl Base Access Cab 4x4

You know, I had the problem last week (first time ac used this year)...after about 10 minutes, it finally blew cold. And yes, I had recently replaced my battery. I haven't tried it since (I will today), but hoping that was the cause.

elioregon likes this.
  20. May 22, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    Trent_G

Trent_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Oregon
    This is exactly what happened to me. Changed out my battery in my 2015 then a few days later went to use the ac and nothing but warm air. About ten minutes later I tried it again and has been working flawlessly ever since.

DesertRatliff[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top