1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to buy a Taco, advice!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jedirye, May 28, 2013.

1. May 28, 2013 at 4:11 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    I've joined this forum in 2008, yet do not own a Taco. My Fronty had been quite faithful, however I had always wanted a Taco. I've owned the Nissan now for almost nine (9) years, but.... I'd like to finally upgrade.

After doing some research, I've decided on a 2013 Double Cab Baja. I realize there's a lot of hate towards the Baja, but it seems it would fit my needs. I'm no wrencher, so adding on what I would want, would be an issue and cost additional in labor. I like the fact there's some upgraded suspensions options, etc. and it's also under factory warranty. I realize the parts are not great or even my inherent choice, but still a great starting point!

Moving on, I'm in a bit of a difficult situation. I don't have the luxury of walking into a dealership and test driving what I want and picking it out. I'm currently in Iraq right now and have contacted a local dealer to get a jump start on my search. (I'm not in the military, by the way, however from my time over here I have a new appreciation for servicemen / servicewomen and my freedom in general!) I am talking with a sales guy from AutoNation Toyota in Pinellas Co. Florida, as that is where my uncle bought his new Tundra and he scored a lifetime warranty on his powertrain. I'll be headed home early/mid August, and just want to make sure what I want will be available. I don't know if I'm doing this too soon, but the sales guy is giving a bit of grief with the time crunch, stating, "inventory will be shrinking over the next month." I realize they put pressure on you to buy, etc. but what am I to do? I feel I lose a lot of bargaining potential since I am not there in person. I have made some phone calls but the time difference makes it difficult. I have no problem leaving a down payment on a truck as good faith, but as stated, I do feel I lose my bargaining options, if any. What would people who have recently purchased or just purchased in general, offer in advice? Should I continue to track down "my truck" or just wait until I'm home. I'm home for thirty (30) days and then back here again, with the hopes of at some point soon being home for good (hence the truck search!).

Well.... Thoughts?

Thanks so much for any and all help. I've learned a lot from this board!

Cheers!

2. May 28, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    MadMan

MadMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD sport
    De-badged and blacked out
    Have your uncle be the person to deal with them direct.
    You and him can exchange emails, so time difference wouldn't be an issue.
    He can order just what you like and pick it up when it comes in.
    Just wire him the money and have him store it until you get back in August.

Good luck!

3. May 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    At first I was not digging this idea, but now I'm thinking it's not such a bad idea. I'd actually prefer to still be the one that buys it, however, and I'm thinking with technology and whatnot, I should be able to handle everything online and have him pick it up when it's ready.

Kosher, no?

4. May 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Honestly I would not purchase one if in your place. You are not going to get the full benefit of the vehicle right now anyway and yet you would have to carry insurance. I would wait until I was out or permanently home.
    When that happens if you still want one you will get the latest model and be able to bargain as you should.
    I would suggest that you take the money you were going to spend and invest it for now and see how you feel when you are out. My recommendations are to look into a Roth IRA where you start building your retirement. Or perhaps a CD for now, but I would wait.

Products Discussed in

To Top