1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Resistance in 4H?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jgb8743, May 29, 2013.

1. May 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    jgb8743

jgb8743 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road SR5 4X4 Manual
    Hi guys, just a quick question...

I'm new to 4WD vehicles, and am not sure if this is normal.

I recently bought an '07 DC TRD Off Road v6 Manual, and I took it on a muddy clay trail and got to a point where I ran out of trail and needed to back up. I had it in 4H due to the mud, and started backing up. I immediately smelled a burnt transmission smell and felt like I was dragging a loaded skid up the hill. I put it in 2H and just punched it up the hill backwards, no smell, no resistance. I did a little research on the forums, and found about the REALLY tall reverse gear slipping the clutch under load, but the insane amount of resistance worries me. I checked it out when I got home, and there is no leaking, wasn't packed with mud or debris, and had no smell or signs of damage. Still engages 4H and 4L, no resistance rolling forward, but there is a lot of resistance rolling backward. You HAVE to give it gas to move backward, it will not coast back in 4H or 4L even with clutch pushed in. A little insight from experienced 4wheelers would be great! Thanks

2. May 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    On An Island

On An Island Assimilated

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Houston-ish
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5160 reservoir rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 height-adjustable front shocks, SuperSpring SSA19 leafs, Westin bull bar, KC Apollo Pro 6" spotlights, Leer 100XQ cap, K&N air filter, AntennaX 13" Euro antenna, tailgate washers, spare tire tool guide, Console Vault, FJ silver wheel caps
    Were the front wheels straight at the time? If you had the wheels cranked right or left (a lot) you will get "resistance".

Products Discussed in

To Top