Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

05 ATF change

Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Hadoken's Tacoma Gallery
05 ATF change

My 05 Prerunner is coming up on 60k miles and I am going to change the transmission fluid. I know the standard length is 100k miles, but I do not know if the previous owner towed with it so I would feel better changing it now.
I have the pages from the service manual that show the process of draining and adding the transmission fluid, but I was wondering about the filter.
Does Toyota just drain the fluid and add it back in, or do they drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket and do a total change?

Has anyone had it done at the dealership, and how much did they charge for the service?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Funny I am in the same situation. I just called my dealer on Friday to ask them the same thing. I have an 05 Prerunner as well. First off they quoted me (in MI) $130 to flush the system and $65 to drop the pan and replace the filter. The service guy told me (and I am sure others can confirm this) that when you drop the pan you don't get all the fluid out you just get what is in the pan. When you flush the system they get all the old fluid out and new fluid in. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet, maybe this thread will help me decide.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
A flush would be the best, as it will change all the fluid. I think I read on this site somewhere that Toyota just cleans the filter and re-installs, I'm sure someone will know a more definitive answer though?

I like the football pic harshest! I could never understand why they called it football here, you hardly every touch the ball with your feet??? Wouldn't handball make more sence? haha
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Hadoken's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if Toyota sells new filters or do they just always say to rinse them out?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...e=1158&PTSet=A
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
sliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the rough

sliverworm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sliverworm
I am looking to do the fluid change also, anybody know where there is a How-to? I have access to the service manuals online but they are pretty confusing to navigate..
Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
The best would be to take it to a transmission shop to have a proper flush. Otherwise I guess you could pull the drain plug and pull the pan off... There will be no way to change all the fluid though.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
Are you guys talking about the "sealed" tranny that uses the new WS fluid?

If so, there is a write-up over on BITOG about changing it.

Also, Redline is now making a syn fluid that is compatible.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2work View Post
Are you guys talking about the "sealed" tranny that uses the new WS fluid?

If so, there is a write-up over on BITOG about changing it.
Do you have a link????
Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Do you have a link????
Of course!!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...378676&fpart=1