LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4WD on the asphalt???

Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #101
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
But isn't it also a given that tires are squishy and don't have an infinite coefficient of friction that while rolling allow some slippage between the front and rear?

The last time anyone had a little fun and wailed on the gas to peel out, did the diff, driveshaft, transfer case or transmission 'splode or did the tires squeal and burn a little rubber?

I grant that there will be more wear since parts will be under load but I have never, in my 2 decades of off-roading, experienced a drivetrain binding up to the point that parts broke while driving in 4WD, on asphalt, in a straight line, in excess of 10 miles.

Physics mang. No infinite coefficient exists, only finite possibilities. Jones and Childers reports on coefficients of friction reflect to average approximately 0.7 for dry roads. On dry surfaces you might get as high as 0.9 as a coefficient of friction. In the posed situation, it would likely not to any substantial harm to a 4WD system. But damage is possible.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #102
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Oh, yeah, good! Then we agree All the AK folks can chime in and agree with me too, almost all of us just leave 4wd engaged 8 months outta the year.
This^^^

I have owned to yotas with over 200 k that I have driven around like this with no 4wd problems at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Still disagree that you cant turn in 4wd. Its a beautiful sunny day do I really need to make a video of my diff NOT exploding as I drive around in 4wd?

Oh, can I come too?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #103
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery

This topic is equal to Tacoma Vs Hilux

Everyone has their preferences and opinions there will never be a right or wrong that suits everyone unfortunately
Old 05-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #104
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipnoreo View Post
I have owned to yotas with over 200 k that I have driven around like this with no 4wd problems at all
Agreed
Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #105
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post

Everyone has their preferences and opinions there will never be a right or wrong that suits everyone unfortunately
Agree
Quote:
Agreed
Disagree
Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #106
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Man, why you gotta bring religion into this?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #107
To Be Continued...
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
So, here's what I gathered from this thread

You can only drive in 4wd on pavement if you were born gay, and it is raining outside.

If there's a straight stretch, and its sunny, you can engage 4LO, but only while driving 70mph or above, and you must be straight (by choice).

If you were born straight, then changed sexual preference to be gay, but then changed back to being straight due to some religious fanaticism, you can then use 4wd on dry pavement, but only while reversing into a handicapped parking spot.

If you choose to be born gay, then you can use 4wd anytime/anywhere, but you have to be reading the Bible.

If you were chosen to be born straight, then you can drive in 4wd on dirt roads or cobblestone, but only on Sunday. shomer Shabbat

Just wanted to make sure I got it right before I choose to drive my truck in 4wd.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #108

There are no words that can describe the previous post.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #109
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post

You can only drive in 4wd on pavement if you were born gay, and it is raining outside.

If there's a straight stretch, and its sunny, you can engage 4LO, but only while driving 70mph or above, and you must be straight (by choice).

If you were born straight, then changed sexual preference to be gay, but then changed back to being straight due to some religious fanaticism, you can then use 4wd on dry pavement, but only while reversing into a handicapped parking spot.

If you choose to be born gay, then you can use 4wd anytime/anywhere, but you have to be reading the Bible.

If you were chosen to be born straight, then you can drive in 4wd on dirt roads or cobblestone, but only on Sunday. shomer Shabbat

Just wanted to make sure I got it right before I choose to drive my truck in 4wd.

I gotta sig part of this I think
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #110
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
If I knew how to quote in a sig, you sir have made it.
That is amazing yet oddly enough makes sense.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #111
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
But damage is possible.
Not only is it possible, it is always going on. Entropy sucks. Physics mang.

Damn the great arrow of time.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #112
4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
4lo's Tacoma Gallery
Do not engage differentials unless they both agree on the terrain being mutually desirable. If the terrain is not preferable to like differentials keep them separate. It's all about choice.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #113
El Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shed
El Chip's Tacoma Gallery
But what if I need 4x4 and it isn't Sunday? Do I need to choose to be gay temporarily?

If I'm Muslim does that change to Friday? If I want 4x4 all weekend do I convert to Islam for Friday, go gay Saturday, and switch back to Jesus for Sunday? Will this cover me on pavement when its hot dry and sunny out?

Should this be a sticky? If you are bi or trans how does this affect your ability to use 4x4?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #114
4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
4lo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chip View Post
But what if I need 4x4 and it isn't Sunday? Do I need to choose to be gay temporarily?

If I'm Muslim does that change to Friday? If I want 4x4 all weekend do I convert to Islam for Friday, go gay Saturday, and switch back to Jesus for Sunday? Will this cover me on pavement when its hot dry and sunny out?

Should this be a sticky? If you are bi or trans how does this affect your ability to use 4x4?
My tranny is an atheist.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Not only is it possible, it is always going on. Entropy sucks. Physics mang.

Damn the great arrow of time.
There is also a non-zero probability that my Taco will turn into a unicorn and commence to pissing rainbows throughout the netherworld.

Some Clausious for your entropy
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #116
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
There is also a non-zero probability that my Taco will turn into a unicorn and commence to pissing rainbows throughout the netherworld.
troo dat! or would a "hear! hear!" be more apropos?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #117
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wishbone1965's Tacoma Gallery
What in the hell has happened to my thread?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #118
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone1965 View Post
What in the hell has happened to my thread?
Tacoma world, Tacoma world happened...
Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #119
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wishbone1965's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is pure brilliance!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #120
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My good Sir....This post has just caused the creation, and implimentation, of "Post of the Week"... You win for this week.