Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine Pinging & Disappointed with Toyota

Old 05-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
SAXD Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
SAXD Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Engine Pinging & Disappointed with Toyota

I've had my 2013 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport for about 4 months & 7,500 miles & so far I love it except for the engine pinging. The pinging typically happens between 1k-1.5k rpms, in 5th gear, between 40 & 45 mph while the engine is under load. However, the noise has been inconsistent at times, by which it usually happens 3 or more times in my 20 mile drive home from work, but I can't always make the engine knock when I want to.

I've taken vehicle to dealer several times over the matter. The first time they couldn't duplicate the noise, the second time they were able to verify that the engine was pinging & did not know how to remedy the problem so the technician opened a case with Toyota Technical Assistance. Toyota Technical Assistance responded to the matter claiming that it is normal for the vehicle to ping. Not being satisfied with that answer, I opened a complaint/case with Toyota Corporate about the matter. The Corporate representative, was very cooperative at first, saying that a regional factory service representative would be on site at the dealership to check out my vehicle. Then the conversation changed after he spoke to a factory service representative. Corporate is now stating that engine pinging/knocking is normal. He pointed me to look in the Owner's manual, on page 467, which states:
If your engine knocks

Consult your Toyota dealer.

You may occasionally notice light knocking for a short time while
accelerating or driving uphill. This is normal and there is no need for
concern.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I am just extremely disappointed/frustrated that Toyota states that it is normal for their vehicle to ping/knock. Especially when I have spent $30k+ on the vehicle. I know that I could put 89 or 93 octane gas and that should alleviate the problem, but if the vehicle is designed to take 87, why should I spend the extra money on higher test gas. Not really sure how to proceed, or what my options are from here.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about your area, but if I use BP, Shell, or Chevron around here, the knocking stops.

Only when I run cheap gas for a long time does it come back. That's just what I have noticed.

There is another thread on here talking to this more in depth. If you search around a bit, you may find something that fits for you.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I have not noticed mine pinging but generally try to avoid 40-45 mph in 5th gear. I think it is just the low RPMs that are causing it to ping. Has it done this over several tanks of gas? Might have been some bad gas when they switched over to the summer blend.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
where do you buy your gas?
Just because you can run/ do something, does not mean you should. thats like saying I can run cheapo oil.. does not mean you should if you want the truck to last.
put mid grade or hi test in and you pinging will be gone.. its your choice,
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I can't remember where I found the article, but there was one talking about how with the increased ethanol content in gasoline, it increases the risk of pre-ignition ping. Toyota has no control over gasoline, and while it IS designed to operate on 87, Toyota does not have control over the QUALITY of the 87 octane fuel that fuel stations carry. Not their fault.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I can't remember where I found the article, but there was one talking about how with the increased ethanol content in gasoline, it increases the risk of pre-ignition ping. Toyota has no control over gasoline, and while it IS designed to operate on 87, Toyota does not have control over the QUALITY of the 87 octane fuel that fuel stations carry. Not their fault.

exactly
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I'd run a few tanks of higher octane and see if it diminishes as engine "breaks in" and hopefully will go away.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of
Air Force: Security Forces 02-06
13TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
I can almost guarantee the culprit is fuel related.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
I had a car a long time ago that called for 87 octane. I fueled up at a Beacon station in town (do those even still exist?) and the thing pinged like crazy for that whole tank of gas. Next tank I went to Shell and put in 87 and the pinging went away. A few months later I tried an experiment, on E, put a few gallons of Beacon 87 in (different station) and it pinged like mad again. Filled the rest of the tank with Chevron 87 and in a few miles the problem went away.

The lesson to take away is that "gas is not gas". Your story sounds like another example of that.

FWIW my '12 will ping a bit going uphill in 5th at low RPM, so I kick it into 4 (slush box, not a manual). My dad's '84 pickup would ping going uphill if you come up on a good grade in 4th gear (lol, back then, in that truck, you counted to 4, not 5!). Same with his '98 4Runner and my old '04 Tacoma. Solution - downshift. Ultimately the wetware computer behind the wheel has to make the right decisions, not the digital computer under the kickpanel.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if it would help depending how fast you go through a tankful, but I've heard of people adding Startron to their tank for issues like this. I don't use it on my truck or my wife's SUV but it does help on my small engine stuff.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerald
savedone's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest that you increase your octane or change to a major brand and keep the engine RPM up when shifting and while under acceleration. Remember just because the pump says 87 octane does not mean it is 87 octane. It could be a point or even 2 off. Also I never up shift below 2000 RPM or try and accelerate below that RPM. You may get away with ping once in a while, (by once in a while I mean almost never) but if this is a regular thing you are doing damage to the head gasket and over time it will blow.
Serious ping/knock and you can damage the valves and or the pistons.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
markhanson is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
markhanson's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you in 5th gear at 45? I'm just then shifting to third
Old 05-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
So you spent a lot of money on a truck to skimp out and run the cheap stuff? On a full tanks it only comes out to 3-4 bucks more.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
HAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HAVOC's Tacoma Gallery
It might say 87 on the pump but it could be 85. We had a rash of check engine lights for engine running too lean. Gas stations were getting E85 instead of the normal stuff.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Ain't Toyota's fault, need better fuel
Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I just noticed you said it commonly happens going into 5th at about 40-45.

I am guessing everyone is right about the gas being one factor, but I have owned and driven several different manual vehicle over the years. Every one of them had a minimum speed they liked before going into a high gear. The higher the gear, the more sensitive they were. Yes they would accelerate if you shifted at a lower speed, but slower and often with some lugging and pinging until you got up to their "good" speed.

One had to get used to each different one and get the feel down pat of when to go ahead and shift. Like someone else said I am more accustomed to going into 5th at around 60 or more. But it's only 4/5 speed manual 4 bangers that I am the most familiar with.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC View Post
It might say 87 on the pump but it could be 85. We had a rash of check engine lights for engine running too lean. Gas stations were getting E85 instead of the normal stuff.
87 on the fuel pump is OCTANE rating, not ethanol content. You can have 87 octane fuel that is E85 ethanol.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Stop lugging your engine in 5th gear.... driving 40mph in 5th is just as bad for the engine as driving 40mpg in first.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #19
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Stop lugging your engine in 5th gear.... driving 40mph in 5th is just as bad for the engine as driving 40mpg in first.
And using more gas!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
SAXD Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
SAXD Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
where do you buy your gas?
Just because you can run/ do something, does not mean you should. thats like saying I can run cheapo oil.. does not mean you should if you want the truck to last.
put mid grade or hi test in and you pinging will be gone.. its your choice,
Typically the stations that I stop at are Shell, QT, BP, Kroger, RaceTrac. All are 87 octane and are 10% ethanol (can't find non ethanol gas in my area), which according to the owner's manual is acceptable. All stations are always super busy (no Mom & Pop fuel stations).

I might try to run mid grade or better see if the problem goes away.