1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC owners,do you wish you had a DC?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by alexc, May 31, 2013.

1. Aug 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    The bad of an AC:
    I went from a ranger ext. cab to a taco DCLB and love the change. my dog can sit in the back and poke her head out the window when i roll it down, cant do that in an AC. Also when i pull my boat to the launch i can get more people in my one vehicle so my friends dont have to search for a parking spot for an extra vehicle. love having subs behind the seat so i can still get my friends/whatever crap i want in there and still have a loud system that is hidden and protected.

The good of the AC:
    At the same time, my DCLB is harder to park in small lots. It's doable, but takes more caution. Also it barely fits in the garage so when i wanna do work in there i have to pull it out. If i had an AC, i could probly leave it in there. Also my DCLB wont drift as well on the MN lakes. My ranger was a blast to drift in, and an AC taco would be too. Perfect size to whip that back around and keep it there. The long wheelbase of my DCLB takes most of the fun out of that.

Overall though, it sounds like you are having doubts that the AC is enough for you. Thats why you put this post up in the first place. And that tells me that you will wish you had a DC down the road. Just get the DCLB, the DCSB is weird looking and way less useful to haul stuff, despite what other say on here. I wouldnt wanna haul an 8' sheet of plywood in a DCSB... near half the board sticking out... and i couldnt fit my 2 man flipover fish house in a DCSB.. it's 6 ft long and i have to get the tailgate up so my other little fishing stuff wont fly out.

2. Aug 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    [QUOTEmy DCLB is harder to park in small lots. It's doable, but takes more caution][/QUOTE]

Many people would disagree with this as I have found.... but I'm right with ya! Going from a DS/SB to a DC/LB was an adjustment.

3. Aug 8, 2014 at 5:25 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    O/D is geared a bit lower with the 6 spd. I get the same mileage as what is listed for the automatic and don't have to take it out of 6th when I tow. Just got back with my 3,000# camper trailer 15.2 MPG (yes I was going slow (50-55) normal driving 20 MPG consistently. There really isn't much difference between the two if you keep your foot out of it.

4. Aug 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM
    Richie Rich

Richie Rich Toyota Hoarder

Member:
    760 (San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2010 X-Runner 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    More than I can afford
    Very happy with the AC. Don't have kids, only a couple of dogs. Rear seat area is used for storage, no one has ever sat back there.
    Only downside I have found is the suicide door arrangement can be kind of a PITA when you are parked close to another vehicle. You have to kind of trap yourself between the regular door and the suicide door to grab stuff then close one or the other door to get out.

Also, the lack of a B pillar between the doors leads to some inherent structural integrity issues. I can hear the doors wiggle slightly when I go over uneven bumps. The paint in the doorjambs being scuffed where the weatherstripping contacts the top of the cab verifies this.

DCSB was never an option as I have to carry a 6 foot ladder for work and didn't want it on the roof or have to drive with the tailgate down.
    DCLB is just too darn long. I watch the guys with big, lifted crewcab trucks struggle to find parking near jobsites. Always seem to be Tacoma sized spots available though. Less so with this truck then my 1st gen standard cab, but still.

5. Aug 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    MJR

MJR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mickey
    Salado, TX & Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 LIMITED 4wd NIGHTSHADE & ‘23 T4R TRD ORP
    Removed factory bed cover and installed UnderCover Elite. Added LOCKERDOWN console safe.
    Ease of large dog alone. Only way for me is the back seat of DCSB.

6. Aug 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    When I bought my '09 AC I thought it would be enough room. It worked well for a few years, but as time went on I found myself needing more room for passengers and gear. I miss my AC sometimes, but I am loving my DCSB, I feel its the best compromise.

7. Sep 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    Taco14ID

Taco14ID Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4 Silver Sky Leer 100R BedRug
    Factory Tow Package, Leer 100R, full BedRug
    2014 DCLB: Cannot beat the highway ride with the longer wheelbase. Not as easy to get into a parking space though! It's the same approximate length as my '05 F-150 Super Crew (5.5' short bed) judging from my smiley face (door clearance aid) on the garage wall... Taco's just narrower. Could not get by w/o the full back seat. My previous '03 DCSB had an unusable back seat; at least for anyone over 4' tall. Okay for kids but I had to fold in half to get in the back seat. (that one time...) The 5.5' beds are okay for sleeping if you're not over 5'. I can sleep comfortably in my DCLB w/o issues and I'm 6'2". To each his own... And I might add, the older you get the less "looks" matter. Practicality rules eventually. You couldn't get me in a 4 door sedan in my teens or 20's. Two door coupes and sedans were the rage in 1960's California.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  8. Sep 25, 2014 at 4:43 AM
    dm1215al

dm1215al Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Step tubes,Window tint, HomelinK rear view mirror, changed the entune image screen Rear Differential Breather Relocation Extended AC condensate hose KB Voodoo tailgate cap Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system.
    NO, I like the AC.
    I don't like that whimp bed on the DC.
    It's an SUV with no back.

9. Sep 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I agree. For years I've owned trucks with 6ft. beds; now I'm down to 5ft., but can also comfortably carry more than 2 people. The 2015 AC was way to cramped in the back and the jumps seats didn't impress me at all.

In the end, it's all about what works for you.

10. Sep 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    DC looks like crap and my wife has a SUV. AC perfect :)

11. Sep 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    I hear only tossers and wankers buy double cabs...

12. Sep 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    tacoflaco

tacoflaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 ACLB Baja
    SnugTop SuperSport SpiderTrax 1.25" Spacers BAMF Sliders OEM smoked headlamps Pro Grille Paint matched grille surround Tepui RTT
    I had the DCSB and now have an ACLB instead. I found that I rarely needed the double cab space as I don't have kids/pets but often wished I had the extra space offered by the LB. For example, if I wanted to stuff a mountain bike in there without having to take off the front wheel, not possible with the SB.

Sure the AC is less comfortable for passengers in back, but I don't have more than one other person in my truck all that often, and when I do, the folks in the back can suck it up and be uncomfortable for a little bit.

That's my $0.02

13. Sep 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    When I was in High School I drove an X-Cab Hilux, then bought my first new truck in college a '98 X-Cab 1st Gen Tacoma.

Now that I'm a grown man with kids, the DCSB (DCLB is to long, and lack of rear locker is a seal breaker)is the only way. But I get why the AC fits for those still trying to sort their lives out and find their way.

*Edit* please only take my post for face value, I love all Tacomas really.

14. Sep 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    I was willing to get either a DC or AC, but I require a 6' bed- more hauling, some sleeping. Used DCs with 6' beds are rare, at least in my area.

15. Sep 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    RevoTaco

RevoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Sold - 08 6SP 4x4 AC TRD Off-Road
    I have an AC and wish I had a DCSB, at least right now. However, I think in the future when I go on camping trips with my girlfriend I'll appreciate the longer bed considering I am 6'2", so it's kind of a wash. But in most of my recent driving just using the truck as a DD or day trips to Azusa OHV I wish I had the DC so I can bring more than one friend along comfortably.

If I had to choose now, I would get a DCSB. However, currently owning a AC, I'm not dying to switch to a DC.

16. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Yup, I've heard the same thing around here too.

:D

17. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    sixspeedlife

sixspeedlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Braden
    MB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OFFROAD Six speed
    Leveled, BHLM, Black mesh grill, black skid plate
    My ACLB is perfect for me and gf and the dog. I wanted a six foot bed for all the camping and trips we take

The locker and six speed were a must as well and I'm not for seeing needing extra cab space for quite some time hopefully :rolleyes:

18. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    12thmanhawkfan

12thmanhawkfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 6-speed
    It's got some Mods
    I love my access cab! My thinking was that I have enough room to throw all my crap behind the seats but I'll never have to drive my friends around because nobody will want to sit back there. Also the 6 foot bed is a must for me, I realize you can get it in a double cab too but they seem to be a little less common.

19. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    the only thing I would change about my ac is to have the earlier version seats that folded flat to the floor. but not a big deal since I just store random stuff back there.

20. Sep 25, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    nucktaco

nucktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    south surrey, bc
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport
    satoshi mod, sliders, tinted tails/3rd brake, 3" lift,
    2008 DCLB. never wished i had an ac. i rarely carry people in the backseats but my dog loves the full backseat and i like the extra interior storage. have yet to have an issue on tight trails with it and i park it downtown all the time with no issues. and i have a spare tire hanging off the back, no backup camera and a piece of plywood instead of a backglass.

become comfortable with your vehicle and you should have no trouble putting your DCLB anywhere.

the shortbox looks horrible IMO and the 6ft bed sure is handy for camping and carrying parts for work.

Products Discussed in

To Top