Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

no new Tacoma for 2014

Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #121
Boss
TPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
TPain's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's funny how people are always wanting something more. You will probably be asking for even more after that in 5 more years. Honestly, there isn't much to complain about.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #122
SkottK62 is on a distinguished road
SkottK62's Tacoma Gallery
I actually like the look of the 2nd Gen Tacoma. Its one of the two major things that made me order one. I'd be more interested them in improving the inner workings more than the outter. Things like improving gas mileage, larger fuel tank, and 6 speed auto tranny, and etc., Things like that. But that's just me.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #123
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The Taco will still be the best-looking midsize pickup in 2015...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #124
Zarny is on a distinguished road

Name: Prem
Zarny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel1 View Post
They'd rather sell full size trucks and they're trying to force the public into them by discontinuing mid size trucks. (Ford, GM, Dodge). I was at a car show in Jan. and talked to a Ford dealer. He told me Ford miscalculated their strategy when they discontinued the Ranger. They figured their customers would buy V6 F150's. Some of them did but a lot of them bought Tacomas and Frontiers instead. People still want and need mid size trucks and they're going to buy them from the manufacturers that continue to make them.
I traded in 2009 fx4 ranger for my 2013 tacoma. There was nothing wrong with the ranger. The biggest problem I found with it was that limited space inside knowing that Ford makes a 4 door ranger for Mexican market with a diesel engine. Maybe removing ranger or limiting the options on it yielded more money for f150 for Ford, but they lost this customer.

The only reason I bought a new truck was 2nd row of seats for my kids.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #125
beatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud of
Name: Robert
beatupford's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel1 View Post
They figured their customers would buy V6 F150's. Some of them did but a lot of them bought Tacomas and Frontiers instead.
The loss of the terminix fleet sells should have opened Ford's eyes a bit. When they couldn't make the sell on their turbo charged v6 MPG over the Tacoma, someone had to have lost their corner office.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #126
beatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
The Taco will still be the best-looking midsize pickup in 2015...

It's not terrible imo, but I think it's interesting that GM is trying to sell a Hilux knockoff stateside. It's like their marketing department decided that Toyota's was full of shit, and they are determined to prove Toyota is wasting money on a dedicated North American model. This could end disastersly for GM.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #127
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I don't see the reason for a redesign. You can't fix what's not broken!!
If you continue to build the same thing for too long without much improvement your competitors will start taking over your sales as they begin to improve and you remain prehistoric.

In the mid size market there is not much competition but let's say in the price range for a nicely equipped TRD Pre-Runner ($30K) you have unfortunately some very convincing options... Which is why you will see a lot of "I sold my truck and bought a Dodge/Chevy/Ford" threads.

In order to stay ahead a new model is needed every 5-7 years (average going rate for model years) and needs to have more technology, Better gas mileage, more power, more optional luxury items (I know a lot of people don't like them, But everything these days are getting softer in order to stay afloat).
Old 07-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #128
Mickey is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Mickey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPain View Post
I think it's funny how people are always wanting something more. You will probably be asking for even more after that in 5 more years. Honestly, there isn't much to complain about.
now, THERE's a fellow who has learned the secret to happiness in life.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #130
New vehicle/Tacoma *****
theGastone is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
theGastone's Tacoma Gallery
I just want a Hilux diesel engine in my Taco...
Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #131
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPain View Post
yep. and plus the 1st gen lasted what like 9 years(95.5 thru í04)? all though it did have a few front end changes. but so has the 2nd gen now. I donít think it is over dew for a whole new change like everyone els seams too. Both the 1st gen and 2nd gen have been in production for about the same amount of years now.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #132
pbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pbm317's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatupford View Post
It's not terrible imo, but I think it's interesting that GM is trying to sell a Hilux knockoff stateside. It's like their marketing department decided that Toyota's was full of shit, and they are determined to prove Toyota is wasting money on a dedicated North American model. This could end disastersly for GM.
GM has stated that they're making some substantial styling and tuning (read as "suspension") changes for the U.S. market Colorado, hence the long delay from the international version.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #133
Spitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Spitz Stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
If you continue to build the same thing for too long without much improvement your competitors will start taking over your sales as they begin to improve and you remain prehistoric.

In the mid size market there is not much competition but let's say in the price range for a nicely equipped TRD Pre-Runner ($30K) you have unfortunately some very convincing options... Which is why you will see a lot of "I sold my truck and bought a Dodge/Chevy/Ford" threads.

In order to stay ahead a new model is needed every 5-7 years (average going rate for model years) and needs to have more technology, Better gas mileage, more power, more optional luxury items (I know a lot of people don't like them, But everything these days are getting softer in order to stay afloat).

This is true in the full size market, but not as much with the midsized trucks. In 2009, the almost 20 year old Ranger was #2 in sales behind the Tacoma. Ranger sales were down that year, but Ford still sold twice as many Rangers (56K vs 28K) than Nissan sold Frontiers (#3 in sales). The Ranger was definitely prehistoric compared to the competition - most notably with no 4 door model offered, but they still sold very well.

I agree with you about the optional luxury items. Toyota has sort of backed themselves into a corner in this area. In order to not lose any customers due to lack of luxury, they are going to have to load up the higher end models (leather, sunroof, power seats...) and not raise the price AT ALL. The price of high end models is already at, or above, the price you would have to pay for a loaded full size truck. There will always be people who don't need or want a full size truck, but if you have been inside a Lariat or FX4 lately all that luxury sure is tempting.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #134
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
The reason the Ford Ranger was so popular up til the end was for the same reason the Crown Victoria was in production virtually unchanged for so long.

Fleet... For the fleet market. It has to be cheap to buy, Easy to use and low maintenance. For every non commercially owned Ford Ranger I see about 15 commercial Ford Rangers. Even the very last Ford Ranger ever built went to a pest exterminator company.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #135
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Ford is stupid to have neglected the Ranger the way they have. The Chevy and Dodge midsize trucks both blow, but the Ranger was too outdated to compete with Tacoma.

Who the hell buys the Suzuki Frontier anyway?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #136
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarny View Post
I traded in 2009 fx4 ranger for my 2013 tacoma. There was nothing wrong with the ranger. The biggest problem I found with it was that limited space inside knowing that Ford makes a 4 door ranger for Mexican market with a diesel engine. Maybe removing ranger or limiting the options on it yielded more money for f150 for Ford, but they lost this customer.

The only reason I bought a new truck was 2nd row of seats for my kids.
I'm in a Taco for the same reason - no 4 door Ranger. Had to fit a child seat and you can't do that with jump seats. Last truck was an '01 Ranger and I loved it. 4 cylinder 5 speed, solid little truck. Regret selling it... Should've just kept it as a 2nd (well, fourth) vehicle.

I hear the replacement is going to be uni body... What a joke.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #137
Quote:
Originally Posted by grueinthebox View Post
I hear the replacement is going to be uni body... What a joke.
If ford gives the ranger a chance, and goes with an f100 name or something that won't threaten their first series sales crown, it will be based on the global ranger. Ford's had too much success with their "one" vision to design a second ranger when the global one is getting pretty high marks from everyone else. If they can sell a euro inspired focus hatchback stateside, they can sell tons of the global ranger.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #138
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatupford View Post
The North American Colorado is reported to be wider, with completely different powertrains. We'll just have to wait and see how much commonality it has with the global version.

Some interesting details from the spy shots:
- No visible vacuum brake booster. Could be an electric brake pump a la TRD Off Road.
- Truck comes with beam wipers, hood struts, and hood insulation.
- Engine cover is ugly as hell.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #139
jsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jsi's Tacoma Gallery
What I want is a modern interpretation of the late 70's early 80's truck, something the size of a Jeep Wrangler with a solid front axle. But, I am sure I have the same chance of getting one of those as I do of finding a leprechaun.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #140
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Just have to go to Australia. The 70-series Land Cruiser is still made there, with facelift and modern interior: