1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have this???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomaniacmatt, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Feb 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

tacomaniacmatt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC
    kinda getting out of hand...
    Currently I am using the bed rail system to tie down my honda 250F dirtbike... it has been working but all the flexing going on is startin to scare me.

Has anyone tried these bed rack bars? looks like a lot better way to haul my bike around instead of having to take my trailer or trust the bed rails. here is a link to one: http://store.rampconnection.com/product.php?xProd=7888&xSec=73
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 23, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    looks like a good idea. I havent gotton a chance to put my bike in the bed yet

3. Feb 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    go into the cheap/free mods section and see how to add D-rings to the front of the bed. add 2 of those and u'd be set. cheaper too

4. Feb 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.

What jhodge said :D. Put extra "D" rings in and you can crank them down as much as you want, without danger of pulling the track off the wall. Mount the "D" rings to the bed bolts, you can't get much stronger than that.

5. Feb 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    come spring i'll finally get to but my bikes in the back, can't wait.. it's a DCSB, hopefully they fit ok.. i'm thinking of putting some type of plywood down so i don't bend the tail gate... something that would put the pressure near the sides of the tailgate, near the cables...

look something like this ...

anyone do anything like this instead of welding to reinforce the tailgate?

6. Feb 23, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC
    hmmm..ya i saw that and was about to do that, but i just really liked how the rack has 2 bike slots and has tie downs. Seems a lot more sturdy. I go riding a lot and I thought this would be better. Wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them. Guess i'll find out!

7. Feb 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC

Plywood would definitely help distribute the weight...however I never seemed to have a problem not doing anything like that, and as long as your not riding the bike in putting all weight on the wheels I dont think you should have a problem. I got the TSB done after just a couple trips and maybe after awhile it would bend, better safe then sorry so I would go for it.

8. Feb 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I agree...............extra d-rings to take the pressure off the rail you installed.

9. Feb 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    JeremyS

JeremyS Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Magnetic grey DC 4x4
    Toytech Coilovers 3", TC UCA's, AAL, All Pro Bumper (Front + Rear), Pro Comp 7005 Wheels, Duratracs. Alpine PDX Amps, Alpine HU, JL Evolution Speakers, JL 13TW5 Sub. Front Runner Slim Line Roof Rack & Canopy Rack, Leer 100RCC Canopy, Tepui Autana Ruggedized.
    I have the bed buddy in the picture, it works great and definetely gives me some piece of mind when hauling my bikes, only thing is our box is plastic so I added a few more bolt points just to add some more support as not to tear the existing 3 bolts out of the plastic. for the money I thought it was an easy, trustable decent looking solution. If I was really motivated I would maybe add a metal bar behind the bed (nut side) just to maybe give some more support, but doubt its necessary.

10. Feb 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    tacomaniacmatt

Member:
    NorCal/Ostate
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD offroad, 11 FJC

Thanks a lot for the input and help! Ya I was going to do the same thing and add some more bolts and get some fat washers on the other side to help also. Thought about a bar also..but if you got some bolts with washers there is no way it should pull out..so I hope hahaha :eek:

11. Feb 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    MotoTacoma

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    i'm out of warranty and i'm not sure if the tsb was done, i doubt it.. (i just bought the truck a month ago)

thanks for the reply

good luck w/the bed buddy, seems like a good investment

12. Feb 23, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I have an 09 double cab short bed as well and measured where the rear tire of my ktm200exc sites on the end of the tailgate. The longest part of the bike (rear tire) sticks 6" off the back.

bike is 7' from end to end.
    rear tire plants at 6'3".
    bed is 6'7" w/ gate down.

I am usually by myself and may load diagonally. The front can wedge in the corner of the wheel well and bed front. It adds 1' by loading this way. It also reduces the pressure on the front rail that otherwise begins to bend toward the cab.

One concern loading diagonally is that it places more pressure on one tailgate cable rather than both. But it wouldn't bend the tailgate itself.

13. Feb 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    MotoTacoma

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:

you are the man, thanks for the info.. i have an 01 cr125 i will be loading up, and an 02 cbr954rr (street)... i measured it up, i should be good however i need to ditch the hardtop roll up cover the previous owner put on, it takes up about a foot of the bedspace, it'll be up for sale soon, thanx for the advice, i'll post pics ASAP

14. Mar 18, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    Jim_SB

Jim_SB Active Member

Member:
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road JBL
    Hi Jeremy,

Does the Bed Buddy work over or under the factory rail system?

How hard is the installation?

15. Mar 19, 2009 at 3:05 AM
    anestech*

anestech* Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, eNVy
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC LB Indigo
    5100s, 285 Revos, TSB, 1.5" blocks, BHLM, Debadged, Linex'd Stubbs Sliders, Undercover, URD intake, URD MAF cal, Flowmaster DOS kit, relocated trailer light plug, Weathertech, Timbren, relocated rear diff vent, etc
    Put in front D rings, don't trust the bed rails. Don't worry about the tailgate, it will be fine with just a dirtbike on it. Plus, since 07, they are reinforced, only the 05-06 had the folding ones. I use the bed rail cleats to hold the front tire in place (one on each side of the tire) and it works great.

16. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    A fellow Katoom'er...good to hear. I have an 05 200exc and it treats me well in singletrack. Lifes been too busy for me to get into a hairscramble series but I plan to once things slow down.
    What do you race?

17. Mar 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    bigrog74

bigrog74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Off Road Rugged Trail
    Coming Soon....real soon
    I have the same problem. My bike is over 7' long (HD Vrod). I know someone who is going to help me fab a plate that sticks out 1' farther than the tailgate and ties in to the receiver to support the extra weight.

18. Mar 19, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I would love to see pictures of that!

I think I would get a trailer for something that long and heavy. You have somewhere around a 93" wheelbase and are over 100" from the front of the front wheel to the rear wheel base.

19. Mar 19, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    bigrog74

Member:
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....real soon
    I have a trailer, but would really like to be able to use the truck when traveling (with wife and kid) back home to visit family. I think the engine will sit just south of the rear axle. I can't verify because I haven't found a way to get the bike in there yet. Just by looking at a tape measure, it will fit on the back if I run it diagonally, but that puts the back wheel near the corner of the tailgait.

20. Mar 19, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    bigrog74

Member:
    Florence, SC
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....real soon
    Veccstar, where are you in western PA? My in-laws are near Washington and I like taking the bike up that way to ride with my father-in-law. I'll be headed that way Easter weekend.

Products Discussed in

To Top