Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plasti Dip MEGA Derp'N Success

Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
For Love of Truck
Soft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to all

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Tyler
Soft Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Plasti Dip MEGA Derp'N Success

Derped my stockerz. 2000 miles later... look brand new. Want chrome back? Peel right off. One full can per wheel. $24. Love that shit. Now... bring on the hate.

Tips, Tricks, & Other Suave'ness
  • Clean rim thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.
  • Spray in a well lit/ventilated area.
  • Wipe nozzle hole clean after each spray session. Spray on paper first to ensure smooth pattern. Chunky is not so hot.
  • I waited an hour between coats. 24 minimum for final cure before remount.
  • One whole can per wheel. I only sprayed what would be seen. Inner areas that never see sunlight remain chrome. BUT... it is smart to "wrap the derp" around the hard angles. Prevents peeling.
  • Let the derp "seep into" the crevice between the tire and rim. Don't let it pool in there, just get it down there and let it seal there.
  • I pried off the emblems after trimming their little feeterz. Then gorilla glued them back on from behind the center cap.
  • Tire left on rim. I used playing cards between tire and rim to prevent overspray.
  • DO NOT LET THE DERP DRY TO THE CARDS. Otherwise you will peel some of your good derp off when lifting away the cards. Cards. Spray. Remove cards. Dry. Repeat.
  • After each spray session I put a fan directly on it to promote drying and also leaves a smooth final finish. No bumpy derp. Watch out for debris the fan may stick to your fresh derp. i.e. dust, wood chips, small shit in general.
  • Took entire weekend ONLY because I am a perfectionist when it comes to my truck, I am lazy, and my wife demanded we watch Lord of the Rings extended editions back to back to back to ba....... good woman.

My "Pro Card" TAPE OFF Argument (A few TWers say dont worry about taping or carding off rim.)

Rim is on the ground facing heaven. Cards in place. Spray. Remove cards. Let dry. The derp has created a natural thick bead of itself in that crevice now. It dries to a more durable, less prone to peeling, thicker ring of derp. Not doing this will require slicing the excess derp from the tire to rim overspray. A blade will only leave the thin coat of derp freshly sliced and exposed. Derp is like a surgical glove. Whats at the base around the wrist? A thick rib. Without that rib the glove will tear or slip like no ones buisness. For you "don't worry about taping/carding" guys and gals... one day you will be pressure washing all innocent like, and then..... DERP PANCAKE WATER BALLOON FUBAR! My .02

"don't know if anyone's experienced this; but, (despite wiping nozzle and spraying upside for 5 seconds, as recommended) while waiting between coats, my nozzle would always get slightly plugged up; and the following spray would be all chunky and ruin everything i had done up until that point i bought some mineral spirits and dumped some of that business into the cap and placed the the spay can into it upside-down (submerging the nozzle in the the spirits), between coats didn't have any more clogging problems afterwards"

"The sig pic of my car below is a plasti derp white base coat and the gold is actually spray paint. Totally reversible and dirt cheap!"

NOW GET DERP'N And good rep is always appreciated
Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
nice! Cant believe they have held up that long great job!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Hate?! they look good and you can make them look original at any time. i say good work.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
For Love of Truck
Soft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
nice! Cant believe they have held up that long great job!
I pressure wash the fudge out of them. Trick is to make sure there are no corners or lips that can be peeled back.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Greg
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
So just spray on?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCCBEE View Post
So just spray on?
Clean well first, but yep, just spray it on in multiple coats. No sanding required
Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
I have been asking around to powdercoat my stocks.....$100 a wheel. This sounds way better!
Tire left on or have to take off?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
For Love of Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Clean well first, but yep, just spray it on in multiple coats. No sanding required
Bingo.
  • Clean rim thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.
  • Spray in a well lit/ventilated area.
  • I waited an hour between coats. 24 for final cure before remount.
  • One whole can per wheel.
  • Let the derp "seep into" the crevice between the tire and rim. Don't let it pool in there, just get it down there and let it seal there.
  • I pried off the emblems then gorilla glued them back on from behind the cap.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
For Love of Truck

Quote:
I have been asking around to powdercoat my stocks.....$100 a wheel. This sounds way better!
Tire left on or have to take off?
Tire left on. I used playing cards between tire and rim to prevent overspray.

DO NOT LET THE DERP DRY TO THE CARDS.

Otherwise you will peel some of your off your good derp when lifting away the cards. Cards. Spray. Remove cards. Dry. Repeat.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Win...
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
So Cal Edition
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I want to do the Wheels and TACO badges on doors.

Thanks for info!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
For Love of Truck

Quote:
Yeah I want to do the Wheels and TACO badges on doors.

Thanks for info!

Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
VinnyMack has a spectacular aura aboutVinnyMack has a spectacular aura aboutVinnyMack has a spectacular aura about

Navy: MM3 / USS Belleau Wood & USS Essex (97'-01')
Name: Casey
VinnyMack's Tacoma Gallery
Great job!

I have same wheel and tire setup and did mine on truck and didn't tape off wheel. Just peel over the tire and comes off easy in a ring of rubber. I just stuffed plastic bags in void areas so the brakes/rotors didn't get any overspray. Just make sure the derp is try before you pull the bags off.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
For Love of Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMack View Post
Great job!

I have same wheel and tire setup and did mine on truck and didn't tape off wheel. Just peel over the tire and comes off easy in a ring of rubber. I just stuffed plastic bags in void areas so the brakes/rotors didn't get any overspray. Just make sure the derp is try before you pull the bags off.
Off truck is highly reccomended. You can "wrap the edges" from behind like I had listed. Prevents peeling and promotes health, longevity, and good fortune. But your way works for those short on time and lacking a jack!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
AeRoRabbit
AeRoRabbit is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
AeRoRabbit's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder how it will hold up with taking the wheel weight off and on?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeRoRabbit View Post
Wonder how it will hold up with taking the wheel weight off and on?
Easy to touch up, but I had my wheels off already in prep for new tires, and had the tape weights on the back of the rim installed.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
AeRoRabbit
AeRoRabbit is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
AeRoRabbit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Easy to touch up, but I had my wheels off already in prep for new tires, and had the tape weights on the back of the rim installed.
And where do you buy this stuff from and what is it called?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #19

Plasti Dip and you can get a spray can at Home Depot in the spray paint aisle. Do a search on here, mega thread about it.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
So Cal Edition
Navy:
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
This kid has a pretty legit Video. Shoulda done the cards though.... F*$k rework!! Haha!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4F5iqzJVi0